I refuse to join the digital television revolution...

Ryst

• Members

I haven't had cable tv for over 10 years anyway. And I only watch the occasional Conan O'Brien so I saw no need to buy a converter box to be "tuned in". Gonna sell the analog tv this week.

Anyone else not joining the digital tv age?

• Members

I've had digital since '94 when I got my satellite dish (the receivers have analog converters built in). Then we got HDTV a couple years ago, and I have to say, it's like having a microwave or a coffee grinder-you wonder how you ever lived without it.

I just recorded Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scott's. It's awesome in surround sound stereo and HD.

• Members

I have a flat-screen and a decent sound system, and I love it, sort of interesting since I never seem to get around to watching all that much TV except for Lakers playoff games and "24". So I guess I embraced it anyway.

OTOH, I still have never owned an iPod or similar device, and just got a cellphone a year and a half ago.

Really, though, if you don't wanna bother with it, great!!! You'll probably get a lot more work done! There's no more Lakers games, and it's amazing how much stuff I've gotten done this week!!!!!! :D

• Members

$20 here too, got the coupon. I have to say that the reception is WAY better, and we get more stations. The downside: It's the same bunch of programs as before.

Same here. I don't have cable because if I did I would never sleep. The extra stations are cool, and the picture is way better. Used the coupon and bought a second box just in case.

• CMS Author

$20 here too, got the coupon. I have to say that the reception is WAY better, and we get more stations. The downside: It's the same bunch of programs as before.

Like digital audio, when it works (properly), it works better than analog. But I'd rather see a little intermittent snow than have the picture break up and have the audio mute when the receiver isn't

perfectly happy with the signal. I couldn't use the rabbit ears that I had been using with the bedroom TV when I went digital, nor would the three antennas I tried that are sold for digital TV work (not only insufficient signal but no VHF coverage and we have two major network stations on VHF here). Finally had to split and wire in my rooftop antenna. And now I have to cut the tops off of a few trees so the carefully tuned-out reflections don't change (and break up the picture) when the wind blows.

The one benefit is that that I now get the other PBS station so I can watch Austin City Limits again. But I have to remember to do that. My two favorite video rental stores have closed, so I guess I'll have to start reading more books.

• Members

I'm too far from the transmitters to get all my locals over the air, so I have been a satellite customer for many years (Big Dish in Minnesota and Dish Network here in Florida). With satellite, as I am sure you are aware, there's no need for the digital conversion since it was done years ago. The problem now is that I often go for several days without turning the television on. I have a PVR with my satellite that records what I want to see and I simply watch at my leisure.

My silly setup.

87578076.jpg

• Members

We've refused to join the cable revolution and decided to do movies. So we got HDTV and DVD players when they first came out. I was a regular at my local Blockbusters for years until they rented me the same broken copy of Citizen Kane twice. IOW, I report it as broken, and they put it back on the shelf. :mad:

Thank you Blockbuster for driving me to get Netflix.

• Members

Replaced 3 of our 4 TVs with HD. The 4th will probably be replaced some time this year. Just watch OTA, but I've been looking at AT&T U-Verse, more so for their neat DVR. It can record 4 shows at once, and play them back on up to 6 TVs. Have 6.1 surround on the 46" set. It's not available in my area yet (no optic fiber here).

OTOH, only had cell phones for a few years, and have only the most basic of services. Only use it in situations were I would have used a pay phone, but now I can also receive calls (manly "where you at" inquiries),

Didn't have an mp3 player until a few months ago. I got on one sale for $10 (after rebates). I mainly use it to listen to old Jean Shepard radio shows (that I've downloaded) while walking/jogging.

Not much else in the way of hi-tech toys. I used to be involved in ham radio, but my lack of the gift of gab made it nearly pointless.

• Members

So I'm guessing that you will sit on your porch like your grandparents did and watch traffic go by ??

Dan

I haven't had cable tv for over 10 years anyway. And I only watch the occasional Conan O'Brien so I saw no need to buy a converter box to be "tuned in". Gonna sell the analog tv this week.

Anyone else not joining the digital tv age?

• Members

We've refused to join the cable revolution and decided to do movies. So we got HDTV and DVD players when they first came out. I was a regular at my local Blockbusters for years until they rented me the same broken copy of Citizen Kane twice. IOW, I report it as broken, and they put it back on the shelf.
:mad:

Thank you Blockbuster for driving me to get Netflix.

We did the same thing. After the digital switch we've joined Netflix. Too little available over the air in Albq and too many commercials (is it just me or have the # of commercials in a 1/2 hour sitcom just gotten ridiculous??).

Yeah, I had soured on Blockbuster. Last time I went they were closed down when I went to return the movies?!?

Jon

• Members

I have a TV for a) my son to watch cartoons and play video games on, which he enjoys, and b) for me to occasionally catch parts of NBA or NFL games in the rare moments that I can afford to spend time on that.

Despite that, we've been DirecTV customers for eight years, and since the rest of my house is on fiber already, I'll probably flip the TV over to FiOS as well soon enough.

But I really don't watch it. :idk:

• Members

Like digital audio, when it works (properly), it works better than analog. But I'd rather see a little intermittent snow than have the picture break up and have the audio mute when the receiver isn't

perfectly happy with the signal.

Perhaps we'll see better error handling (both intra- and extra-packet) and more graceful failure modes.

A couple of aspects that come to immediate mind that could make the problem a little (lot) easier

- we don't need perfect data fidelity (some losses/distortions are tolerable)

- we have a stream of data providing a context (so we could leverage that for statistical data reconstruction/patching - just straight buffering and interpolation as a simple example)

BTW anyone have the packet specs/format?

• Members

I get news off the internet. I have Netflix and stream the many movies and old TV shows available from their website.

I have a large record and CD collection and I write songs.

I like the outdoors.

I like to read.

I like to do "nothing".

I don't have time for much else.

(This is starting to sound like a profile on a dating website)!

Archived