iPod distortion -- a word of warning

scud133

• Members

I recently got a new iPod Classic to replace my dead (older) iPod photo. I had set up a custom smiley face EQ that worked wonders with my old iPod, but I've noticed it introduces *severe* distortion with the new ones, even when using Apple's own "Sound Check".

So I just thought I would pass this on -- you can disable 'Sound Check' and use a program like MP3Gain or AACGain (or iGain, a nice app that combines them both in an easy interface) to lower each track's level so you can apply the desired amount of EQ without introducing distortion. :love:

It adds a small data tag to each MP3/AAC file to tell your device to play at a user-specified input level, say -10dB (it's non-destructive and reversible). So then you can boost EQ to your heart's content and you won't hit the digital ceiling. And yeah, you'll have to turn up your headphones a bit more to compensate, but I've always had plenty of extra volume anyway.

:thu::thu::thu:

On a side note, when iGain analyzed my music library, about 90% of the songs clipped. ugh :facepalm:

• Members

it's also kind of gratifying to watch iGain go to work, and see that the tunes you always knew sounded better actually require no adjustment at all (or sometimes even a boost, because they originally peaked below your new specified input level)

• Members

Honestly I've heard my iPod Classic introduce significant distortion to a lot of music even with the eq completely disabled. I don't know if it's the D/A converter or what but it's by far one of the worst-sounding portable music devices I've heard.

Unfortunately Apple has completely cornered the market for harddrive-based media players... virtually every would-be competitor (and there were plenty 3 or 4 years ago) has backed off and stuck to smaller, flash memory based capacities. Which is a bummer, because even though I hate the sound of my iPod, I'm absolutely addicted to the convenience of having my entire music collection on tap at all times. Every time I use it I still think it's the greatest thing in the world.

• Members

Unfortunately Apple has completely cornered the market for harddrive-based media players... virtually every would-be competitor (and there were plenty 3 or 4 years ago) has backed off and stuck to smaller, flash memory based capacities. Which is a bummer, because even though I hate the sound of my iPod, I'm absolutely addicted to the convenience of having my entire music collection on tap at all times. Every time I use it I still think it's the greatest thing in the world.

sad truth :cry:

but it's not like we're a small number of afflicted. When I was searching about this, Google turned up thousands of results of people with this exact problem. At some point, Apple is going to have to take notice.

We can't just be expected to shell out hundreds for a device that doesn't "just work" out of the box.

I shouldn't have to use ReplayGain to drop the level on all my music. It's 2009... the iPod should be smart enough to avoid clipping

Archived