Vegas 9 is out!

• Members

Maybe they'll give you a nice deal on an upgrade. Vegas 8 still works, though :)

Hint: A new version of Vegas seems to surface around NAB, just like a new version of Sonar surfaces around AES time.

Hey! It made it past Groove Agent 3...still checking out plug-ins...

• Members

It does get faster, but it's still not making it all the way through. I renamed the VSTplugins folder and now it's open...attached is a screenshot of the new color scheme, which you can disable to go back to the original if you want.

• Members

You'll notice Craig is running it on 98SE, too.
;)

Hey, leave Windows Classic view alone! That's the 32-bit version. I haven't tried the 64-bit Vista version yet.

More observations: The preview function is a LOT better - optimized frame rates and such means that it looks way better than the older preview. The new video FX are great fun, Fill Light makes product shots look great.

Vegas will now automatically crop stills to the right project properties, which will save me a lot of time - I'd sometimes put in a mismatched still and not catch it until playing back the rendered image (mostly because it was hard to see with the not-as-high-res preview). Vegas can also handle really big stills that used to choke it before (the symptom was a freeze while rendering that could only be fixed by editing the image's size or resolution).

Another feature I'm really enjoying time-selecting envelopes and moving lots of nodes at the same time - I've really wanted that feature for some time.

There's definitely some cool stuff in the new version.

• Members

I'm debating upgrading or not. I'm still on Vegas 6.0 and it's working great with the exception of some VST plug-ins that don't work. This old version is even working in Windows 7 RC1 with the exception of the Media Manager, which I don't use anyway. Do you know if there have been any substantial audio editing or other improvements that could justify the upgrade cost? I only use Vegas for audio, FWIW. Vegas is still my favorite multitrack audio application to this day. It's simple, effective, rock-solid, and unlike most other companies, they haven't cluttered the hell out of the interface. Thanks for the feedback!

• Members

Sounds great, but I'm not so sure about the new color scheme. It looks the colors the Soviet Politburo Committee of Design and Social Usefulness would choose c. 1947.

Well, you don't have to use it, it can appropriate whatever Windows theme you're using, just like previous versions.

The main use for the new color scheme is if you're in a dark video editing suite. The overall vibe is more subdued. What works for me is increasing the saturation and tint on the icons to 100%. That really makes them "pop" and it's easier to parse the icons as you scan the screen.

• Members

Of the two biggest audio improvements, one doesn't relate to you: The ability to have audio not snap to frames even if your video does. That's VERY useful to me. The other one might interest you more: Now when you cut or split a clip, you can have an automatic fade added with a default time you specify (e.g., 10ms). ADAT used to do this when punching and that's why it didn't click.

Also, the waveform graphics handling is better. Waveforms update faster, the entire waveform is visible while recording, the waveforms are drawn with more resolution, and peaks don't have to be rebuilt when you finish a recording.

One other thing I find convenient is that not only are muted tracks darkened in the timeline, but if you call up a plug-in, its GUI is darkened to remind you that you're dealing with a muted track.

V9 doesn't have the one thing I keep asking for: The ability to use a control surface (e.g., Mackie control) to affect video parameters, not just audio. OTOH I never asked for greatly improved preview quality, and that makes a huge difference.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I wonder if I can bump this thread - we've got about a month left on the upgrade deal and people have had a chance to use this new version.

What happens if you have source to edit that is H.264?

They seem kinda quiet about that subject:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/io

I think that it is more likely that I would have to deal with that than RED. :)

• Members

Sorry, I have no idea...everything I do in Vegas uses Mini DV or stills/animation as source files.

But I will say I'm digging the feature where you can export every frame of a selected area of a project to a separate still file...

• Members

thanks! I'm sure someone will point out that my question was carved with a pretty dull knife - that h.264 is a "suite of standards". I am interested in the little corner of that suite where the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC products and implementations live.

The "Ken Burns" stuff is going to make it inevitable for me anyway. I am just curious regarding the need for another tool for cuts if my source is from one of the low end HD camcorders.

Archived