Has anyone considered releasing music on vinyl?

• Members

I`m considering it for my next record. I`m actually thinking, "I do not have to compete in the sound level wars".

I`ll use less compression/limiting and actually release my songs as naturally as possible. Granted, it`ll probably cost more per unit but the songs will sound better. Just wondering out loud...

• Members

I'll buy anything you put out that has your avatar on the cover.....

I love my vinyl collection (4-500 of them). I copy them to CD from time to time and I've noticed that the mastering differs from some of the 'remastered' CDs; not as squashed for one thing; not as bright.

Vinyl seems to be a growing niche market, probably comprised of people who really listen vs. just consume, so probably worth a shot. Good luck with it.!

• Members

A CD I released in 1998, was just re-released on vinyl a few months ago by the record company (Blind Pig). They told me the cost was $4.00 per album to manufacture, and that total album sales from "everyone combined in the USA" was something like two million last year.

I LOve having my record on vinyl, but I don't have a turn table to play it on !!!!

Good luck,

Russ

Nashville

• Moderators

I LOve having my record on vinyl, but I don't have a turn table to play it on !!!!

And that's the issue right there. Vinyl is cool in so many ways. Sound, the physical product with graphics, the panache it brings... but few can play it.

I live next to one of the great old Record Stores. Lou's Records in Encinitas, CA, sort of a poor man's Amoeba. They have that vinyl niche covered. But it's a little, itty, bitty niche.

• Members

A CD I released in 1998, was just re-released on vinyl a few months ago by the record company (Blind Pig). They told me the cost was $4.00 per album to manufacture, and that total album sales from "everyone combined in the USA" was something like two million last year.

Good luck,

Russ

Nashville

Gee Whiz $4/unit!

Wtf?

I didn`t know it would cost THAT much?

OK, so you sold 2 million records. How much of that did you actually see?

• Members

I am in Leacadia as well.

Lou's is a mecca for vinyl.

There are a few bands I know of that have released stuff only on vinyl. Thier goal is for DJs to spin it in thier mixes. Its a great marketing technique. DJs will do the leg work to get their mixes out there, and if you have your tune on their mix, its free promotion for you.

Just gotta make something that gets the DJs juices flowing and can get some ass on the dance floor.

• Members

There are a few bands I know of that have released stuff only on vinyl. Thier goal is for DJs to spin it in thier mixes. Its a great marketing technique. DJs will do the leg work to get their mixes out there, and if you have your tune on their mix, its free promotion for you.

Just gotta make something that gets the DJs juices flowing and can get some ass on the dance floor.

That is one of the reasons I`m looking into vinyl. However, just from a sound standpoint, I think vinyl will do my next record a lot more justice.

• Members

Good luck,

Russ

Nashville

On the upside -- if you store that vinyl record correctly and don't play it, it will likely last a very long time with little degradation -- particularly if you use an archive grade inner sleeve.

• Members

I know this totally goes against the feeling of your post in regards to sound quality, but I'd consider having both vinyl and digital downloads. Selling the vinyl along with a code to get the album in digital form is a good way to combine the coolness of vinyl and the convenience of mp3. I just think going vinyl-only, while satisfiying your desires, is a good way to ensure that about half or more of your fans have no way to listen to the album.

• Members

I know this totally goes against the feeling of your post in regards to sound quality, but I'd consider having both vinyl and digital downloads. Selling the vinyl along with a code to get the album in digital form is a good way to combine the coolness of vinyl and the convenience of mp3. I just think going vinyl-only, while satisfiying your desires, is a good way to ensure that about half or more of your fans have no way to listen to the album.

I like that idea. At this point, going vinyl is just that, an idea so... however, I just feel the CD is dead. Yes, digital is here to stay but I would like to offer an alternative, even if its just for myself.

• Members

OK, so you sold 2 million records. How much of that did you actually see?

I didn't sell 2 million of them ... get this, there were only 2 million vinyl records sold last year in the USA .. period ... that is every band combined.

On the upside -- if you store that vinyl record correctly and don't play it, it will likely last a very long time with little degradation -- particularly if you use an archive grade inner sleeve.

Yep, I've still got the very 1st records I ever bought, all my 45's too.

But I've still got the very 1st CD I ever bought as well ... I guess I take pretty good care of all my stuff.

Russ

Nashville

Archived