Could I pick your brain regarding drums?

Mark L

• Members

I've always used standalone (that word again) drum machines, and quite frankly they're hard work

I was wondering, therefore, if it would be possible to use a software drum programme (excuse my noob-esque terminology) to create a drum sequence on my laptop, and then transfer it onto my multi-track

Could I do it with just some drum software or would I need something like Cubase as well? :confused:

Or is the whole thing just not possible??

HELP - I'm stupid :(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't see why not - you could record the SW drum performance in the digital domain (take the audio out of the drum program and capture it as a soundfile then import)

alternatively, if programming is the bitch, but you like the rest of your HW system, maybe just using the SW as a MIDI even sequencer to feed your HW drum machiens would be a nice middl option

There may be some tighter integration options with some of the recording SW - someone else will have to answer that one though

• Members

I don't see why not - you could record the SW drum performance in the digital domain (take the audio out of the drum program and capture it as a soundfile then import)

alternatively, if programming is the bitch, but you like the rest of your HW system, maybe just using the SW as a MIDI even sequencer to feed your HW drum machiens would be a nice middl option

There may be some tighter integration options with some of the recording SW - someone else will have to answer that one though

I hope you don't think I'm being cheeky, but could you say that one more time minus the computer-speak? :o

MIDI, integration, 'audio out of the drum program' ??????????? :confused:

• Members

sorry - I'll do the best I can for ya (though SW and SW integration are kind of computer geek areas)

MIDI, integration, 'audio out of the drum program' ???????????

MIDI - that's Musical Intrument Digital Interface - is a format that doesn't carry audio, but carries other information such as performance data from a sequencer (a sequencer is sort of like a player piano roll...it doesn't have information about sound itself, but carries information about 'when to hit what note').

so you can use MIDI, for instance to control a drum machine you already have (and like the sounds of) from a SW program...the SW would "feed" the drum machine the sequence of beast to play and the drum machine would make the actual sounds

Integration - isn't really computer specific - it's "bringing together multiple parts into a cohesive whole"...so some of the various packages might (I'll leave that to the jockies of the individual packages...they'll know those much bette...not really my area, but one to look into) might have some other options like importing MIDI drum sequences and running a standard synth engine on em right in the production SW itself

'audio out of the drum program' -

Well, as we just learned a drum program could produce MIDI data, or you could produce audio data (the sounds you hear when you hit play of the drum SW) -- that would the be AUDIO output (as opposed to say "MIDI output" of the drum program...you could simply record that and then bam, you have a drum track

• Members

sorry - I'll do the best I can for ya (though SW and SW integration are kind of computer geek areas)

MIDI, integration, 'audio out of the drum program' ???????????

MIDI - that's Musical Intrument Digital Interface - is a format that doesn't carry audio, but carries other information such as performance data from a sequencer (a sequencer is sort of like a player piano roll...it doesn't have information about sound itself, but carries information about 'when to hit what note').

so you can use MIDI, for instance to control a drum machine you already have (and like the sounds of) from a SW program...the SW would "feed" the drum machine the sequence of beast to play and the drum machine would make the actual sounds

Integration - isn't really computer specific - it's "bringing together multiple parts into a cohesive whole"...so

'audio out of the drum program' -

Well, as we just learned a drum program could produce MIDI data, or you could produce audio data (the sounds you hear when you hit play of the drum SW) -- that would the be AUDIO output (as opposed to say "MIDI output" of the drum program...you could simply record that and then bam, you have a drum track

Mate, thanks for the clarification :)

Trouble is, I still don't have the faintest idea what you mean. I probably shouldn't have started this thread. Craig, if you're there, lock this thread. I'm completely and utterly embarrassed

I'll stick with drum machines, I think.....

Off to pick up Mrs. Nads from work now. Driving - that's something I can do

• Members

oops sorry - DO NOT be embarrassed. These are ever changing products - they don't mean anything about who you are. {censored}, at other times (both in the past, and potentially in the future) this question might not even be valid b/c the technology rolls

couple of questions just to see where you are

are you comfortable with MIDI (I mean just a a concept, how it works, what it does and all that)?

how are you currently recording? (dedicated HW recorder like a tape machine or HDD recorder OR recording software?)

have you loaded a demo drum program just to kinda get a sense for them?

We'll (by "we" I mean the other guys are they are going to be way way way more knowledgeable about the individual packages and such) get ya sorted - just got to figure out where you are now, s we can get you directions to "there"

• Members

S'okay, Mr. Return, I've calmed down a bit now. I think having had chips (fries), burgers, carrots & swede for tea has done the trick :thu:

Okay, mate, here are the answers to your questions:

1. I have absolutely no idea what MIDI is and what it does

2. I record using a standalone 16-track, drum machine, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, keyboard, tambourine, and voice

3. I haven't loaded a demo drum program. Are they available for free download?

Thanks for your encouragement and understanding, kind sir. I appreciate it :)

• Members

different folks, different backgrounds

hell, I'll bet we can find musicians right here on harmony-central that don't know what an embouchure is

Saul - what kind OS are you running (are you a mac, windows, linux...whatever guy? just changes where we might want to look for the various options)

• Members

Here's what I would suggest.

Propellerheads' Reason has a "drum machine" module called ReDrum. The heart of it is 16 virtual buttons and slots to load 10 drum samples. If you select a slot, you can click on a button where you want a beat. In other words, for a four on the floor kick, you would do the following ("X" means you clicked on the button):

x - - - x - - - x - - - x - - -

Then if you wanted a snare on backbeats, you would select the snare slot and do this:

- - - - x - - - - - - - x - - -

Or a 16th note high-hat pattern:

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

You get the idea. You can download a demo version at http://www.propellerheads.se/download/.

