OT - Dropping the dead donkey

John Sayers

• Members

here is a wonderful letter to the editor in this morning's Sydney paper.

Dropping the dead donkey: a fable

YOUNG Charlie bought a donkey from a farmer for $100. The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day. But the next day he said, "Sorry son, the donkey died." Charlie replied, "Well, then just give me my money back."

The farmer said, "Can't do that. I went and spent it already." Charlie said, "OK, then, just bring me the dead donkey." The farmer asked, "What are you going to do with him?" Charlie said, "I'm going to raffle him off." The farmer said "You can't raffle off a dead donkey!" Charlie said, "Sure I can, watch me."

A month later, the farmer asked Charlie "What happened with that dead donkey?" Charlie said "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars a piece and made a profit of $998."

"Didn't anyone complain?" the farmer asked. "Just the guy who won," said Charlie. "So I gave him his two dollars back."

Charles now works as a consultant for Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and the US Federal Reserve, the UK, the European Commission and as a special adviser to the Prime Minister of Australia.

so true :)

Archived