PC problem-sudden loss of video

• Members

exporting some audio from Sonar when suddenly the screen goes blank followed by a 'no signal' message from the monitor; same message I get after shutting down the PC. Things power up, but no video. So I replace the video card (AGP). Still no video. All fans are on, drives running, USB is powered, so seems like the power supply is OK.

So now the question is if it's worth having someone attempt to repair it. It's an ADK box from 11/2003. c: drive replaced

3GHZ cpu w/2GB RAM.

The machine still serves my purposes just fine, and I really don't have a couple grand to sink into a new machine right now, but don't want to waste money attempting to fix the current one if it's not worthwhile.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? I have no way to do any further diagnosis. Appreciate any advice.

• Members

It may be in your best interest to get a 'new' machine - aka "last year's model" from someplace like surpluscomputers.com or computergeeks. My daughter's system crapped out a few weeks ago (slow CPU) - I added more ram but to no avail. She's seeing her exact system at surplus for about a hundred bucks. Since she already has the additional 1G of ram and a high-capacity HDD, she's looking into that possibility. She doesn't do anything intensive on her system (no gaming, music or video production, etc), but it seems more worthwhile to spend a hundred for a system that she's familiar with and can upgrade with parts she already posesses, rather than a thousand for a dual-core processor and a bunch of bells and whistles that she'll never need.

• Members

Borrow a known-to-be-working monitor and try that before deciding it's the computer. You never know. Also test any cable doing to the video, including connectors.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I'd done that.

Flemtone: that's part of what I'm wrestling with; I've already upgraded all the drives, monitor, memory, a UAD-1 and the system still meets my DAW needs (Sonar 8 upgrades reduced cpu quite nicely). So it's hard to justify buying a new one which will immediately start being out of date. If I can get this one fixed for a few hundred bucks, I can then upgrade to a new system when I want to.

thanks for the replies.

• Members

Initially, I'd say fried AGP..Does it have onboard video you can enable and test or, can you find/borrow a PCI video card to pop in and test?

Otherwise, a new mobo might be a cheaper answer if all the other hardware is ok.

Archived