OT: This Black and Decker toaster oven caught on fire!

UstadKhanAli

• Members

http://www.target.com/Black-Decker-Toaster-Oven/dp/B00130399K

# DPCI: 072-09-0278

# ASIN: B00130399K

Just a heads up. I had this piece of garbage Black and Decker toaster oven. In a matter of minutes, the entire outside, including the glass door, gets so hot that you can burn your hand even if you just touch it for a brief second. In the case of my toaster oven, the timer also did not turn off, causing a tortilla to burst into flames in under four minutes with flames licking the top of the oven and black smoke coming out. My house still smells like smoke a week later.

I know two people who have this same toaster oven, and while their toaster ovens have not burst into flames, one has had issues with the timer as well, and both report that the outside is dangerously hot.

This oven is a fire hazard and is dangerous.

DO NOT BUY THIS TOASTER OVEN.

• Members

Ken + Fire = Bad Stuff.

Just a heads up. I had this piece of garbage Black and Decker toaster oven. In a matter of minutes, the entire outside, including the glass door, gets so hot that you can burn your hand even if you just touch it for a brief second. In the case of my toaster oven, the timer also did not turn off, causing a tortilla to burst into flames in under four minutes with flames licking the top of the oven and black smoke coming out. My house still smells like smoke a week later.

I know two people who have this same toaster oven, and while their toaster ovens have not burst into flames, one has had issues with the timer as well, and both report that the outside is dangerously hot.

This oven is a
fire hazard
and is
dangerous.

• Members

Man! and
B&D
is thought to be one of the best brands out there....

That's been a while...

It was certainly my impression that, by the 80s, if not the 70s, B&D had sunk near the bottom of the old brand names. [Of course, all these old brand names are nothing more than nameplates in today's global, product-design-by-catalog era.]

But... I have to say, I had hoped for a while that they might be on their way back up...

I have a B&D rechargeable battery powered screwdriver that holds a charge for supernaturally long periods.

I mean, the first three years of light duty, I charged it, maybe, twice. The initial charge held over a year of infrequent use. I'd buy another in a sec, even though it's still going great, at least 6 years later.

I also had a B&D mini-vac from the 80s that held up for 20 years (although the battery wasn't nearly in the same league).

If you want to talk about utter crap that doesn't work from the word go -- and you're willing to base that talk on one man's frustrating experience with one device (a gift from his mom) -- I would bring your attention to the Dust Devil, plug in "Platinum Force" hand held "industrial strength" vacuum.

LAME PRODUCT >> 149m3xc.jpg

The Dust Devil Platinum Force can barely pick up a tiny bit of feather -- and to do it you have to go hit it just right. Don't even bother wasting your time with something tough like talcum powder or finely ground coffee... I strongly suspect a mayfly could walk right under it while it was roaring away without barely ruffling a gossamer wing.

The good side of the Dust Devil?

It never has to be emptied.

• Members

That was my impression. I wasn't aware that they had Behringerized.

:D

I have to say, I do love my B&D rechargeable screw driver, though. I seriously don't think I have to charge it more than once every 18 months or so. (It only sees occasional use, to be sure. But I have other rechargeable battery driven stuff that has to be charged before just about every use and don't forget and leave it sitting for a few days without using it because you'll just have to charge it all over again.)

That said, I did have a crappy
DUST DEVIL
as well that, as blue describes, could barely suck squat.

Actually, I'm pretty sure mine can't suck squat. I tried sucking squat.

It could'nt pick up powdered squat in zero gravity.

• Members

The wife bought me some B & D hand tools awhile back. The battery op drill is starting to crap out. The brushes and commutator spew a fair ammout of ozone and sparks so I believe its on its last leg. This is unlike the old AC powerd black and decker hand drill I have.

Bought that sucker 15 years ago, I guess its an 80s version or older, all metal. It cranks like its new and expect it to last the rest of my lifetime. Its just too bad it doesnt have a reverse mode.

This just goes to show you, you can surely get things screwed up easily with a good tool, but getting unscrewed is difficult so you make dam sure when you decide to screw something up, you screw it up properly so theres no need to back screw on the intentional screwup which can really screw with you up.

• Members

This oven is a
fire hazard
and is
dangerous.

Ken,

File a report with the United Consumer Product Safety Commission, also have your friends file as well. They will investigate, especially if receiving complaints from more than one individual, and issue a safety recall on the product. As you well know from your own devastating experience; you might save someone's life by turning hazards like this in.

http://www.cpsc.gov/

• Members

LOLZ at the customer reviews:

funny, great minds think alike, the first thing I did was read the reviews and half of them are "this oven caught on fire".

Glad you're OK Ken, follow Ani's advice and file. I'm curoius if each of us SSS'ers can file with the CPSC even though we don't own this product? It just seems so obvious that this product should be recalled.

