Recording Industry Poker Tournament

• Members

I've had this idea for many years that's finally coming together, and I wanted to share it with everyone as it's developing.

With the help of Karen Dunn Margroff (of the TEC Awards and the Mix Golf Tourney) and Jeff Greenberg (of The Village Recording Studios), I am finally organizing the first Record Industry Poker Tournament for Charity, set for Sunday, July 19. Jeff has graciously offered the upstairs ballroom at The Village for the tournament and Karen will use her years of experience as the coordinator of the golf tournament and TEC Awards to pull in the best sponsors for this event and make sure the players have an exciting day. We'll be able to accommodate about 120 people to compete in a No Limit Texas Hold 'Em Tournament for gear, software and other cool prizes. If you've ever been to The Village ballroom, you know how awesome this place will be for our event. Tournament profits will be donated to Sound Art L.A. (a local charity that teaches music and recording to underprivileged kids). http://www.soundartla.org/

Starting this week we'll be contacting gear manufacturers and software developers for product donations. The response from the companies I've contacted so far has been extremely enthusiastic and we're anticipating some amazing prizes for the top 40 or so players, with the best prizes reserved for the final table players.

We are hiring a company that deals with every detail of putting together poker tournaments, including providing the best dealers, tables, chairs, chips, cards, and a tournament director, so it will be very organized and professional. They also give out poker swag at special moments during the game! This will be an amazing event and will sell out fast, so start brushing up on your poker skills.

If you haven't been contacted by the end of this week and you are a gear manufacturer or software developer who would like to donate product to the tournament, please email Karen@kmdpro.com and she'll send you a formal donation request with all the details and benefits. We have big plans for media exposure and the buzz in the room will be great PR for all your products donated. And let's not forget--all profits will go directly to charity!

I'll update this post as we get the website up and running and we announce the registration date and details of the event.

Looking forward to making this the best possible event with your help!

Thanks!

Dave Reitzas

dave@reitzas.com

http://www.reitzas.com

• Members

This deserves a bump. :phil:

Thanks Phil!

I just wanted to keep this on people's minds. Donations are starting to roll in and we're working on getting the website together. Don't worry if you're not a poker pro. We're expecting players from all different skill levels and there's even an instruction table about an hour before the tournament starts for those who need it. This will be an afternoon of fun, luck, and skill where you will see your old friends and meet new ones and rub shoulders with the creators and makers of the awesome tools we use in our craft. Plus you'll feel good about your buy-in going to a good cause. www.soundartla.org

The Main Event buy-in is only $100 in advance with an optional $50 re-buy on the day of the tournament up to the third level of the blinds.The people that bust out early from the Main Event will have an opportunity to join in on $25 Sit & Go tables for a second chance at winning other prizes. (Sit & Go Tables are like mini tournaments where the 10 people play only against each other at the table until there are only 2 players left standing. They each win a prize based on the value of the total table buy-in.) Very fun and this mini tournament lasts only about an hour. This way, if you bust out early you'll still have ways to have fun.

Post in here if you think you might want to join us in the game so I can start getting a head count. It's going to be an amazing day so start brushing up on your poker skills. Who knows, you may just get lucky enough to walk away with the Grand Prize! (Like when Chris Moneymaker, the amateur, beat a field of almost 900 pros to walk away with 2.5 million in cash at the World Series of Poker in 2003. Our prizes won't be in the 2.5 million range but I guarantee there will be a lot of cool prizes.

Craig, thanks for letting me post here; you're awesome! Also, you're more than welcome to make a donation of your remix skills to a lucky winner's song if that interests you. Feel free to drop me an email and we can talk over the phone.

Soon, we'll post the registration date and all the details about the tournament including the sponsors and the prizes we're competing for. I'll let you know as soon as it's ready.

Thanks everyone!

Best,

Dave Reitzas

www.reitzas.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

When I first came up with the idea for this tournament, I had a dream that one of the prizes players would be competing for would be a Bricasti M7 reverb.

Well, I'm extremely thrilled to announce today that my dream has come true!

Bricasti has graciously committed to donating a brand spankin' new Bricasti M7 reverb to the tournament as one of the Grand Prizes.

--------------------------------------------------------

Another amazing update!!

Fletcher gave me the amazing news that Telefunken is in with an incredibly generous donation for the tournament- A genuine TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik ELA M 251 F. Yep, no sh*t... a real ELA M 251 F!!! ...an $8,500 USD value [as of the 6/15/09 price sheet].

The prizes are starting to roll in big time with exciting donations from major audio companies!

The website is almost done and registration starts soon.

If you don't know how to play poker yet, now is a good time to start learning. There's still 6 1/2 weeks left until the tournament.

I'll let you know when the site is up.

Dave Reitzas

• Members

Well the website is finally up. Please take a quick visit over there and you'll understand more what the event is about.

http://www.ri-pt.net

New gear sponsors are being added every day, famous engineers and producers are signing up, and everything is going as planned to make this day an incredible event for the people in our industry, the manufacturers of the gear we use, and especially the charity that will be the beneficiary of your generosity.

Thanks to all the sponsors who have signed on so far!

Join in before it's too late. Just over one month left to brush up on your poker skills.

Wait 'til you see on our website the prizes that have already been donated which anyone could end up winning for a very reasonable buy-in! Good Luck!

Dave Reitzas

• Members

Please take a quick visit over there and you'll understand more what the event is about.

Is the poster of the above comment a Spam robot that steals lines from posts and then repeats them to try and sell their wristbands?

Just curious if that happens around here often or if the 3 posts by this person is just an anomaly.

Thanks.

Dave Reitzas

www.reitzas.com

• Members

Hi Dave! The Ban Hammer is swift and merciless. The spam robot has been perma-banned. And yes, this happens all the time, but the moderation team is pretty good at whack-a-mole (or in this case, whack-a-vermin).

I went to the web site and must say this gets :thu: :thu:. I'll bump this periodically to make sure it stays on people's minds. Or maybe I'll just make it a sticky!

Props to you Dave for putting this together.

• Members

Hi Craig,

Thanks for letting me post about the tournament here.

I decided to put this event together for many reasons, but the main reason was that I miss the days when engineers and producers would run into each other in the halls of the studios. That still happens, but with the rise of home recording, the chance for professionals to mingle has diminished.

I thought by finding a good reason for people of the industry to get together for an afternoon of fun might reunite old friends and bring new friends together. Poker seemed like the perfect catalyst and the idea of making it a fundraiser was just a no-brainer.

I posted here on Harmony-Central because the people that contribute here, are the industry. The industry is not limited to the golden ear pros, but it's open to anyone who has a passion to make and record music.

I have received confirmation from some well known names in the industry and the prize list is growing each day with incredible sponsors. I invite anyone here to visit the web page, sign up, and come join us for a chance to win some great gear, hang out with your peers, and know that you'll be helping a charity that encourages young kids to express themselves through music and recording.

The website for the tournament is www.ri-pt.net

and the website for the charity that will receive the profits is www.soundartla.org

Hope to see some of you at the event.

Best,

Dave Reitzas

www.reitzas.com

Archived