Anyone here on Google Wave yet?

elsongs

• Members

I watched the video tour.... it sure seems like fun. (I have a TWITTER account, but I never use it. I hate the name itself. Willingly call myself a "twit", which is a euphemism for "twat"?)

Me, I'm real gung-ho about moving into the future; no neo-Luddite moi. Maybe I'm just a media hog that way anyway.

My Mom loathes these new communication systems because of their "everyone can see it" ethos. She doesn't want anyone (except a one-to-one email recipient) to see her thoughts, nor does she want to be forced to interface with people from the past she might be hatin' on. So my FACEBOOK friendlist is filled with every single person I've ever known, including people I knew 40+ years ago.... but my own Mom won't join.

I hope someone will invite me to join WAVE. Why d'ya suppose they're invitation only? Is that to prevent bots, spammers and phony identities from joining in automatically?

I suppose blogs are democratic, allowing everyone to have a platform upon which to sound-off; but the truth is, there are maybe five souls on the planet whose moment-to-moment aper

• Members

I hope someone will invite me to join WAVE. Why d'ya suppose they're invitation only? Is that to prevent bots, spammers and phony identities from joining in automatically?

It's not complete yet. They just wanna invite a small number of people to keep the system useble yet manageable while they fine-tune it. If you remember back in 2004, Gmail was the exact same thing.

• Members

One of the reasons why I inquired about Google Wave was to see if someone would be willing to try out co-writing a song - done entirely via Google Wave. That would be interesting. I'd document the process via YouTube.

What sort of collaboration tools does Google Wave have?

Anything specific to music?

Have you checked out Indaba?

• Members

One of the reasons why I inquired about Google Wave was to see if someone would be willing to try out co-writing a song - done entirely via Google Wave. That would be interesting. I'd document the process via YouTube.

I wasn`t interested until I read that. I just tried signing up, but I have to be "invited". Whatever that means...

• Members

What sort of collaboration tools does Google Wave have?

Anything specific to music?

Have you checked out
?

Semi-real-time rich text editor. Kind of like webchat but more fleshed-out in terms of formatting. Also you can attach files (audio files, for example) within your "Waves."

Google Wave is basically a cross between webchat and email. Eventually it'll have mobile access and videoconferencing ability.

I haven't used it other than to tell my Wave-enabled friends, "Hi!" but I could imagine co-writing lyrics with a collaborator, and the other person can edit the lyrics instantly. Each "Wave" is organized like a frame in a movie, and you can go back and revisit previous "Waves."

• Members

I wasn`t interested until I read that. I just tried signing up, but I have to be "invited". Whatever that means...

A certain number of people who use Google Wave will have the ability to send out a limited number of invites to get new people to start their own accounts. I don't have this ability just yet.

• Members

Lotus Notes

I've never been up close and personal with Lotus Notes but that seems to be the granddaddy workgroup app -- and it seems clear that Wave intends itself to be a sort of combination workgroup/social net site/service.

I've actually been working on a Drupal (it's a highly configurable content management system) customer service/workgroup web app (for use by my own clients and projects), so it's nice to see Google undercutting me there... :D

Anyone want to get in a pool lto see how long Wave will be in beta? I think Google News was in beta for about 7 or 8 years and only took down the Beta within the last year or two. Funny company. I've been excited by a few of their new services or web apps only to find myself frustrated by lack of features or forward movement in some cases. (It seems like it's take a long time for them to get the Google Calendar to its present, quite usable state.)

• Members

However, unlike a lot of companies, when Google removes something from Beta, it really, really seems to be solid. I guess that's worth the wait.

As you probably recall, they launched Gmail in the same way... by invite.

Like I mentioned earlier, I do have Google Wave, and it looks very cool. But I haven't had the time to really delve in. I plan to, though.

Archived