How to find a good lawyer, experienced in recording industry?

temnov

• Members

Contact your local bar association and ask for a listing of entertainment lawyers.

What exactly do you need a lawyer for?

+1

or contact BMI or ASCAP.

I had to use one several years ago... long story short, a very large music channel wanted to use my songs. They wanted to buy out about 20 songs in which I would be making peanuts and the best part was, I would not be able to use my songs anymore. The attorney advised me not to do it. He said their standard procedure and also way you don`t hear them using well known acts on their reality shows.

Amazing stuff... best $250 I spent.

• Members

Ernest's situation is one example. The other issue I would look into would be if you are running a studio, you might engage an attorney on a one-time basis to draw up some standard contracts of your own for the recording clients, so that you have specific written statement of what you do, don't do, and offer as finished product. A liability waiver for anyone that uses your facility might be smart too.

• Members

...you might engage an attorney on a one-time basis to draw up some standard contracts of your own for the recording clients, so that you have specific written statement of what you do, don't do, and offer as finished product. A liability waiver for anyone that uses your facility might be smart too.

Yes, great point.

• Members

The other issue I would look into would be if you are running a studio, you might engage an attorney on a one-time basis to draw up some standard contracts of your own for the recording clients, so that you have specific written statement of what you do, don't do, and offer as finished product. A liability waiver for anyone that uses your facility might be smart too

That's exactly what I need, thanks Billster.

However, in my area there is no anybody professionally involved in this area, I've checked.. I don't want to get some to-do-this-and-that lawyer involved. I need somebody with experience. I can arrange a teleconference, but where is better to find that one?

• Members

Where are you located?

If you don't mind me asking (and I certainly don't want any details) what kind of general stuff are we talking -- like do you have an IP infringement issue or are you looking for transactional stuff like contract review or something else?

[just trying to get a sense for what kind of issue]

one problem is that, except for patent law, the bars are state-by-state (now there is reciprocity among many states and an atty may be a member of more than one bar so that can give flexibility), so that can limit the practice

Archived