Bruce Swedien please end the controversy!

• Members

Michael Jackson had probably the greatest music producer of the last half of the 20th century (Quincy Jones) and probably one the greatest recording engineers of the all time (Bruce Swedien) who hired the best studio musicians on the planet and recorded in the best recording studios in the world.

He also had ridiculous budgets that allowed his engineer and producer to mix a song like Billy Jean a hundred times. MJ was a great entertainer and a pop icon, but he had nothing to do with the beat or the sound of those drums. The credit there goes to Quincy, Bruce, great drummers and the resources to put it all together.

No disrespect to MJ, but that is the truth.

I believe that it is possible that Michael Jackson recorded his drum and bass tracks with MIDI sequencers and heavily quantized it. I also realize that he may have hired real drummers on some songs. I believe that he was his own producer on many songs.

Bruce , could you please clear this up for all of us. enquiring minds want to know.

Dan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I`m not mistaken, anyone who worked for MJ had to sign a contract that nothing would be discussed so... you`re probably going to get nothing but the standard ...

"MJ was a talent the world has never seen, I was honored to work with him. The world will miss him".

[Edit] Just wanted to add that I`ve been listening to MJ since his passing...

TechChristian- His records were a hybrid of live drums and MIDI/samples. You can here it on "Beat It" for example. At the ten second mark, you clearly have MIDI drums, then at 00:23 real drums kick in and you have a mix of MIDI with real drums throughout the remainder of the song.

As I`m listening to this, I`m reminded of how many people say software today, especially REASON, has "a sound" to it. MJs records have an older 80s MIDI sound to them, sort of reminds me of Def Lepperds records; a juxtaposition of real and samples. Nothing wrong with "that sound". Its all about what you put around it.

• Moderators

Over the years there have been many articles about the recording of Billy Jean, etc. Rest assured, those Off the Wall and Thriller tracks were played by a kick ass drummer.

Perhaps there was some midi stuff here or there. Most likely. But the groove you seem to be referring to was human.

• Members

I believe that it is possible that Michael Jackson recorded his drum and bass tracks with MIDI sequencers and heavily quantized it. I also realize that he may have hired real drummers on some songs. I believe that he was his own producer on many songs.

Bruce , could you please clear this up for all of us. enquiring minds want to know.

Dan

A link I posted in the RIP MJ thread, also citing how MJ was an active participant in the whole process:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(album)

Jackson reunited with
Off the Wall
producer
Quincy Jones
to record his sixth studio album. The pair worked together on 300 songs, nine of which were eventually included.
[17]
Thriller
was recorded between April and November of 1982, with a production budget of $750,000. Several members of the band
Toto
were also involved in the album's recording and production.
[17]
Jackson wrote four songs for the record: "
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
", "
The Girl Is Mine
" (with
Paul McCartney
), "
Beat It
" and "
Billie Jean
".
[18]
Unlike many artists, Jackson did not write these songs on paper. Instead, he would dictate into a sound recorder; when recording he would sing from memory.
[19]
[20]

The relationship between Jackson and Jones became strained during the album's recording. Jackson spent much of his time rehearsing dance steps alone.
[20]
When the album's nine songs were completed, both Jones and Jackson were unhappy with the result and remixed every song, spending a week on each.
[20]
Jones believed that "Billie Jean" was not strong enough to be included on the record, but Jackson disagreed and kept it. Jones told Jackson that
Thriller
would be unlikely to sell successfully like
Off the Wall
had, because the market had since weakened. In response, Jackson threatened to cancel the album's release.
[17]

In one interview, Jackson said that he was inspired to create an album where "every song was a killer" and focused the basis of
Thriller
as to ask, "Why can't every one be like a hit song?".
[21]
Jones and songwriter
Rod Temperton
gave detailed accounts of what occurred for the 2001 reissue of the album. Jones discussed "Billie Jean" and why it was so personal to Jackson, who struggled to deal with a number of obsessed fans. Jones wanted the long introduction on the song to be shortened; however, Jackson insisted it remain because it made him want to dance.
[18]
Jones and Jackson were determined to make a
rock
song that would appeal to all tastes and spent weeks looking for a suitable guitarist for the song "Beat It",
a song Jackson wrote and played drums on
. Eventually, they found
Eddie Van Halen
of the rock band
Van Halen
[18]
[20]

I'll also add that I once briefly met Michael Jackson's drummer (or one of them, anyway), so, uh, he has at least one human drummer!! :D

• Members

MJ worked with the perfect storm of dream team, a once in a generation combination of talent. Bruce and Quincy are both geniuses. The other day I was driving around and an old Bruce mix came up on the radio. It was so much better sounding than anything before or after on the same station it was like my car radio had been swapped out for a better one just for that song! Bruce is a genius. Quincy's a genius.

