left hand freeze up - on stage

sailorman

• Members

performing with my rock band, during the 2nd set, the index finger on my left/fretting hand suddenly 'froze up'. Holy crap, am I stroking out? WTF..!! I couldn't straighten the finger without grabbing in with my right hand. Soon as I started playing it did it again. After some massaging, I got through the rest of the set, with 2 more occurances.

Talked to a friend who's a pro jazz guitarist. He's had it happen to him 3 times. His description is perfect, it's as if the fretboard becomes a strong magnet which traps your fingers on it. Yep, that's it exactly.

His theory is the strap across the shoulder. When his happened, he was wearing a strap while teaching for hours several days a week, plus performances. He stopped wearing it while teaching and the problem has not happened since. I have a 3 inch strap and am adding a pad. Guitars are a 71 Strat and an SG (pretty light).

Curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

• Members

performing with my rock band, during the 2nd set, the index finger on my left/fretting hand suddenly 'froze up'. Holy crap, am I stroking out? WTF..!!

It's happened to me several times. Freaked me out each time.

I would tend to agree with the poster above me: try changing the height of your guitar. I think the "freeze" has something to do with the nerve being pinched, and the strap might be a culprit.

The other possibility might just be a really bad hand cramp. Try drinking more water before and during your shows. It always helped me.

• Members

thanks for the replies.

I was pretty dehydrated that day, and thought that might have something to do with a cramp. good tip to drink more beforehand/during the gig.

Wearing the guitar higher would probably help too. I tend to lean my right arm on the guitar which pulls down pretty hard on the shoulder. Probably play better with the guitar up anyway, closer to the height when sitting.

• Members

I was pretty dehydrated that day, and thought that might have something to do with a cramp. good tip to drink more beforehand/during the gig.

I'm telling ya... I used to wonder why I felt like shit after gigs until I started POUNDING water before and during my show. The only downside: make sure you pee before you get onstage and between each set. Trust me on this.

Wearing the guitar higher would probably help too.

All of we rockers tend to wear our guitars slung low because it looks cool, a la Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Joe Perry and many others. But it's not optimal for your fret hand wrist position, and will eventually screw up your back. Your pickups should probably be at belly-button level at the lowest.

I know one guy that wears his guitars parallel with his nipples, which is taking it to the other extreme, IMO. But he likes the angle on his wrist, so... whatever works. He looks like some guitar-playing version of Pee Wee Herman when he does that, but who am I to judge? ;)

• Members

I've had the exact same thing happen once or twice. At the time I remember I was dehydrated too. Also, I was playing in a band that only played songs with bar chords and I was used to moving about more on the neck. After a while of playing with this band I think I got used to playing more bar chords all the time.

Not sure if that was really the problem or not. Like others have mentioned, when it happened to me it was really hot outside and we had been playing for about 5 or 6 hours. I wasn't drinking water like I should have either.

• Members

I've been playing for over 40 years and the last 10 or so have been the worst for this as well as alot of other joint issues and foot problems. The issue is its a sign of age. Theres no magic cure, and you will eventually have to undergo lifestyle changes to slow and minimize the deteriorization of both bones and ligaments.

Supplements like Glucosimine and Condrointin are good for joints, Vitamin C

is good for nrebuilding tissue etc.

Excercise to work all the muscles is a must as well. over time guitarists can loose their ability to get their heart rate up high enough to have a high blood flow to the arms and legs, in the meantime they're playing hard and those muscles arent being fed with fresh blood fast enough to remove toxins.

Lastly, even though theres a ton more, The mattress you sleep on can pinch nerves and slow blood flow. I was always waking up with numb arms from sleeping on them till I got a softer mattress.

Also your work schedual playing out and the weight of moving equipment are major issues. When you are young you heal quickly. When you get older what would take a day before to heal will take a week or more. All signs of your system slowing down. This is why the mind of the musician is so important. What a musician used to do to physically strutting around,jumping etc on stage to entertain the listeners will eventually need to be converted to playing excelence and well thought out parts if you want to continue perform well.

Musicians really want to keep themselves in shape like an athelete does, When they got too old to play pro theres always coaching. For musicians theres always teaching, recording, producing etc.

• Members

:evil:

performing with my rock band, during the 2nd set, the index finger on my left/fretting hand suddenly 'froze up'. Holy crap, am I stroking out? WTF..!! I couldn't straighten the finger without grabbing in with my right hand. Soon as I started playing it did it again. After some massaging, I got through the rest of the set, with 2 more occurances.

