I'm feeling "taken for granted"...

• Members

I live in SoCal...

The candidates have decided that the majority of my state is going to vote for Obama... so they have almost completely ignored campaigning in my area.

:cry:

We Californians don't take kindly to being ignored.

How about you and your state?

Someone is going to PAY!

I just don't know who.

This thread brought to you by: Vote NO on 8

:D

M

• Moderators

At least you have electoral votes at stake. Try living in Idaho. You get taken for granted AND no electoral votes to speak of.

Do you really want your beautiful state to reach the population density that would make it a powerhouse in electoral votes? :idk:

By the way, could you PLEASE straighten out I90 and fix some of the amazingly deep ruts? It scares the cr*p out of me every time I drive it! Our farm roads in Texas are in better shape. :o

:wave:

Terry D.

• Members

Texas - you figure it out.
:(

Do you really want your beautiful state to reach the population density that would make it a powerhouse in electoral votes?
:idk:

By the way, could you PLEASE straighten out I90 and fix some of the amazingly deep ruts? It scares the cr*p out of me every time I drive it! Our farm roads in Texas are in better shape.
:o

:wave:

Terry D.

I guess you're right....and I-90 in Idaho is beautiful compared to Eastern Washington. You don't even need to steer!

• Members

If you really think these pieces of {censored} give a F@#$ what the lowly working people think then you are deluded. Look at the banker bailout..It was THOUSANDS of calls and emails AGAINST yet the criminals in Congress passed it filled with pork nonetheless. Get away from the false left right paradigm..OBAMA..Savior of the left voted for the war, voted to bail out the bankers and doesn't give a {censored} about you as well as obviously the insane MCCain camp. Idiots and traitors all...You think getting Dem in is going to change anything? I got news for you, they have been getting elected for a very long time and haven't done {censored} for us!! In fact, the 2 parties are the REASON we are in the situation we are in as a country so wake up and vote ANY 3rd party..NO DEM or REPUB...IF you do vote for one of the criminal parties, you do it to your own peril and I will sit back with popcorn and watch the tsunami.

I live in SoCal...

The candidates have decided that the majority of my state is going to vote for Obama... so they have almost completely ignored campaigning in my area.

:cry:

We Californians don't take kindly to being ignored.

How about you and your state?

Someone is going to PAY!

I just don't know who.

This thread brought to you by: Vote NO on 8

:D

M

• Members

Get away from the false left right paradigm..OBAMA..Savior of the left voted for the war, voted to bail out the bankers and doesn't give a {censored} about you as well as obviously the insane MCCain camp. Idiots and traitors all...

I must admit, I agree with most of what you wrote. Thats why I`m a registered "indie". I don`t let a political party (like religion) dictate to me what I should think.

Your idea, though nice is not "practical". I know, I hate the word too but seriously, with the exception of Nader, who else interests you? And I`m not saying you like Nader, hes just the one most Americans know of thats always running.

• Members

Try living in Massachusetts if you want to see one-party rule inaction. :rolleyes:

I must admit, I agree with most of what you wrote. Thats why I`m a registered "indie". I don`t let a political party (like religion) dictate to me what I should think.

Your idea, though nice is not "practical". I know, I hate the word too but seriously, with the exception of Nader, who else interests you? And I`m not saying you like Nader, hes just the one most Americans know of thats always running.

I'm guessing Malthus. :lol:

• Members

Unfortunately, without the hundreds of millions of dollars it takes to get elected, any third party candidate comes off looking like a candidate for the Tin Foil Hat party. It is party branding that gives otherwise unelectable people legitimacy in the eyes of an uninformed electorate.

The larger issue is that as long as we keep worrying about the horse race of who gets the White House but ignore the damage done by sending the same guys (the ones who make the laws and control the spending) back to Washington term after term to "represent" us, it is almost irrelevant who we elect as President. Presidents will come and go while these guys will still be there doing the damage they do.

