NI Vir2 a bit disappointing so far.

techristian

• Members

I picked up the Native Instruments Vir2 package at the Guitar Centre yesterday. For only $100 , the package includes 20 GIGS of samples with HUNDREDS of drum sets and other sounds. I just couldn't leave it on the shelf.

Anyway, I wanted to play with it a bit on my laptop last night but it CHOKED during SETUP. My laptop is 2X better than the minimum requirements so I'm very disappointed about this. Today I'm going to get off of this lazy chair and try the package out on my 64 bit machine, in my "studio" (where I will be using it anyway). I'm hoping for drums that are more expressive than just plain SAMPLES. I'll be using PINTECH drums triggering and Alesis drum module to MIDI IN on my computer. I'm hoping that MIDI velocity does more than just turn the volume up.

I'll keep you posted.

Dan

• Members

I also have 4 gigs of ram. I have a new problem though. The program now installed completely on the studio desktop, but the NI people say that they won't register it because it is already installed. (even though the *.pdf says that I will be allowed to install it on 2 computers) ????? It was shrink wrapped when I bought it but there were tiny scratches on the media though. I hope that the store clerks didn't play with it first and then re-wrap it.

Dan

BTW Phil...Where are the Sax sounds?

Cool - glad to hear it all got worked out. :cool:

Did you find the saxophones?

The browser is pretty straightforward IMO, but if you installed the library to one location and later moved it to a different location, you'll need to redirect the browser there. Other than that, the directories all make sense, and it should be pretty easy to browse through them to find stuff. The saxes are under the "pop horns and brass" category. And of course, if you've got MIDI files of things you've done in the General MIDI format, there's a GM set inside VI.One too - and there's a set of four saxophones in there as well. But if you're really after horns, and that's a major priority for you, you should check out Metro. :idea::)

For $100 (IIRC, I paid $99), VI.One is a no-brainer IMO. Let me know if you run into any more problems. :wave:

Archived