The First Pandemic of the 21st Century

• Members

It's not a government cover-up? The result of a top-secret government germ warfare experiment gone awry?

I think in some circles, yes it is. ;)

One thing to consider is that there are numerous cases of extremely dangerous samples that have left government labs and can't be accounted for. So, it is not outside the realm of possibility that an engineered virus could be released.

If I recall correctly, the anthrax attacks here were with samples that had been acquired from government labs.

But, this really seems like another one of these things the media and the government love to exploit.

Just to note, looking at the CDC website, it's looks like the yearly average number of US deaths from influenza is around 400 a year.

• Members

The report says raising the level doesn't mean it's more dangerous, just that it's more widespread.

The way I see it, if it kills me, I die. If it doesn't, I don't, unless something else happens that kills me. Case closed!

... you can thank Mexico later :wave:

On a more serious note, WHO's "levels" are only about how the disease spreads. It does not mentions mortality, percentages of infected, etc. It is just like

- level 3: occasional infection from human to human, in a city

- level 4: declared infection among humans in a large population, same country

- level 5: declared infection among humans in neighboring countries

- level 6: declared infection among humans in non-neighboring countries.

severity-chart.gif

... so, yes, it is a level 6 indeed. That does not mean it will kill 40 millions like in the 20's.

• Members

BULL{censored} FEARMONGERING! The world economy is tanking and they want more control over us. 30,000 people a year die in this country alone of the regular flu...GET IT!!! DON'T FALL FOR THIS CRAP.

No, no....be afraid!!!! :evil:

It speaks of government conspiracies, of lab experiments run amok, of secret germ warfare games, of Illuminati cover-ups, of Smoking Man, of Deep Throat, of backroom deals, of ancient pacts and rituals.

If you're not afraid, it's only due to......IGNORANCE!!!! :evil:

• Members

No, no....be afraid!!!!
:evil:

It speaks of government conspiracies, of lab experiments run amok, of secret germ warfare games, of Illuminati cover-ups, of Smoking Man, of Deep Throat, of backroom deals, of ancient pacts and rituals.

If you're not afraid, it's only due to...
...IGNORANCE!!!!
:evil:

To sum both of your posts, I'm more afraid of corporate fascism than swine flu. :p

• Members

I hate to break it to you, but we all, in actuality, are going to die.

You, my friend, have not been following Ray Kurzweil much lately.

After the groundbreaking K2000, he started working on a little thing he likes to call IMMORTALITY.

Aging is a pathology...

• Members

i understand it was the rapid spread of it in Australia that prompted to Pandemic classification.

The fear-mongering is that it will mutate into a deadly version. Ho hum :rolleyes:

I'm so sick of these fear mongering tactics - what with AGW and Swine flu we might as well bump ourselves off right now and be done with it.

The report says raising the level doesn't mean it's more dangerous, just that it's more widespread.

The way I see it, if it kills me, I die. If it doesn't, I don't, unless something else happens that kills me. Case closed!

That's pretty much how I look at it. Sure, I this flu season I might be more cautious when I'm around people who are sick, or wash my hands a bit more often, but I'm not planning on wearing a mask or anything. I figure that since there has been more than a couple of times when I could have / maybe should have died, but didn't, every day at this point is a bonus. I'm not going to spend too much of whatever time I have left worrying about what will ultimately be the cause of my inevitable demise.

So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt. 6:34 (NAS)

IOW, Sufficient unto the day is the BS thereof. ;)

• Members

Consider the source. All this panic-inducing "reportage" is from the same outlets that treat details of Christmas shopping as "news". (Which is, again, a fear-mongering message: "Consume before it's all gone!" or "Lament how we're not consuming as much as we used to!") I weep for the state of modern "journalism": driven advertising, which is in turn driven by ratings. Don't worry about the government; worry about the corporations.

• Members

You guys will all {censored} their pants if that thing mutates into a deadlier version this Fall. You'll stop making jokes about it if people you know and love catch it and start to die. I'm not buying the media panic but still I can see how this is a serious subject of concern. Just listen to what experts are saying about it - they will tell you that right now there is no reason to fear the flu, but we must work on a vaccine and other means to be ready if it mutates.

BTW dying of the flu is anything but funny. Its not the best way to go. You just drown from the inside on your own secretions and blood.

• Members

You guys will all {censored} their pants if that thing mutates into a deadlier version this Fall. You'll stop making jokes about it if people you know and love catch it and start to die. I'm not buying the media panic but still I can see how this is a serious subject of concern. Just listen to what experts are saying about it - they will tell you that right now there is no reason to fear the flu, but we must work on a vaccine and other means to be ready if it mutates.

BTW dying of the flu is anything but funny. Its not the best way to go. You just drown from the inside on your own secretions and blood.

Yeah, I am quite surprised by the lack of concern we have here on HC. Notice I just started the thread but have not added much to it except this. I`m not an alarmist but I do feel this could turn into something quite serious in the fall/winter and the vaccines better be available for a majority of the US population.

Many times, we say we are recovering from the flu but I think we mistake a really bad cold for the flu. Thats why so many ignorantly make light of this IMHO.

Archived