But MJ was a genius of a sort that goes beyond even the usual superlative definition of the word. All his personal issues cloud his musical rep, but as a musician, he was so freakishly good, that it's impossible to overstate his talent. He's among the best musicians who ever lived.

• Members

But MJ was a genius of a sort that goes beyond even the usual superlative definition of the word. All his personal issues cloud his musical rep, but as a musician, he was so freakishly good, that it's impossible to overstate his talent. He's among the best musicians who ever lived.

Perfectly stated!

• Members

Dan

I suspect his records were done like most were in the '80s--a combination of both real and machine. The liner notes to his albums would suggest this. I know there was a real drummer on Billie Jean, and several of the songs on Thriller, but sequencers and drum machines were often used on his records as well. Sometimes a real drummer would play along with a machine.

I imagine Michael and his production team did anything they could to get whatever result they were after.

• Members

I believe that it is possible that Michael Jackson recorded his drum and bass tracks with MIDI sequencers and heavily quantized it.

It is also possible that MJ recorded Thriller all by himself in his basement on a Tascam Portastudio. Possible? Yes. True? Not at all.

Again (for you sensitive souls out there). Michael Jackson was immensely talented as a performer and in many other ways, but a great drummer he was not.

That he had the best production team in the world, the best musicians, and songwriting help, and almost a million dollar budget on Thriller does not minimalize or trivialize his immense gifts. It does however put them in perspective.

I am not dissing MJ in any way here. Just giving credit for the drum sound (which is what my post was about) where it is due.

There is no controversy here. Who the drummers, engineers, producers on his records is well documented. As are his enormous recording budgets.

• Members

Hey Dan, one thing to keep in mind with MIDI (not that a sequencer has to be MIDI) -- MIDI was speced in '83

Well if it wasn't MIDI that he used on Billy Jean, then it was tape loops or some other automation. That "real drummer" he used was probably looped. I'll bet that each beat of 1 2 3 and 4 deviate no more than 10 ms from perfect.

Dan

• Members

Well if it wasn't MIDI that he used on Billy Jean, then it was tape loops or some other automation. That "real drummer" he used was probably looped. I'll bet that each beat of 1 2 3 and 4 deviate no more than 10 ms from perfect.

Dan

Nope...it was all Ndugu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_'Ndugu'_Chancler

One of the best time-keepers in history.

He may have been playing to a master click, though.

• Members

Nope...it was all Ndugu.

One of the best time-keepers in history.

He may have been playing to a master click, though.

The beat to Billie Jean is very simple. There is nothing revolutionary or original about it. What makes it amazing is how it sounds, and the integrity of the amazing drummer that played it.

And again; this takes nothing away from MJ's writing or amazing perforamnce, not to mention the way cool video that pushed the sales to amazing numbers.

• Members

Not likely. Dan seems rather obsessed with NPS (notes per second). Particularly in triplet form.

Not true. when I'm playing to music I play a very MINIMALIST style, just holding time/grove with only a few rolls. I don't force any licks in if they don't fit. I'm still trying to get a copy of that jam that I did with Craig.

Yes it was a simple beat, on Billy Jean, but the precision was uncanny.

Dan

• Members

Not true. when I'm playing to music I play a very MINIMALIST style, just holding time/grove with only a few rolls. I don't force any licks in if they don't fit. I'm still trying to get a copy of that jam that I did with Craig.

Yes it was a simple beat, on Billy Jean, but the precision was uncanny.

Dan

Bruce Swedien revealed on another forum that Billie Jean was recorded before there were loops and drum samples, and Ndugu performed the take from beginning to end.

I'd copy and paste the quote here, but I don't know if he'd be cool with it. But I've basically paraphrased what he said.

Anyway, here you go...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Bruce Swedien revealed on another forum that Billie Jean was recorded before there were loops and drum samples, and Ndugu performed the take from beginning to end.

I'd copy and paste the quote here, but I don't know if he'd be cool with it. But I've basically paraphrased what he said.

Anyway, here you go...

Thanks for that, kurdy.

Here's another one where he shows off some sick polyrhythms:

8ZmZPgbqIZM

I am a big fan of musicians that choose to play drums, as opposed to the people who buy a set of drums, set them up, and wail on them with no musicality, whatsoever.

I could watch Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Bernard Purdy, and Buddy Rich (and all those other greats) on YouTube or Drummerworld all day long, and I'm not even a drummer.

• Members

From what I understand Bruce is pretty shaken up by MJ's passing. If he has any answers, it will be on his own time. For now, I think we need to respect that Bruce lost a co-worker of truly historic proportions, and simply be grateful that we have been left with some outstanding recorded music.

Archived