When I Was a Young Girl, well, not me, it's the title of the song.

• Members

A friend of mine wrote this song in 1964. I just tripped on it doing some research for a project I am going to do about him. It was originally done by Nina Simone in 1964. I don't believe he is aware of this version (in fact I am sure he isn't). I LIKE IT. But then, I like most Feist stuff.

When I Was a Young Girl...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Ah, a bit of a problem. According to this site

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/n/nina+simone/when+i+was+a+young+girl_20100589.html

the song is written by (Billy) Sebastian Mure, the fellow that I know. Other sites indicate that it is a traditional song. Billy has it on the list of songs that he wrote that I am working with. Hmmmm.....

Another site crediting Sebastian Mure.. http://boscarol.com/nina/html/where/wheniwasayoungg.html

• Members

I've found conflicting info on this all over the place. He's probably stopping by tomorrow night, so I'll show him the Feist video and a Simone video that I found and try to figure out what's up. This song is a bit out of character for Billy, but, I have only known him for about 3 years, and, afterall, his is 93 years old now. He is credited on one of the Simone sites that I found. Color me confused.

• Members

There is a pretty amazing resource on the web called

Using their search, you can find threads researching traditional songs. Here's an example re: "The Bad Girl".

From the site you posted (a bit further up the page):

My source for this song is FOLK SONGS OF NORTH AMERICA by Alan Lomax,

I made an assumption on the date that he supposedly wrote it, and that is obviously wrong since the book was written in 1960.

Archived