Getting your oil changed at one of those "drive thru" shops....Scam?

Ryst

• Members

I can never trust these guys. You pull your car in, and there is some dude underneath who is supposedly just changing your oil but seems like he could be doing other things to your car that you can't see. And then the guys who are supposed to check/top off all the fluids seem to do a half ass job if they remember to do everything at all. I have had a few times where I had to remind them to do something that is part of the price of the oil change. :facepalm:

And you never see any actual prices posted in their shop of their various services. Do they just make this {censored} up to get as much as they can out of you?

It seems like a scam to me. What do you guys think?

• Members

Don't forget to have them rotate your headlight fluid at every oil change. It costs a little more, but it's worth it because then you don't have to change the air in your tires so often.

:thu:

• Members

It's like any other business: there some that are very good and well run and then there are the others.

If you are curious: Check your oil before you go in for a change. Note to color of it. It should look cleaner if it has been changed.

But, are they a scam? For the most part: no... They buy there oil in bulk 50 gal drums and their filters by the thousands. Actual cost? They can probably change your oil for around $5-6.00, labor included. So, it's a high volume business with the idea of do as many as you can a day and upsell every chance you get.

• Members

I go to monroe.

I always pop the hood to make sure the filter got changed (I can usually see them putting in the new oil, I don't think they would be stupid enough to not do that).

I could just do it myself at $16, but for since it's only $35 to have them do it I have them do it (especially in the winter)

• Moderators

It's been 20 years since I've changed oil myself.

These places do tend to attract some bone heads, just a casual observation. But I'll tell you my favorite service they offer, it's that one that goes like this;

"Sir, we're going to need to change your air filter". Then he shows it to me and it's toast and I say, "I'm good, no thanks." He insists for 30 seconds and I say, "No really, I'm good".

Then on my way home I get one at Kragen Auto Parts for next to nothing and pop it in right there in the parking lot. That's nice of those Jiffy Lube guys to remind me.

• Members

I get mine done at Pennzoil in Riverview MI. Have for almost 15 years, and never had a problem. I trust them. But, it took me a while to find someone who was not trying to pimp me every add on. The key if findin a good one near by.

Normally, I have no issue doing my own oil, but disposal of the old oil is a problem, and I would rather pay a bit more to keep my schedule on the car.

• Members

I use a couple of the different drive-through shops in Portland. I think they change the oil, air filter etc. okay (and have some evidence of that.) The ones I frequent all have prices posted. However, I eschew their "recommended services" like radiator service, transmission service etc. Appreciate their reminder and then take it to my mechanic.

• Members

I don't trust ANYBODY in the automotive business. When I first got out of college, I got a job as manager/salesman at a transmission shop. Worst job I ever had; I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I figured out pretty quick that about 90% of the cars that came in really didn't have a problem; tech would pull the pan off a GM TH350 trans and show me and the customer the little pile of metal filings in there. Ooo, you need a transmission job. Didn't take me long to figure out that a pile of filings was in every one I ever saw, even with 10,000 miles on it. My job was to sell them the job, despite the fact that nothing was wrong.

I'm quite proud of the fact that I was fired for being too honest.

• Members

I don't trust ANYBODY in the automotive business. When I first got out of college, I got a job as manager/salesman at a transmission shop. Worst job I ever had; I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I figured out pretty quick that about 90% of the cars that came in really didn't have a problem; tech would pull the pan off a GM TH350 trans and show me and the customer the little pile of metal filings in there. Ooo, you need a transmission job. Didn't take me long to figure out that a pile of filings was in every one I ever saw, even with 10,000 miles on it. My job was to sell them the job, despite the fact that nothing was wrong.

Thats disturbing. However, there are honest mechanics out there. I had a mechanic tell me there was absolutely nothing with my car after I was convinced otherwise. I kept insisting. He charged me 0$. I give him $20 for the effort. He says to me, "I could have told you I fixed this and that and charged you $200." I knew then he was a keeper.

• Members

agree, there are both honest and good mechanics. I just test them first. I found what I figured was a good/honest mechanic. I had an 85 RX7 with what I thought was a carberator problem. Dropped it off, told him to put a rebuilt carb on it. He called me back a couple hours later; vacuum leak. $10. Used him for 10 years, then he moved..! ahhggg!

• Members

Normally, I have no issue doing my own oil, but disposal of the old oil is a problem, and I would rather pay a bit more to keep my schedule on the car.

Just out of curiosity, where INDEED do they dispose of all that old oil? :confused: Does it have any costructive use at that point? Can it be partially recycled at all?

• Members

I've got a depression in my yard that is perfect for parking the car over, sliding up under there, and changing my own oil.

I'm a maitenance freak. It amazes me how people avoid the little bit of work that can keep their car out of the shop.