One note - I was hoping for a photo of the burnt oven, maybe a sepia tone or black and white with some vignetting:poke:

• Members

LOLZ at the customer reviews:

Many of those reviews would definitely give me pause. Funny thing is, when I bought my current, really cheap, Toastmaster (now, there's an old nameplate) while shopping at Target, I looked at that B&D or one very similar and rejected it for reasons I can't quite remember -- but I seem to recall thinking that mine, with just two mechanical knobs and nothing fancier than an LED pilot light, had a little less to go wrong.

(Simplicity in cheap consumer products is something I almost always seek out -- since, over and over and over it is some little slice of supposed sophistication -- often digital -- that kills otherwise still functioning consumer gear.)

The review that dropped MY jaw was the jerk who defended it, telling other people they were stupid because they didn't follow the directions to turn the dial past 10 before setting it and urging other people to ignore the people whose ovens caught fire and buy one.

I mean, I normally appreciate a spikey contrarian point of view but that guy made me want to punch him. Reach through the internet and punch him. Hard.

• Members

funny, great minds think alike, the first thing I did was read the reviews and half of them are "this oven caught on fire".

Glad you're OK Ken, follow Ani's advice and file. I'm curoius if each of us SSS'ers can file with the CPSC even though we don't own this product? It just seems so obvious that this product should be recalled.

One note - I was hoping for a photo of the burnt oven, maybe a sepia tone or black and white with some vignetting:poke:

:D

I never took a photo of it. What I was really resisting doing was taking it outside and jumping up and down on it repeatedly.

But no, I took it back, partially because I wanted to see how Customer Service would react to seeing a burnt toaster oven like that. I did get my money back. I will file a complaint with the CPSC tomorrow. Thanks for the link, Ani.

My girlfriend bought the thing while shopping at Target, so we never had a chance to look at those horrible reviews beforehand. Also, our toaster oven didn't work when we were turning the dial past ten, so blue2blue, feel free to punch his lights out! :D

I put a review up on the Target website, pending approval by their staff, and I've sent an email to Black and Decker, so the CPSC is next.

• Members

EMERSON-MWG9111SL-MICROWAVE-OVEN-WITH-GR

$90 I spent on this piece of crap. I thought to myself "grill in the microwav hell yeah!"

Except wait a min grilling in a microwave? Yeah not such a good idea.

Thing burnt out in less than 10 months. Arced and smelled horrid when it did, like it farted and died. So I go online to look around and not so surprising I find very similar results for other people on this model. Some even reported the thing went and caught fire. Worse microwave ever. Looks okay I guess though.

• Members

I thought to myself "grill in the microwav hell yeah!"

I gave up on Toaster Ovens years ago, and bought a Sharp Microwave/Convection Oven/Grill thingy. I love it. It has a combo grill/microwave function that works great. No mushy zap crap.

Not sure they make them anymore, but mine is excellent.

• Members

What do you want for $31?

I expect that anything that I buy will adhere to the consumer safety standards that we have in this country.

I expect that the controls on anything will actually control what they are supposed to.

I expect that something I purchase will actually work upon the time of purchase.

I expect quality control from a major appliance company.

I expect that something will not burst into six inch flames and spew black smoke in less than four minutes.

I expect that something will not be so hot on the outside that it will not literally burn you if you even touch it for a second.

I expect that it will be better than the cheaper $20 toaster oven that I purchased fifteen years ago that I still use at my work.

Ernest, if you purchase a cheap toaster oven, coffee maker, or other appliance, do you feel it's okay for it to burst into flames simply because it has a low price?

• Members

I expect that anything that I buy will adhere to the consumer safety standards that we have in this country.

I expect that the controls on anything will actually control what they are supposed to.

I expect that something I purchase will actually work upon the time of purchase.

I expect quality control from a major appliance company.

I expect that something will not burst into six inch flames and spew black smoke in less than four minutes.

I expect that something will not be so hot on the outside that it will not literally burn you if you even touch it for a second.

I expect that it will be better than the cheaper $20 toaster oven that I purchased fifteen years ago that I still use at my work.

Ernest
, if you purchase a cheap toaster oven, coffee maker, or other appliance, do you feel it's okay for it to burst into flames simply because it has a low price?

Hey Ken,

I used to expect those things too but nothing is made to last that was built in the last 20 years or so. Seems like things are getting cheaper and cheaper in quality and more plastic is thrown in. If you only knew how much I have paid for my kitchen! I gave my wife my credit card when we buying the house and told her to get whatever she wanted for kitchen appliances... big mistake. :lol: I can laugh now, its all paid for but when I saw the bill, I was like. WTF?!

Anyway, heres my toaster oven... Toaster Oven

Mines all stainless steel and I think I payed about $129 for it at the time. It does everything its supposed to. It costs a lot more too.

• Members

love the old toaster. they are the only ones that last. I've had a long line of bread burning toasters. Last one caught fire on my 14 year old; scared the crap out of him and scorched the underside of the cabinets (strike 2 for him, he's supposed to pull it out). After he recovered from his fright, I let him beat it to death with a sledge hammer. he felt much better and I had a good laugh (and great pic).

I then spent nearly $100 bucks on a GOOD toaster, that consistently makes unburned toast and has lasted several years.

Still won't last as long as the antiques. Planned obsolescence.

Archived