A Quick Digital Performer Question

ggm1960

• Members

I've recently started to learn DP5.13. I've been reading the manual which keeps mentioning chunks, sequences, songs and of course projects although I'm not yet seeing the correlation between them.

Is there a hierarchy here, say like projects/songs/sequences/chucks?

I'm trying to figure out how I might best organize a set list of songs for gigs.

• Members

I've used DP for a while, and I don't get the whole chunks thing either. I suggest asking at

I'm sure lots of people there could answer your question.

Yeah, I see that's the old unicornation site, I'd kind of forgot about them. I used to go there asking questions about the midi interfaces but it turned out that no one was using the modifier, midi canon and patch features of the MTP II and MTP AV like I was, in fact, on the entire internet I only ever came across about three people that actually used those features.

I'll bet they know a lot more about Digital Performer though.

• Members

Chunks are basically a whole separate sequence, with the added advantage that they can use all the assets in your original sequence.

The way you use them is this. Suppose you are creating a big project that uses lots of software instruments and effects. Then, you decide you'd like to make some changes, but you don't want to lose what you already have. Well, one way to do it is to copy the whole project to a new folder and then work on the new one. In DP, what you can do instead is create a new "chunk". This allows you to keep everything you had, but stay in the same project. Then, you can easily switch back and forth between them. If you are smart and put most of your software instruments in the Virtual Mixer, there will still only be one copy of those.

You will need to look in the DP manual to see how to do it, but it isn't that hard. By the way, I also use Logic and Live in addition to DP. For really large projects that use lots of virtual instruments, DP works the best IMHO. Two reasons are the chunks feature, and also the excellent track folders and colors feature.

• Members

Chunks come in very handy for film composers, because you can very quickly switch from cue to cue without having to take the time to reload the samplers. For recording songs they probably don't get used often. I suppose the order of importance would be Project, song, sequence, chunk.

Steve

• Members

While I'm getting some good feedback let me ask if anyone is using DP in live performances?

I'm wondering if the best way to set it up would be to create a project called "MyBand" and then fill the project with songs/sequences of the songs in the set list.

Several years ago when I'd tried using Sonar live it became a hassle real quick because each sequence had to be loaded between songs which of course requires several mouse clicks and/or key strokes.

For some reason I get the impression it may be easier to cue up the next song in DP.

• Members

I have never used a computer live, let alone DP but it can be done. I have read many interviews of music directors for world tours like Madonna who use DP for live work so I`m sure whatever you throw at it, it can handle. Of course there is Abletons LIVE to consider. I have it and honestly, I just cannot wrap my head around the UI.

• Members

While I'm getting some good feedback let me ask if anyone is using DP in live performances?

I'm wondering if the best way to set it up would be to create a project called "MyBand" and then fill the project with songs/sequences of the songs in the set list.

in DP.

This would be perfect for using the Chunks menu to switch from song to song. It's really fast, since all that has to be loaded are the midi notes, and maybe a little audio.

Steve

• Members

Several years ago when I'd tried using Sonar live it became a hassle real quick because each sequence had to be loaded between songs which of course requires several mouse clicks and/or key strokes.

For some reason I get the impression it may be easier to cue up the next song in DP.

I've never used DP live, and I don't think I would. It is too big and bloated for live use IMHO. Plus, sometimes it crashes.

If you want something primarily for live use, I'd suggest either Live or Mainstage. I have both, and I mostly wouldn't be afraid to use either one in a live setting. Then again, in case of crashes or malfunction, I'd have some kind of backup ready.

To tell you the truth, if you're a keyboarist, I think Reason make make an even better choice for a live setting.

• Members

Some very informative information, thanks!

Are any of you rewiring Reason, or is that possible?

Yes. That's par for my course.

I have heard of people using DP live, but I personally wouldn't feel easy doing so. Maybe if you were just letting a sequence play, but if you were doing a lot of movement and work in DP (playing it like you would play Ableton Live), you might run into problems. I don't think it's always the most stable (especially version 6, according to many people at MOTUnation).

• Members

I've never used DP live, and I don't think I would. It is too big and bloated for live use IMHO. Plus, sometimes it crashes.

To tell you the truth, if you're a keyboarist, I think Reason make make an even better choice for a live setting.

I've noticed a little weirdness in my short time working with it.

I'm involved in two projects right now and the one where I'm not the "main man" I believe I am going to be able to just use Reason which, like you say, is a great option and very stable in my experience.

Archived