OMG, My Daughter's Going to Be in the Movies...

Anderton

• Members

Considering I announced her birth on SSS back in 1995, I figured it was time for an update :)

There was a casting call in the papers for a remake of some Swedish horror/vampire movie, and for a lark, my daughter went. She got the standard "Don't call us, we'll call you"...and then they called. I'm taking her for her costume fitting in a couple hours, she'll be an extra in the flick and will be doing shoots for about four days.

She checked out the original movie, and said it made Clockwork Orange look like "kitties and rainbows." But hey, it's a start. Now she's talking about getting an agent :eek:

And she's way ahead of me...I didn't make my movie debut until I was 19 or so. Kids these days...!

• Members

My son was an extra in Seabiscuit and Sideways and a few other smaller films. He was on an "extra" roll and made good money while it lasted. The only way to make decent money is to be fortunate enough to get some speaking lines and get your SAG card. Do you know how many SAG actors/actresses are out of work? Sometimes, if the director changes the script while on the set and he likes the look of an extra, they can be asked to deliver some lines, thus getting their SAG card.

I wish her luck.

• Members

Do you know how many SAG actors/actresses are out of work?

The last stat I heard was that 3 1/2 percent of SAG workers have steady work as actors. And that was a decade ago when times were better and SAG had a contract.

But hey, one step at a time, if indeed that's where she wants to go.

At the very least it should be a fun way to earn a little spending money.

Congrats, Craig. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

That's awesome Craig! :thu: I did a fair bit of extra work in my late teens. It was a good way to make some extra bucks while I was interning at studios and not making much money. I met lots of musicians on movie sets who had the same idea. :lol: Hope your daughter has as much fun as I did!

• Moderators

That's awesome Craig!
:thu:
I did a fair bit of extra work in my late teens. It was a good way to make some extra bucks while I was interning at studios and not making much money. I met lots of musicians on movie sets who had the same idea.
:lol:
Hope your daughter has as much fun as I did!

I was 24 or so and just signed to MCA. There was a movie discussed that might be big. National Lampoon at the time meant Animal House. BIG. So we took the gig after Tommy Tutone turned it down. They needed a band at the High School dance. A "cool", recently signed band supposedly. They knew, we didn't.

It ended up being sans the National Lampoon label eventually. It became a very bad teen comedy called The Joy of Sex. There was a big hoopla pre-production time about buying the rights to The Joy of Cooking/Sex. Like I said, us and our management didn't know any better. Rolling Stone was writing about the phenomenon.

It was horrible.

But... the experience was wonderful. I met everyone from a has been rock star's latest 18 year old toy (saw the proof, sad enough) to the fire on the set; a Canadian magician/juggler/comedian with so much raw talent and gall it was incredible. He was on fire.

Hung out with them all. Hurry up and wait.

It's a great experience but keep an eye out...

• Members

It ended up being sans the National Lampoon label eventually. It became a very bad teen comedy called The Joy of Sex.

You're kidding.

Right?

Dude. I was an extra in that movie!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::facepalm:

And yes, it was just absolutely gawdawful. But fun as hell being there. I made a LOT of friends on that set.

Archived