Talked to a friend who's a pro jazz guitarist. He's had it happen to him 3 times. His description is perfect, it's as if the fretboard becomes a strong magnet which traps your fingers on it. Yep, that's it exactly.

His theory is the strap across the shoulder. When his happened, he was wearing a strap while teaching for hours several days a week, plus performances. He stopped wearing it while teaching and the problem has not happened since. I have a 3 inch strap and am adding a pad. Guitars are a 71 Strat and an SG (pretty light).

Curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

My wife's finger freezes up. She was told it was a form of arthritis and surgery can help.

She was also told that when it freezes have someone straighten it out immediately. I guess it's like when you make a face at someone and they tell you "your face is going to freeze that way".

Good thing it's not your middle finger - that could get you in trouble.:lol:

doctor.gif

Dr. Johnny-Boy

• Members

Well, first, if you think it is serious....see a doctor... not some forumites!! Then, I have worked a lot with stroke folks....this does not sound like a stroke (check with doctor to be sure.) Cramps get common as we, ummm errrr "age." Water can help or hurt (too much water can deplete the electrolytes sodium, potassium, calcium etc.) I get a lot of cramps and use calcium tablets (yes, like Tums or those purchased in a supermarket for anti-acid properties) to cut them down. You can also try salt..... but water is a possibility too. Did I mention.... you may want to consider a doctor? While I am trying to be humorous (and this doesn't sound real serious to me, I have worked in the medical field {well okay mostly mental health...hence my familiarity with strokes} for many years) it is best to get it checked if you are at all concerned.

• Members

... it is best to get it checked if you are at all concerned.

I completely agree. But rather than cause unnecessary worry and anxiety, the fact is that this is a common thing that happens to live performing guitarists, and I'm sure the OP found some solace in discovering the situation wasn't unique to him.

But yes, if it keeps happening, or happens in situations other than while you play guitar, you could get it checked out and get some more peace of mind.

• Members

I completely agree. But rather than cause unnecessary worry and anxiety, the fact is that this is a common thing that happens to live performing guitarists, and I'm sure the OP found some solace in discovering the situation wasn't unique to him.

But yes, if it keeps happening, or happens in situations other than while you play guitar, you could get it checked out and get some more peace of mind.

Works for me!! (although getting it checked....especially if you think it IS a stroke, might give you some peace of mine!!)

• Members

thanks for all the great advice. As to seeing a doctor, the keyboard player in the band is a surgeon (urology) and was across the stage from me when it happened. Other than pointing and laughing at my discomfort, his initial thought was that the strap could be pressing on a cranial nerve root. He advised seeing a neurologist if it persists.

I'm going to be sure to have plenty of fluids available next time we're gigging, something like gatoraid, which has the electrolytes as well.

Yes age may have an impact as well; but I refuse to age, despite having more birthdays.

• Members

I'm going to be sure to have plenty of fluids available next time we're gigging, something like gatoraid, which has the electrolytes as well.

My gig routine (when I was with bands) included the following...

1. Drink two large glasses of water before show.

2. Onstage, I kept two 32-ounce bottles of Gatorade in my gig bag behind my amp. I'd hit it between every song.

3. Between sets, another glass of water.

Made a world of difference. I know some folks won't agree with this, but I also felt better when I stopped having a couple of beers before and during my show.

• Members

I'm a shadow of my former self. Help me, Ken!
:eek:

Just to shake things up a little, I think you should just got good and sloppy-ass drunk before hitting the stage. Crowds eat that sort of stuff up. You'll double your audience. For good measure, grow your hair out into a stringy mess, froth at the mouth, go shirtless, and roll around in a little glass.

Do you want me to be your manager? I'll catapult your music career to new heights.

• Members

As crazy as this sounds, are you wearing a wrist watch? I was having the same issue until I took the darn watch off. Now I just stay hydrated and I've had no further problems (except being old).

you know what, I was wearing my watch and the band was quite tight. I took it off and there was a pretty deep indentation on my wrist; funny how it's too tight sometimes and just fine others, but it does tend to slide down when playing.

So far, looks like I need a wider strap, to drink more fluids with electrolytes, take off my watch and stop being old.

• Members

you know what, I was wearing my watch and the band was quite tight. I took it off and there was a pretty deep indentation on my wrist; funny how it's too tight sometimes and just fine others, but it does tend to slide down when playing.

So far, looks like I need a wider strap,
to drink more fluids with electrolytes
, take off my watch and stop being old.

Hmmm, you may have hit on something there. Gatorade (or similar swill) may add BOTH fluids and electrolytes. (I say swill because I personally detest the taste of Gatorade.... or anything that comes from U of F, as I went to FSU :) )

Archived