Can dogs get the Flesh Eating Disease?

halljams

• Members

Does that {censored} even exist anymore?

I heard you get it from drinking hot water from the tap? Old rusty HW heaters.

My dog doesn't drink hot water from the tap, but that {censored} on his leg is nasty.

Ever just wanna say '{censored}' a lot. Not like ahhhhh shiiiit like a wegro. Just a down home four letter curt "{censored}".

Feels good.

{censored}.

• Members

I know they can get various strain of strep (which can have "flesh eater" type symptoms) but I don't know if it's cross communicable or if it lives in water heaters

I *THINK* (grain of salt here) those "flesh eating" things tend to be bacterial, so you may have a wider range of therapeutic options for the little guy (than, say a viral infection)

• Members

There was recently a news story saying that household pets can carry MRSA.

But guess what?

A huge percentage of the general population already carries it. If I recall correctly, something like 40% of the patients and staff in hospitals carry it.

It's an opportunistic infective agent. Your immune system generally has to be pretty low for the infection to take hold.

It may be rampant in hospitals, but it's no joke -- even though it's not at all like the idiot TV news shows make it out to be. It can drag down an otherwise weak patient and contribute heavily to deterioration of his condition.

My mom's late gentleman friend got a MRSA infection in a surgical wound treating bladder cancer at the normally considered prestigious UCLA Medical Center. It was a terrible burden during his attempts at recovery.

UCLA totally bollixed the case on several fronts. They could hardly have done a worse job in many ways. Right down to 'forgetting' to tell him after a 'clean-up' surgery that his cancer had returned and that the end was in sight.

That would have been a real nice thing to know. As it was, a rehab hospital nurse was the one that told my mom. My mom had expressed fear that he wasn't recovering well and the nurse kind of stopped in her tracks and said, "You do know he's dying, don't you." That nurse administrator was very helpful in getting the information that UCLA 'forgot' to give the patient and his family sorted out. About a week later, he died. UCLA just made excuses and their doctors pointed their fingers at each other. The family just wanted the pain to be over, but I felt they should have sued, even if they gave the money to charity.

Great moments in health care.

• Members

One of the problems with hospitals, of course, is that every part of their interiors are full of people with all sorts of diseases & as much as they may try to sanitize things, they often do that with agents that not only kill some germs, microbes, etc., but can have significantly bad effects on our health.

Archived