• Members

VOTE NO ON 8! I can't believe this is even an issue in our state. :mad:

For those outside of CA, Proposition 8 "eliminates the right of same-sex couples to marry in California" and makes it so that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

As the saying says, so goes California, so goes the nation. This is a dangerous measure, and a stepping stone to a US Constitutional amendment to follow. If you at all respect the rights of people who aren't heterosexual and don't want the government dictating who people can love, vote against this ridiculous piece of crap legislation!

And back on topic: no, we don't get candidates here. We're a safe blue state. I'd rather they not waste their time and money campaigning here when it's needed in other places.

• Members

I am ALL for our United States being energy efficiate, THAT is why we need to vote for McCain, why should we continue paying for energy from countrys who hate us? We need to take care of our own people who are suffering NOW and think of our children and our childrens children. I'm GLAD Im not going to be around in in the future because if you vote for Obama you might as gear up and show your kids that MAD MAX Movie because thats the ways its going to be. JMO...

• Members

If you really think these pieces of {censored} give a F@#$ what the lowly working people think then you are deluded. Look at the banker bailout..It was THOUSANDS of calls and emails AGAINST yet the criminals in Congress passed it filled with pork nonetheless. Get away from the false left right paradigm..OBAMA..Savior of the left voted for the war, voted to bail out the bankers and doesn't give a {censored} about you as well as obviously the insane MCCain camp. Idiots and traitors all...You think getting Dem in is going to change anything? I got news for you, they have been getting elected for a very long time and haven't done {censored} for us!! In fact, the 2 parties are the REASON we are in the situation we are in as a country so wake up and vote ANY 3rd party..NO DEM or REPUB...IF you do vote for one of the criminal parties, you do it to your own peril and I will sit back with popcorn and watch the tsunami.

Well, actually, the last Democratic administration oversaw a period of rising economic fundamentals and increasing prosperity for most US citizens -- not just the my-money-does-all-the-work crowd favored by the current crop of Republicans -- and, along with a coalition of fiscally conservative Democrats and Republicans, produced budgets that reduced deficits, resulting in the first budget surplus in many decades.

So, I don't think that's nothing...

Obviously, after 8 years of incredible ineptitude which mired the US in crippling debt, leading, in part, to the lurching economic crunch we are now suffering, the situation is even worse than it was during the prolonged economic turndown and huge debt increase of GHW Bush's term.

Let's not forget that Reagan tripled the national debt, Bush I doubled it, and Bush II has more than doubled it -- the full accounting for Iraq is 'off the books.'

I just don't think we can afford any more big-government, free-spending, debt-wallowing Republicans.

And that's why so many conservatives are coming out for the Democratic candidate, people like David Eisenhower and and wife, Julie Nixon Eisenhower, (grandson and daughter of Republican presidents), as well as David's sister Susan Eisenhower; Christopher Buckley, late of the National Review and son of conservative icon William F Buckley, Andrew Sullivan, once one of the strongest 'cheerleaders' of the new right, Christopher Hitchens... the list of conservatives who've deserted the GOP for many reasons, not the least of which is the increasingly central role of the theocratic put-religion-in-government crowd and the culture of incompetence demonstrated so painfully by GW Bush and now seemingly enshrined as the future of the GOP in the form of the proud-to-be-ignorant, Sara Palin.

So, you know, some of us think there is a meaningful difference.

• Members

At least you have electoral votes at stake. Try living in Idaho. You get taken for granted AND no electoral votes to speak of.

I live with the same problem. I vote at every election but our state of mostly old farmers sends it's whopping two electoral votes to DC without anyone even taking notice. That is primarily why I think ND should become part of Canada. Then South Dakota would actually be the Northern most Dakota and then would actually be the state formerly known as South Dakota. And think about it. Why would anyone attact Canada? We would be much safer as Canadians here.

I really wish we elected our officials based on the popular vote instead of the electoral system. I would feel more important then.

