DAW Controllers

• Members

If you use Sonar, the VS-700 is the one.

For Logic or Cubase on the Mac, Euphonix, no question.

For Live, APC40. Totally wonderful.

And for general purpose control, the late, great Peavey PC1600 which is what I've used with Live all these years when performing.

With Pro Tools sessions, I use a C24.

With Live and Pro Tools I've been using the ProjectMix for about three years now.

... I've been thinking on switching to a 003. It is better integrated -as one may suppose- with Pro Tools than the PMix.

Of course, Craig, a C|24 is much better ! Still a little far from my budget, tough, even at employee's cost.

Before that I used an Event EZBus -with CakeWalk-, what a lovely device. Still keep it as my synth's submixer.

And before that, a Tascam US-428... And before that, a BRC for the ADATs :p

• Members

I currently have a CM Labs Motor Mix, which is okay; but I really like the form factor of the Euphonix Artist Series controllers. I think it would be great to just set them on top of a flat top keyboard -- like the Yamaha CP300 -- to create a nice, streamlined composing/mixing station. Since I'm primarily a Pro Tools user, the downside is that I'd have to use the Artist Series in HUI emulation mode, and the 4-fader MC Control isn't optimally designed for banking under the HUI protocol, which I understand is 8-fader only. The upside is that the Artist Series would work even better with my Logic Pro and Digital Performer software.

Alternately, I could wait and see if M-Audio comes out with an 88-note Axiom Pro. But if they did, I'm guessing it wouldn't have motorized faders like the Artist Series. And while the Axiom Pro is better optimized for Pro Tools than the Artist Series, it might not work so well with Logic or Digital Performer.

Ah, trade offs...

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I've been waiting to see if Digidesign is going to release a replacement for the Command 8, with the C24 styling and features but smaller.

Phil, I thought of you when I started this thread because I knew you lost your controller when you moved up from a Digi 002 to an HD rig.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

If you use Sonar, the VS-700 is the one.

For Logic or Cubase on the Mac, Euphonix, no question.

For Live, APC40. Totally wonderful.

And for general purpose control, the late, great Peavey PC1600 which is what I've used with Live all these years when performing.

With Pro Tools sessions, I use a C24.

Great hardware/software matches, Craig! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Phil
, I thought of you when I started this thread because I knew you lost your controller when you moved up from a Digi 002 to an HD rig.

Best,

Geoff

It's always nice to be thought of by your friends Geoff. :):o

I still have my Yamaha, which has a HUI control layer and 16 faders. I also have a Frontier Design Tranzport and Alphatrack, so I'm not completely without control surfaces. Actually, life would really suck if I had to do everything with just a mouse...

The Euphonix controllers really impressed me when I saw them at NAMM, but last I checked, they didn't have PC compatibility happening yet.

• Members

I use ProjectMix for Cubase and Pro Tools (when I use it). Mostly it is a combination between mouse and controller. I worked on C24 and liked that, too.

I tried and didn't like Novation Nocturn, still has some bugs.

The Euphonix controllers really impressed me when I saw them at NAMM, but last I checked, they didn't have PC compatibility happening yet.

Phil I didn't know you are on PC. And what happened to your studio's web-site? It's not on the web :(

• Members

As you can see from my sig, I only use Reason 4.0, and to control it I use a Yammy S80 because it has 88 weighted keys with channel AT (and I find it's action to be perfect for me) and it has 2 FC options (I can use one as an expression pedal and one to control the mod wheel) and a breath controller option for which I use a BC3a, along with a dedicated sostenuto pedal and assignable FS. I also use a Behringer BCR2000 to control all the knobs and faders on the Reason devices/instruments in real time and both the BCR and S80 work together perfectly for me, I couldn;t be happier.

• Members

I use a Kontrol 49 with Ableton Live.

I have the Scenes (pads) set to control:

Live (faders, pan, transport, etc)

2 Live Send Scenes (whatever's in there. usually verb and saturator)

KeyRig Wurly/Rhodes (don't laugh!)

KR Hammond (faders for tonebars, pads for click, lesley speed, etc.)

Operator (soft synth)

Impulse (drum)

I leave two Scenes blank for temp assignments, but I'm gonna try dedicating one to EQ8 sometime this week.

A ruggedized K49 w/ motorized faders and a working joystick is my dream controler.

Archived