HOW COME....(usb2 stuff)

Coaster

• Members

HOW COME...

i have 2 usb2 hubs, both are belkin and are identical. one is on a G4(with add on usb2 card) and one is on a PC with builtin usb2.

1. on the PC, i have to have my wireless connection AND usb 8gig stick on the hub or they wont work, i.e. if i have the stick in the hub and the wireless in the computer i cannot access the stick.??????? USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED and it took 3 hours of fiddling to figure out to use both i had to have them both in the hub.

2. on the mac, if i have the stick in the hub and hookup my ipod the stick gets removed THE DEVICE WAS NOT PUT AWAY PROPERLY......... and as soon as i remove the ipod the stick comes back.

i liked my firewire sneakernet a lot better, but the pc had to have its firewire card removed so i could hook up a scsi sampler.

signed, frustrated usb2 coaster.

• Members

USB hubs and internal connectors are not wired for consistent power. The macbooks now are having weirdness, with the back port being hard wired to the mobo, and the front port 'shared' and not getting the same consistent voltage. Yet another reason, to me, USB is a lie when compared to the performance and stability of FW, but hat battle is lost already..I hope USB 3 is what it supposed to be...

Thinking about it, you could probably hack test the voltages with a multi meter and a usb cord with the end bared for connections testing..

• Members

All of the world's laptop Pro Tools systems are going to be in a world of hurt if we can't get firewire drives at some point in the relatively near future... USB 2 sux for audio recording...

I'm using a Glyph PortaGig 320gig FW800 drive with my MBP. I use it primarily with DP6 but wouldn't it work with Pro Tools?

• Members

All of the world's laptop Pro Tools systems are going to be in a world of hurt if we can't get firewire drives at some point in the relatively near future... USB 2 sux for audio recording...

I think you'll be able to get FW enclosures from a place like OWC for a long time to come. That way you can roll your own FW drive with an off-the-shelf SATA HD.

Archived