POLL: UNDERGROUND STUDIOS

• Members

I recently posted how my basement studio was flooded. Underground studios have the advantage of some natural soundproofing, but the disadvantage of possible flooding. I just want to see what the percentage of above ground to below ground studios is.

Dan

• Members

If I did have my studio in the basement, I would definitely have stuff up off the ground whenever possible.

And I have also learned that carpet is an absolute no-no !! It is too heavy to throw out when wet and stinks if you leave it there.

Dan

• Members

I'm above ground (second floor), though I wouldn't really call it a studio at this point. More like a living room with gear in it. (And then there's a bedroom with even more gear in it, sort of a zombie graveyard of seriously underutilized gear.) Although my garage is at ground level -- and only about 13 feet above sea level IIRC.

When I was growing up in the postwar SoCal suburbs in the 50's, I would watch movies and TV and just marvel at the houses, which all seemed to have multiple stories and dark, groovy basements and attics where all kinds of cool things were found and strange events happened. (Even some of the apartments in the movies had stairways inside them. I was fascinated by stairways at a certain age. They seemed so exotic.)

• Members

I would love to have a basement, but they're a rarity out here in Southern California, it seems. I'd to have one, if nothing else, for extra storage, or a nice cool place to relax in the summer, or for extra rooms, or for a studio, or for a groovy space where all kinds of cool things are found and strange events happen.

• Members

Except for the harpsichord, the instruments are downstairs for me (now I'm built into a slope so it's one of those "daylight basements" where abt half of it is below grade)

there is drainage, sump pump in the heart of the below grade part which should be helpful (not guaranteed) -- the environment/situation doesn't really put me in flood-proneness [but used to live in the Ohio river floodplain, so I can dig the risks]

where I have had flooding...(it was before we completely finished the basement) water heater failure

it was one day before leaving on vacation for a week

(remember to turn your water off when leaving :eek:)

I suppose it's a risk, but man I do like the thermal stability and such

• Members

Interesting topic considering we had the worst flood in recorded history in this area about this time last year.

My studio, humble though it may be, is in my basement. I could see the flood by walking to the school next to my house, however, I'm elevated perhaps 30 or 40 feet from the area that was under river water and I was fortunate to have no flood water related problems at all.

• Members

When I was growing up in the postwar SoCal suburbs in the 50's, I would watch movies and TV and just marvel at the houses, which all seemed to have multiple stories and dark, groovy basements and attics where all kinds of cool things were found and strange events happened. (Even some of the
apartments
in the movies had stairways inside them. I was fascinated by stairways at a certain age. They seemed
so exotic.
)

Me, too. exactly the same story growing up suburban in Texas.

My great-grandmother in northern Arkansas, however, had a multi-storied house with a basement. I felt like I was in some English novel, what with that dank basement smell and ancient timbers and wallpapaer.

Archived