Ras, I don't exactly know what they do with the used oil, although I do know that a lot of the "no-name" oil you see for cheap in convenience stores is recycled oil. It will not have an SAE or API designation, on it, and should only be used if you have an old beater that leaks (i.e. - "changes it's own oil").

• Members

Just out of curiosity, where INDEED do they dispose of all that old oil?
:confused:
Does it have any costructive use at that point? Can it be partially recycled at all?

In NY any place that sells it has to take it.

Wal Mart, K-Mart, any jiffy lube etc... will take it. :thu:

EDIT: :facepalm: reading stuff at 3am for the lose.

• Members

+1,000,000 I hate to say it but this has been my experience too. My father was a mechanic so he was able to diagnose and (for the most part) do everything himself and got me and my brother into it at a young age. However, whenever we need something done that we don't feel like doing ourselves we bring it to a guy who is on point and does great work for a great price, but then we come to find out that he had ripped a neighbor of ours off (young single woman who didn;t know JACK about cars). It made me realize that the only reason he hooks us up was becuase we know what we are talking about and he can't BS us and he knows that, and that anyone that goes to him not knowing anything about cars will get ripped off. I think unfortunately this is the case with most mechanics, seems like every woman that I ever dated inevitably at some point told me about car trouble they had and what the mechanic they took it to did and just from what they told me I could tell they got ripped off...

• Members

Just out of curiosity, where INDEED do they dispose of all that old oil?
:confused:
Does it have any costructive use at that point? Can it be partially recycled at all?

I don't know about now, but in 79 when I was at that transmission shop, a company used to buy it up, clean it up a bit and use it for heating oil. there was a shop heater you could buy that burned it. I can't imagine that it would be a very environmentally friendly practice. But who knows.

As to being ripped off, I took my RX7 to the local Mazda dealer for some A/C work. Told them to so a state inspection to save me some time. Called me up and said I needed brakes all around, fronts were 10%, rears about 20%. I told him that was a bit strange since I'd changed the brakes myself 2 weeks prior. "well, er, uh, that's what the tech told me". Lying SOB. I have NEVER been back there for anything, won't even buy parts from them, let alone a car.

• Members

Not a scam, really. But very dependent on personell, management. If they do what they're supposed to in a minimally competant way, all's well. If not, you're better off giving your car to drunken monkeys. If you can find one with a good manager or a guy you can depend on, no prob. And yes, a lot of profit will come to them thru selling parts, services or maintenance plans you may not really need. You want fries with that? So, as always, caveat emptor, educate yourself.

• Members

I don't trust them, I have had bad experiences with them on more than one occasion where they try to make you buy repairs and even a time or two where I know they were lying. Something big like Wal-mart or Pep Boys would be less likely rip you off, seems to me.

• Members

agree, there are both honest and good mechanics. I just test them first. I found what I figured was a good/honest mechanic. I had an 85 RX7 with what I thought was a carberator problem. Dropped it off, told him to put a rebuilt carb on it. He called me back a couple hours later; vacuum leak. $10. Used him for 10 years, then he moved..! ahhggg!

Man, I have ALWAYS had a thing for those mid-80's RX7's. Those were the ones that were modeled after the Lotus Elan, if I'm not mistaken.

As for the OP, it pays to have a friend who's a mechanic, if only to shoot the breeze. I've picked up a good chunk of car knowledge from a friend of mine that works in the garage at a dealership around here. Yes, it is common for big service stations to try to sell you things like coolant flushes that aren't really necessary, can be done quickly, and obviously make money. The Valvoline here in town once wanted to change my transmission fluid - it was nowhere near due to be changed. Other than that they've been pretty good though.

• Members

Actually, I believe it was the Mazda Miata that was inspired by the Elan.

Did a little homework... turns out we're both right! The mid 80's RX7's were inspired by the Elan +2, while the Miata likely took styling clues from the Elan Sprint.

here's a pic of the Elan +2, and here's an '84 rx7. The similarities aren't blatant (the cars are a good 20 years apart) but they are definitely there.

And here's a handly little page that documents the similarities between the Miata and the Elan Sprint. :thu:

• Members

Back in the days when i drove 'merican cars, took my Pontiac to Jiffy Lube for a tuneup.

They said I needed a fan belt and the alternator adjusted, I let them do the work (dumb decision).

Car ran like hell when I got it back. Then I took it to my regular auto shop.

They discovered the repair was done incorrectly, and that they didn't do the tuneup I paid for.

Armed with the old spark plugs and dirty oil and air filters, I confronted the owner.

After seeing the evidence he paid me for both bills, it was that or talk to the attorny general.

If you do use them, watch them.

:facepalm::cool:

Archived