After doing your drum pattern, you can play it into your stand-alone.

I think Fruity Loops, which costs less, will do the same type of thing and there are other "Drum machine"- type products out there. But Reason gives you all this other cool stuff :) and at least you can try the free download.

• Members

Remember, MIDI was invented over two decades ago, and fell into a period of decline before making a comeback, courtesy of virtual instruments.

I for one am glad a lot of people aren't up to speed on MIDI, I can update articles from 20 years ago and they're still new to many :)

• Members

Here's what I would suggest.

Propellerheads' Reason has a "drum machine" module called ReDrum. The heart of it is 16 virtual buttons and slots to load 10 drum samples. If you select a slot, you can click on a button where you want a beat. In other words, for a four on the floor kick, you would do the following ("X" means you clicked on the button):

x - - - x - - - x - - - x - - -

Then if you wanted a snare on backbeats, you would select the snare slot and do this:

- - - - x - - - - - - - x - - -

Or a 16th note high-hat pattern:

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

You get the idea. You can download a demo version at
http://www.propellerheads.se/download/

After doing your drum pattern, you can play it into your stand-alone.

I think Fruity Loops, which costs less, will do the same type of thing and there are other "Drum machine"- type products out there. But Reason gives you all this other cool stuff
:)
and at least you can try the free download.

Thanks. That looks interesting :)

• Members

I'm
completely
in the stone age - I just use some guy who bangs on things.

'round these parts we call that a "wife"

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not - I mean it gives her something else to beat on, but it also gives her practice beating on things

double edged blade, that one

• Members

Remember, MIDI was invented over two decades ago, and fell into a period of decline before making a comeback, courtesy of virtual instruments.

I for one am glad a lot of people aren't up to speed on MIDI, I can update articles from 20 years ago and they're still new to many
:)

Unbelievable. Unfamiliar after 20 years of MIDI. That is like asking "What is a CD?"

Unless Saul is new to recording ....I suppose.

Dan

• Members

I wish the music manufacturers would standardize on a new protocol for use with virtual instruments. MIDI, because of having only 7 data bits is adequate for many virtual instrument uses, but not for others. NI's Kore and other new products are using other data models to get more refined values, and it just seems that a standard would be better.

• Members

1. I have absolutely no idea what MIDI is and what it does

LMAO. I`m sorry, that the funniest thing I`ve read on HC for quite some time. Are you serious Saul? OK, I`ll play along... I use REASON for all of my pre-production work (drums, bass, synths, piano, strings, etc...) then in tracking I use the real thing if I can. The REASON ReDrum sounds are good. They need some tweaking but its fun stuff once you learn your way around. With that said, if you are serious about knowing nothing about MIDI, I`m not sure you want to dive into REASON. It would be... um... "illogical"? :confused:

hell, I'll bet we can find musicians right here on harmony-central that don't know what an embouchure is

What did you call me?:mad:

I'm completely in the stone age - I just use some guy who bangs on things.

Damn Lee! You`re a lot older than I thought. No one would ever know from your posts! :poke:

• Moderators

Unbelievable. Unfamiliar after 20 years of MIDI. That is like asking "What is a CD?"

Unless Saul is new to recording ....I suppose.

Dan

There are many people who record with actual instruments, and have no use for MIDI. :idk:

Terry D.

• Members

Sheesh you guys... Saul T. is a songwriter. He doesn't make any claims to being an audio engineer or anything of the sort. He said that in his posts. I know a lot of very talented people who aren't very technical - so what? I shudder to think if some rank beginner stumbles in here looking for advice and you guys jump all over him. :freak:

• Members

If you have a little money so spend, it would be helpful for you to learn about MIDI... it opens many options for when you don't have a live drummer, and is helpful for composing.

It's VERY likely that the sound card in your computer has a built in MIDI set of sounds. If so, to do what you want, you could buy an inexpensive MIDI software, or maybe find a free one. There are many free MIDI songs available that will have drum tracks. You could silence all the other instruments, and have drum tracks that include fills, intro's and so on.

You can also cut and paste these to make your "own" songs.

Another nice writing tool is "Band in a Box". It's fairly inexpensive, and easy to use. You type in chord names, like (Amin, or B), on a grid, select one of dozens of musical styles, and poof, it generates a MIDI song.

You can remove the bass, piano, and other instruments, and end up with just the drum parts. Because you write the thing, you can make it do pretty much whatever you want, and it automatically adds style elements and fills to your writing. I think you can get the basic version for about $100.

Finally there are lots of loops available. If you get a program like Sony's Acid, and some loops you can create lots of drum tracks that you can record to your standalone recorder.

M

• Members

There are many people who record with actual instruments, and have no use for MIDI.
:idk:

Terry D.

Bingo. There are a lot of people who don't use MIDI and don't need it. I consider myself as using MIDI a lot, but it's still only maybe 20-25% of my recording process. In 1985, it was 95% of it.

As someone who does a lot of seminars and work with magazines, I assure you, MIDI is a significant part of the music world but by no means a universal one. Otherwise, why would companies be offering courses on MIDI? There are always people getting into new things, even if the origins of those things are old.

• Members

I wish the music manufacturers would standardize on a new protocol for use with virtual instruments. MIDI, because of having only 7 data bits is adequate for many virtual instrument uses, but not for others. NI's Kore and other new products are using other data models to get more refined values, and it just seems that a standard would be better.

Interpolation works real well. My Panasonic DA7 mixer does that, gets 1024 steps of resolution out of MIDI's 128 values. Very cool, and not the same as smoothing.

Archived