Favourite new productions?

findhs

• Members

Hey,

What are people's favourite recent productions??

Im really digging the production on ANNA CALVI from the UK. The production is really dense and orchestral but the song and the vocal cuts right through the middle. Sonically somewhere between Jon Brion and Nigel Godrich. and nice voice too!

MySpace.com - Anna Calvi - UK - www.myspace.com/annacalvi

:wave: :wave: :wave:

• Members

I've been listening to the online IDM station called CLIQHOP.

It's from a server based out of SFCA called SOMA.FM

Tune into it here: http://somafm.com/ Scroll down to where it says CLIQHOP and launch one of the listed streams in WMP or Winamp.

You know, I cut my teeth playing the acoustic piano, and playing Stephen Foster songs, and all manner of Tin Pan Alley, then following that logically into the rock canon.

So I'm fascinated with the "three-minute song". What it can be.

It just seems to me that the IDM ("Intelligent Dance Music") heard on CLIQHOP is pushing the envelope to the bleeding-edge of what a three-minute song can be nowadays.

If one is a synthesis fan, one will be gratified to hear synths also being pushed to the limits of the kind of "music" synths and computers can make.

As far as production values, they're characterized by pristine high digital fidelity, EXTREME ranges in the gain of different voices in the mix (lots of near-subliminal "ghosting" of voices), and EXTREME variety in pan placement of voices, some very evocative and downright strange reverbs, choruses, flanges, delays. Lots of fiddled "musique concrete" (SFX, recorded lo-fi speeches, snippets from TV and film, reversed loops, etc.) that would make Karlheinz Stockhausen beam with pride. Indeed, I heard a thing yesterday that was basically a souped-up IDM version of DER GES

• Members

My favorite production of the year is also my favorite album of the year (by a mile): "No Ceiling" by Haale. Produced by her great percussionist, Matt Kilmer. The production doesn't draw attention to itself (which I like), it serves the songs, which are deeply emotional, even spritual (the kind of spirituality you hear in Patti Smith's music):

http://www.haale.com/

Then there's Daniel Lanois, as always ("Here Is What Is"):

http://www.daniellanois.com/hereiswhatis/

• Moderators

It came out in 07 actually but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to mention Sondre Lerche's great CD Phantom Punch. If you try the link below you'll see the soundtrack for Dan In Real Life first. That's good... but it's not what I'm talking about. Scroll down to the 2 tunes from Phantom Punch. Mix Costello, Brazilian music, XTC and filter through a Norwegian punk type lineup that can play. Use lots of cool chords that shouldn't work on a distorted guitar, punk the drums up, use really cool melodies and progressions, in other words, cool songs. Sondre Lerche / Phantom Punch.

http://www.sondrelerche.com/media.asp

• Moderators

Another...

Jonatha Brookes "The Works". This isn't the first time access has been granted to Woody Guthrie's notes but I like this the best. Brookes writes music to Guthrie's unfinished lyrics. Produced by Bob Clearmountian in an anitproduction style. Meaning apparently no overdubs, from what I can tell.

Entirely live in the studio. Not even back up singers. Just Christian McBride on upright, Steve Gadd on drums, Brookes on acoustic and baritone guitar, Joe Sample on Wurly, Rhodes, and piano. Very few additional musicians but there is an amazing accordion player present. Subtle, but amazing.

All live in the studio with no missteps. But you do feel the music teetering on the edge. Beautifully done. And GREAT lyrics too.

• Moderators

Aren't they gorgeous sounding? So thick and analog gooey, clear, and very performance-oriented.

I love Charmer and Sex On Fire. They do that bit where the song starts and you think you know where the one is but you're off by either an 1/8 or 1/4 note. But with them you're never really sure sometimes where it is. The riffs and parts are simple but perfect. Murky fuzz, SVT like warm sludgy bass and a vocalist channeling Joe Cocker without a high range.

I love it.

Archived