Which instrument should I play next?

Stabby

• Members

I love music. I currently play some jazz piano (just a beginner), but I'd like to add another instrument for some variety. I've been thinking about some instruments for months and I can't figure it out.

1) Trumpet. I adore the sound of the trumpet in jazz. I would love to be able to play it. One of the downsides is that I can't skip a single day of practice or my lips will weaken. Some days I'm just too busy with my studies or when I'm on vacation.

2) Drums. This looks like a lot of fun and it would help me become better at the piano since my rhythm will vastly improve.

3) Bass guitar. I love bass sounds, but I'm not sure if such a background instrument would suit me (no one really pays attention to the bass player in a band)

4) Hand percussion. I could buy a Handsonic HPD-10 and improve my rhythm with that. It seems like a very cool instrument to play. Or I could just buy a real conga set with bongos.

I would say the most important aspect is pure fun. But they all seem like a lot of fun! Is there any way I could figure out which instrument suits me best? I could take a few lessons, but that would be too expensive for all those instruments.

• CMS Author

Learn to play something that you already play better. If you want to play music with different instruments, find some friends who play. That way you can get instant gratification, and you can delegate who'll bring the pizza and who'll bring the beer.

• Moderators

Drums!!! Something about the division of a rhythm across all four of your limbs... it's just so all consuming. Your body is the pulse. And once you start getting that even just a little bit, it is reflected in everything you do musically going forward. If you weren't already on the piano, I'd say piano. Drums 2nd...

• Members

Plus, you have a drumset ready for impromptu jam sessions.

yeah, drumset at yo' house= every Tom, Dick, and Dickhead 'musician' will be coming over to jam/crash...eat yo' Twinkies, pork rinds, boink yo' Ho, siphon yo' gas, steal yo' Foodstamps, and yo' Zildjan 'simbo' an Cowbell be missin' after said 'Jam' did I mention they be stealin' yo' garden hose and Ramen Noodoos 2?

My advice?, Buy a set of Harmonicas from Musicians Friend....strap 'em on..ever' body's ban' needs a good Harp Player... you'll be invited to jam wif' da best Musicians around... no packin', no leavin' yo; gear behine... fo' someone to 'steel' you can jam, be called back, and not have to lug no gear otha' den 3 lbs. of Harp...and then YOU can boink THEY Ho's and drink up they 40 ouncers and split....:thu:

• Members

I would say the most important aspect is pure fun. But they all seem like a lot of fun!

Is there any way I could figure out which instrument suits me best?

I could take a few lessons, but that would be too expensive for all those instruments.

The real fun starts when you know what you want, and then learn this instrument properly.

If you don't know what instrument you like to learn, nobody can help you. And forget the trumpet, it takes years until you can play a straight tone, and your neighbours may shoot you before that time is over.

But for people with an attitude like you, it is better to leave it, and learning something with which you to earn a living.

• Members

I stick mostly with pianos and synths..... think of myself as mainly a piano player who uses synths for back-up stuff. Just to add some variety to my songs, I use hand percussion.... several types of drums, rattles, cymbals etc. I don't really "study" it and take away time from the piano, but it is nice to add something simple and real to a tune.

• Members

I would improve the piano chops. You`re just a beginner you say... well, learn to play the piano well enough so you can play through a chart. Learn the chords at least! To me the piano is the best first instrument to learn. After that, you can expand. Right now I think your focus should be improving on piano.

• Members

I would improve the piano chops. You`re just a beginner you say... well, learn to play the piano well enough so you can play through a chart. Learn the chords at least! To me the piano is the best first instrument to learn. After that, you can expand. Right now I think your focus should be improving on piano.

+10

Where I live, there are lots of guys who can play a lot of things half assed, and a few that are really great on one instrument. Guess which ones work the most?

• Members

I know a guy here that always seems to have a gig playing hand drums

He sits in with ALOT of people.

Ultimately, I guess it really depends on what your goals are musically.

Fun jamming with friends = drum kit have it set up at your house

Fun by yourself = guitar

Fun making a little money/jamming with friends = hand drums

Fun making more money = bass

If I were you I would focus on the piano playing, get some great chops like a couple others already said, and mabe add a bass synth pedal. You'd be putting out alot of sound and it would probably be alot of fun!

• Members

I love music. I currently play some jazz piano (just a beginner), but I'd like to add another instrument for some variety. I've been thinking about some instruments for months and I can't figure it out.

1) Trumpet. I adore the sound of the trumpet in jazz. I would love to be able to play it. One of the downsides is that I can't skip a single day of practice or my lips will weaken. Some days I'm just too busy with my studies or when I'm on vacation.

2) Drums. T
his looks like a lot of fun
and it would help me become better at the piano since my rhythm will vastly improve.

3) Bass guitar. I love bass sounds, but I'm not sure if such a background instrument would suit me (no one really pays attention to the bass player in a band)

4) Hand percussion. I could buy a Handsonic HPD-10 and improve my rhythm with that. It seems like a very cool instrument to play. Or I could just buy a real conga set with bongos.

I would say the most important aspect is pure fun
. But they all seem like a lot of fun! Is there any way I could figure out which instrument suits me best? I could take a few lessons, but that would be too expensive for all those instruments.

You already made your choice. :cool:

• Members

If you`re looking to make $$$ and be of the most use, the piano is going to deliver. If you`re looking to gig a lot, drums would be a good way to go. The thing about the piano is that it will introduce you to all the theory you will need and then you`ll be able to move to another instrument afterwards quite easily because all of the theory is there already.

I went to school with a percussionist who eventually became the drummer in my band. He practiced his main instrument, the drums but he also practiced the piano because he said, everything you need is there harmonically so I have no preference for you but I think its wise to get the piano down, then if you want to move over to drums, that would cover a lot of bases.

• Members

The flip answer would be trumpet.

At least it would keep the world from another singer! :poke:

However horns are the most difficult instruments to play...it may seem that keyboards, with their multiple lines are, but horns, besides being played in a way that looking at what you're doing's almost impossible, have the added difficulty of embouchure or the way the shape oof the mouth afffects not just the timbre of the instrument but the pitch of notes.

Hand percussion instruments can be learned easily but that's better after one gets full control of rhythm, which you suggest is not the case.

Also, many people just can't keep themselves from being too busy with those.

Drums would be good, perhaps, but b/c they seem boring when practicing simple parts many are tempted to try to do more than they've actually capablity to do. A bad drummer can ruin everything; in fact, many think the drummer should be the best musician in a band. Not only must perform multi-limb ambidexterously but also shade their playing to highlight what everyone else plays.

I nominate bass. Not only will it be something about which you, as a pianist, should have some idea but while it, like any instrument, can be a lifetimes work, can yield results quickly.

Keep in mind that you have not just standard upright & guitar basses but synth bass & fretless guitar bass.

BTW...

"3) Bass guitar. I love bass sounds, but I'm not sure if such a background instrument would suit me (no one really pays attention to the bass player in a band)"

Hmmm...Bootsy Collins, Jaco Pastorious, Larry Graham, Richard Davis, Ron Carter, James Jamerson, Stanley Clarke, Paul McCartney....yeah, I see what you mean. ;)

Archived