Killing the QuickTime Player

• CMS Author

Yeah, I know, we all want to kill it, but sometimes you just gotta use it. And when I do, it seems that it leaves something running that prevents the Windows power monitor service from turning off the monitor. It's not a big deal, but it just bugs me.

I have tools to kill off the process if I only knew what it is. Anyone?

This is Windows XP.

• CMS Author

Is there a particular reason you have to use Quicktime?

Well, yeah, because other than this little annoyance, it always works. I've never had much luck with the "all you have to do is have the right codecs" thing. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess it depends on what (and which version) was used to make the movie file. In fact, I have that Media Player Classic version (I use it as an alternative to Real Player) but it doesn't play some .mov files that the real thing will play.

I have the Quicktime player-only version loaded here, not the one that installs iTunes (and I don't have iTunes). Maybe that's what it's waiting for. ;)

• Members

it seems that it leaves something running that prevents the Windows power monitor service from turning off the monitor.

It's even worse here. Every time after I play something through the QT player, my computer runs slower until I reboot. Web pages display a little slower, and going to a folder in Windows Explorer updates the screen slower, etc.

--Ethan

• Members

I love Quicktime.

WMP doesn't recognize everything, with a utility quicktime will even read those stupid WMP and WMV files.

I hate Quicktime. But might just I hate WMP more. (Even though it's not the pernicious annoyance or danger thta QT is. It's just a rotten player from my point of view.)

I try never to load either one.

Like others here, I've noticed that QT often but not always leave at least one service running behind when 'unloaded' -- and tries to insert them into your boot profile so that it will be sucking down your resources next time you boot up.

I use WinAmp and Foobar for audio [love that ABX utility in Foobar -- great for cutting to the chase in suspected significant differences], and Media Player Classic (which I love but which doesn't love all formats equally -- can't get it to play +RW DVD VOBs for some reason) and, when MPC doesn't cut it, VLC (which does play the aforementioned VOBs -- although only once dropped onto the HDD -- suspect it may be a drive format issue, as the DVD's were made on a set top box).

On those occasions when I do find myself by mistake or necessity running QT, I check to make sure it hasn't installed itself back into my boot profile, which is an annoyance but one I've learned to live with.

(I had happily removed QT entirely from my machine but my NLE vid editor, Vegas, required the Apple package to be installed in order to use some of the Mp4 codecs... that said, for my purposes, at my typical resolution and b/w, the Mp4 codecs typicall are bested by WMV, of all things. [i suspect the Mp4 would shine at lower b/w -- but in head to head comparisons in the 10-25 MB/min range, Mp4 has tended to come up a noticeably inferior -- or much larger -- second to WMV].)

• Members
:D

It's been a number of years since I've system tools (so the perspective is prob obsolete), but at the time (pre XP), it did
seem
(from the behavior of some of their stuff) that the Apple's win port teams were probably mainly Mac native guys (or at least a little lean on the Win side)

Have you ever looked at Apple

• Members

Hello, my name is James and I'm a Process Counter. :)

I haven't installed QT Alternative to my latest computer. So far almost everything I've wanted to see in the QT format has already been ported to YouTube. But IIRC, loading qtask on bootup can be killed from the Startup tab of msconfig. I imagine it could be set to Manual in the Services Manager too.

Ableton recommends that QT be installed as it's the default sister video component. Seems I also read something about it being required to render certain formats for export. But all I ever render are .wavs so...

Archived