• Members

I am ALL for our United States being energy efficiate, THAT is why we need to vote for McCain, why should we continue paying for energy from countrys who hate us? We need to take care of our own people who are suffering NOW and think of our children and our childrens children. I'm GLAD Im not going to be around in in the future because if you vote for Obama you might as gear up and show your kids that MAD MAX Movie because thats the ways its going to be. JMO...

Unfortunately, the US cannot long supply all its energy needs even if we were to exploit every possible, wildly expensive drilling option.

And, as McCain keeps strategically forgetting, his plan offers little immediate relief... The energy coming online from renewed drilling won't be entering our energy delivery system for years.

What can one expect on economic matters from a man who takes as one of his key tech economy advisers Carly Fiorina, who was fired as CEO of Hewlett Packard for poor performance? And whose other economic adviser, the ideology-over-common-sense Phil Gram, told us in a singularly infamous pronouncement that the only thing wrong with the US economy was that America had become a "nation of whiners" have since been swamped by news that those economic fundamentals were not so rosy.

And then there's McCain's choice of VP candidates... they apparently can't stand one another. When asked, she couldn't name a single newspaper or current events magazine she read regularly... she couldn't even make up an answer. The coaches and minders who have been assigned by the McCain team to try to bring her up to speed -- and when that proved impossible to try to keep her out of trouble -- have said that she was the hardest candidate to brief and bring up to speed of any VP choice in living memory, have called her a "primadonna," and even, most recently, a "whack job."

• Members

I think Obama's approach to energy efficiency and ending dependency on foreign oil is far more sound than McCain and his cronies chanting "Drill Baby Drill!". I want what's best for our country, and I think Obama's intention to, among other things, get us to start developing alternative fuel sources and becoming a leader in that sounds far more pragmatic to me.

• Members

And back on topic: no, we don't get candidates here. We're a safe blue state. I'd rather they not waste their time and money campaigning here when it's needed in other places.

And that's taken as a whole. But our state is actually quite divided, with the smaller, more rural counties and Orange County frequently voting "red". Our local politics is far more varied and complex than what our electoral votes would indicate. I know YOU know this, Jeff, but I mention this for others who might be less famiilar with our state.

• Members

Orange County still leans Republican, there's a lot of new family money in the south county, where McMansions crowd the hills toward the southern county line, but it's hardly the GOP monolith it was when I was growing up there.

Bill Clinton did very well in OC, for instance.

BTW, I'm all for direct presidential elections. It would be difficult to get the ammendment because of state-federal politics, smaller with thin populations would fight such a move tooth and nail. But the electoral college system evolved in response to the strategic impossibility of conducting an orderly, timely direct election of the US president in the early years of our nation and those conditions evaporated long ago.

Also, BTW, I'm against Prop 8 in Cali, as well. I would have been perfectly comfortable with full civil rights for all couples, personally -- but the theocrats pushed their anti-gay agenda to such extremes, trying to keep committed same-sex couples from visiting each other in the hospital, even when one partner was dying, or trying to deny them basic human rights, and vilifying homosexuals based on their own, parochial views and often wildly inaccurate presumptions that they pretty much made a push for full "marriage" rights inevitable in many states. For my tastes, I think government should only license civil union -- not "marriage" as defined by many churches and religions. Religious marriage should be the province of the church and civil union the province of the state. While the two might overlap in many ways, such an arrangement would clarify the role of government -- and religion -- in civil and family life.

• Members

Our local politics is far more varied and complex than what our electoral votes would indicate. I know YOU know this, Jeff, but I mention this for others who might be less famiilar with our state.

Very true. There are plenty of Republican strongholds throughout California. Some people especially think that Northern Cal is a giant communist hippie pinko homosexual theme park, but once you head inland a ways, you're in an agricultural zone that's as redneck/red state as you can imagine. And as has been mentioned, Orange County (not far from LA) is still a Republican stronghold.

We have lots of everything in California. There's nothing homogenous about this state, from block to block, much less city to city.

Archived