RIP, Sky Saxon

• Members

Bum day for boomers...

The iconic hippie proto-punk Sky Saxon, lead singer of the grungey, garagey 60s combo, The Seeds, has died.

SkySaxon.jpg

http://austin.decider.com/articles/rip-sky-saxon,29678/

According to the Austin Decider, "he played his final gig this past Saturday backed by Shapes Have Fangs at Antone's" in Austin, where he'd been staying with his wife since playing Austin's Psych Fest in March.

• Members

I don't htink I want any more news today

I'm going to go make a cup of coffee and then find something big to ride my bike off of (I'm not really a big drop guy, but sometimes...well, it'll clear your head)

Um... just 'cause they say these things come in three's and we've already had the quota, don't get careless out there...

• Members

I only say that because, once you've seen the broken end of your femur poking through your ripped Levi's, it gives you a new appreciation of the fragility of the human body. And your blood flooding into the gutter from the ruptured femoral artery gives you a little glimpse of just how quickly it can all go away...

(Yes, I'm a very lucky guy. If you have to get your body ripped up in a motorcycle wreck, make it a few blocks from a fire/paramed station and less than a couple miles from a major trauma center. Oh, and make sure the ER room ortho surgeon was a Vietnam combat doc with a lot of experience with very similar wounds.)

• Members

no worries I appreciate the caution;

There's a funny thing in MTB - when you see the young guy rage you know he hasn't taken his big hit yet

I've had to learn my lessons :( (nothing life threatening thanks to luck)

I've got a surgically regrown ankle (necrotically crushed cartilage) from White Ranch [that one ruined my fencing fleche]

scars on both ankles from slick Rock trail (it was the first year the clipless pedal claws were exposed beyond the pedal frame and they both plunged into my ankles - the doc couldn't figure out how I managed to do that. I think it was because I took a head-bounce about a half hour before that and wasn't really working well)

a shoulder that pops from Walker Ranch (the nice thing is it improved my golf swing -- when I hear the pop, start the foreswing)

A head injury from poison spider trail

a 9 inch arm scar from having to get patched up by my pediatrician neighbor on a kitchen table after a night ride

oh, various and sundry ones beyond that (not because I'm so cool - but because, well, I'm not sure why but it certainly isn't because I'm a badass. Got a nice standing O for an ugly wreck at the Cactus cup one year -- softride...damn you softride!)

OK - so maybe I *was* excorcising some demons by tilting at windmills during those days

I hear ya

motorbikes can get you quick - used to do a little club roadracing (there's a lot of bicycle crossover) and we were sending folks off with the paramedics and that's with back protectors and the whole bit..

[luckllly, I avoided any major owwies - but I was never very good and wouldn't push it too hard]

a pal of mine (the guy that taught me to race) went down then got hit in the head by another rider - coma for 3 days and if he drinks like 1 drink he starts slurring his words :eek: (I don't ride anymore -- wife's family won't let me, her uncle died on a street bike)

OK, dinner is in the oven for the woman - off I go to injure myself yet again ;)

• Members

Kitchen... most dangerous room of the house... except for the bathroom.

;)

Yah... sounds like you've had some hard lessons in personal fragility, as well. Your ankle, especially, sounds bad. In addition to the butterfly-fractured femur [which it turned out remained broken for almost five years -- always get a second opinion; when I switched docs, he immediately saw it was still broken -- maybe it was more obvious by then, eh? -- and put me on an electromagnetic bone regneration therapy, which happily worked], and ruptured femoral artery, I had an 'exploded' hip socket (from the upward force of the femur), and a shattered ankle (still has two plates and five screws/pins; a rod in the femur; plates and screws in the hip).

Up until that point, all I'd had were a couple of hairline type fractures and some sprained ankles. I'd been to an ER as a 3-1/2 year old, with a gash in the top of my head from hanging off one of those old playground 'merry-go-rounds' (the kind the insurance companies don't let them put in anymore). But that was my only experience with a real hospital.

After two months (6 weeks in traction), I sort of had the hospital experience down...

PS... I shouldn't really call it a motorcycle wreck -- although the car that hit me did wreck the bike, too. The motorcycle -- and me -- were entirely passive victims, merely minding our own business, following the car in front of us at normal speed on a city street when the car's driver apparently decided to punch a left. Through me.

• Members

Yah... sounds like you've had some hard lessons in personal fragility, as well.

Well, enough that I've learned to check for symmetry before the swelling starts :D

nothing I'd class as imminently life threatening, but a bit of time staring up at the sky trying to figure out what parts still move correctly and what doesn't

but it's part of me (now in scar tissue ; ) and grandma told me to keep doing it

eh, anyway I feel better today

(and thanks for the reminder to not do something too stupid )

• Members

They were really big for a pretty short time. The sixties had a lot of that... look at the Nuggets series. A lot of those garage bands only had a couple of strong songs, to be sure, but there were lots of cool bands that had their fifteen minutes -- or more likely 3'20" -- of fame and then were gone like snow on the water.

The Seeds had longer legs than many, but ultimately, the fickle pop fans' tiny attention spans snapped to the next shiny object... like a snare sample to the grid.

Archived