Storing your Flash Memory Cards

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

They're too small. Here's how to make them bigger. Big enough to store a weekend's worth of recordings (or maybe a week's worth) and see at a glance what's on the cards. I've been wishing for this for a while and now I've found it. This is just slicker than owl{censored}.

3010a.jpg

There's another model that has a transparent front cover so that if you were clever enough to be able to write directly on the card (or stick a label on it) you can read it through the cover. But I like the kind that you can put a full sheet of paper in, and read the contents on the spine. A DVD case template makes a good computer-printed index sheet, or in the field you can just write on a sheet of paper, stick it in the box, and transcribe it when you get home to a computer and printer.

They aren't as easy to find in stores as I'd hoped. I tried three camera stores near me (figuring that this is mostly a camera technlology) and they didn't have a clue, though one had a pocket-sized case for two cards. Cyberguys has 'em.

• CMS Author

Good to get some positive feedback about this. Usually when I moan about what to do with those little bitty cards and how to keep track of a project that extends beyond a single card I get poo-pooed about not backing one card up to a computer and re-using it.

This is a fine way to manage casual recordings - your band rehearsals, a concert, a lecture. You can usually put off the copying task for a few days if you don't have a mind to do it right away, and won't need the recorder again until you've done your civic duty. But if you're recording a weekend-long festival, you might want to keep each set on a separate card for a couple of reasons - first, so you don't lose a whole day's work if something goes wrong, and second, to help you to organize your backing-up and copying.

SD cards are now cheaper than DAT on a cents-per-recorded-minute basis, so that the only thing that stands in the way of keeping the original recording on the shelf is a way to store it in a manner that it's easy to find. This is where something like the Card Safe is valuable.

I've also been looking for a non-computer solution for making backups of the flash memory cards. Sure, we all know how to do it with a computer, but sometimes it's just not convenient, and not all users (or potential users) of these mini recorders are computer literate. In the festival situation, for example, if I tried to back up memory cards to CD on my computer in between sets I'm sure I'd be distracted enough so that I'd miss something I needed to know for the next set. (I'm almost always also mixing the PA at these affairs too). But if I could just stick a blank CD into one slot on a box and the card in another slot, push a button, and go back to my duties, I could pack up at the end of the day with both a set of cards and a set of backups.

I'm on to one that's about $100, the ILY CoolCopy MB500 that I'm trying to get my hands on to see what it does and how well. It would be nice if it accommodated DVDs though, for the occasions when I'm using 2GB or 4GB cards.

Managing digital media, as capacity grows and data grows to fill it, is a problem that's going to get bigger before it goes away.

Archived