Acid Pro 7 Now Available

Anderton

• Members

At this point, I simply can not imagine SONY could get me to jump from Live 7 to this.

There are few bigger fans of Live than I, but I still find Acid the fastest way to create soundtracks, and also, the fastest way to create loops without having to edit transient markers. It also does better at parsing loops than Live, with in many cases, higher fidelity.

Think of it this way: Acid lives halfway between Pro Tools and Live. For some people (and in my case, for some projects), that's the right combination.

But we'll see what happens when I actually check it out...

• Members

There are few bigger fans of Live than I, but I still find Acid the fastest way to create soundtracks, and also, the fastest way to create loops without having to edit transient markers. It also does better at parsing loops than Live, with in many cases, higher fidelity.

Think of it this way: Acid lives halfway between Pro Tools and Live. For some people (and in my case, for some projects), that's the right combination.

But we'll see what happens when I actually check it out...

With Live 7, the only major complaints I have is:

1) No event list

2) No audio editor

I can live without the audio editor, but having no event list is a bummer when working with MIDI (virtual instrument) tracks.

What are the functions in Acid that are more Pro Tools like? How does it help you create loops without editing transient markers?

Oh SH%T, I think your response and my questions to your response just convinced me to check out Acid. Like I really need another major software time sink...

• CMS Author

I haven't paid any attention to Acid since it was first released since what it did best isn't anything that I do at all. But I did sit through a private demo of Acid 7 at the AES show and it's come a long way since it was released. What particularly impressed me was that it appears to be a pretty much full blown DAW for recording, editing, processing (including pitch/time adjustment) and mixing, as well as being the powerful loop manipulation tool that it was when it was born.

I'm getting a copy to play with, though I'll primarily be looking at it as a multitrack recorder/editor/mixer.

• Members

I'm getting a copy to play with, though I'll primarily be looking at it as a multitrack recorder/editor/mixer.

I'm still using ACID 4 as such. I've had projects with up to 37 audio tracks with multiple plug-ins on most of the tracks without a problem on a Pentium 4 with 512 megs of ram. It was pushing my computer, though...

• Members

What are the functions in Acid that are more Pro Tools like? How does it help you create loops without editing transient markers?

Pro Tools: In the sense that it now has pretty much all the DAW functions you'd want - multitrack hard disk recording, MIDI support, etc.

Loops: Acid is still the best program for analyzing audio and creating transient markers so that the audio can stretch over a wide range without lots of marker editing. Sonar is not as good in this respect, although it does let you edit markers (helpful), and Live takes a more "brute force" approach to looping that's somewhat REX-like.

• Members

Craig, as someone who has stated he is still using version 4...

How is the time stretching algorithm is subsequent versions? Is it more transparent? It was always good, but you could still hear it. Has it improved?

Does it still have that certain
effect
to it?

It has improved over the years, particularly with regard to what Live calls "warping" longer files. I speculate that the improvement comes not from changes in the DSP algorithms, but the way that transients are parsed more accurately.

That said, speeding up works very well, but slowing down is the challenge for any stretching algorithm (including REX) because it has to create material where none existed before.

• Members

It has improved over the years, particularly with regard to what Live calls "warping" longer files. I speculate that the improvement comes not from changes in the DSP algorithms, but the way that transients are parsed more accurately.

Interesting.

How did the "groove mapping" thing work out? It would have been great for when that old dusty james brown sample was hitting, and you found the perfect loop to compliment it, but no amount of slicing, dicing, and sliding would make it work, ya know? The sounds meshed just right, but you couldn't force that loop to work...

Every review I read of LIVE (I haven't tried it) made it sound like it took all the work out of it. ;)

I think a certain amount of slice and dice is mandatory, since that staccato thing is kind of inherent to electronic music...and it's sounds cool, like stop and start thrash. :rawk:

But, I've used this program since version 2 and that's a long time. I know it inside and out. And I figure the new one would be easy for me to master. I can't wait until I get a new system with serious ram and A7/SF? and Vegas and nothing will be able to stop me then. Oh yeah, I need a digital video camera to do some vids for Vegas. Maybe two, for multiple camera angles. ;)

I'm glad I got started on Sonic Foundry software back in the day. It's great software that is great to use!

And I'm still on version 4 and SF5. :)

And I've been arguing Acid was a DAW since way back when. Considering I've been using it as one for years. :confused:

• Moderators

I need to check this out. I was an ACID devotee for a few years around ver. 4 through 6 I think. Then I went cold turkey and jumped into live band production. But I'm ready to dust off my old ACID skills and try and combine it with PT and live rhythm sections.

Once my PC hell settles a little I'll download the demo and see if I'd like to upgrade. Cool.

• Members

I loved Acid through version 3. After that if felt like it was trying to turn into a full DAW which I do not need. My biggest desire for Acid was the ability to use various loops within a single track. Once Sonar added this feature I gave up on Acid. When version 6 came out I upgraded but never used it.

Archived