Top 100 Travel Photos - LA Times...3 of my photos were selected!!!!

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Hey everyone!! I figured I'd share this with you...this morning I found out that three of my photos were selected for the Top 100 Travel Photos from LA Times readers for 2009!!! I have had the photos here on my Ken Lee Photography website and my personal Eleven Shadows website for a while, and there are links from my sites to the photos, or you can click on the links below!!

http://www.latimes.com/travel/photos2009/

My three photos selected for the Top 100 Travel Photos on the LA Times website:

My photo of us floating through the Amazon

My photo of monks in Ladakh covering their ears from the clattery sound

My photo of the otherworldly Lamayuru Monastery in Ladakh, of this earth, not of this earth.

• Members

Hey everyone!! I figured I'd share this with you...this morning I found out that three of my photos were selected for the Top 100 Travel Photos from LA Times readers for 2009!!! I have had the photos here on my
Ken Lee Photography
website and my
personal Eleven Shadows website
for a while, and there are links from my sites to the photos, or you can click on the links below!!

http://www.latimes.com/travel/photos2009/

My three photos selected for the Top 100 Travel Photos on the LA Times website:

My photo of us floating through the Amazon

My photo of monks in Ladakh covering their ears from the clattery sound

My photo of the otherworldly Lamayuru Monastery in Ladakh, of this earth, not of this earth.

OK, Ken... I usually cut you a lot of slack but I have to say...

... on this front you cheat...

... I mean, you go to all these amazing looking places...

:D :D :D

Congrats!

• Members

OK, Ken... I usually cut you a lot of slack but I have to say...

... on this front you
cheat

... I mean, you go to all these
amazing looking places...

:D

Congrats!

Well, I do gotta say that it's a lot easier to take photos when you're in these fantastic places!!!!!

T'anks everyone!

• Members

Hey Dean, every single one of these were taken with the D50. I just got the Leica this summer, so I don't have a ton of photos taken with that. Any photo on my website taken before the Brazil trip was taken with the D50, or in some cases, the N70, a film camera....or this ancient Canon that I no longer have if you go back *really* far!!!!

89bryancarlstrom.jpg

This is a photo of Bryan Carlstrom, the engineer for a bunch of stuff including Alice In Chains "Dirt", that I took last weekend when hanging out. No flash, dark room. It does pretty good, I think.

Here's some other photos taken with the Leica. I'm showing you a bunch of these because you know you're interested in the LX3 (more or less the same camera as the Leica DLux 4):

666seaweedlisa.jpg

Crystal Cove, near Laguna Beach, CA, Oct 2009

0717-245tambourine.jpg

Salvador, Brazil, Summer 2009

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/brazil2009/

0717-238guitarist2.jpg

Salvador, Brazil, Summer 2009

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/brazil2009/

017buyepongo.jpg

Buyepongo @ The Echoplex

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/miscellaneous/osmutantes2009

169osmutantes.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/miscellaneous/osmutantes2009/index.htm for more from this concert with Buyepongo and Os Mutantes. I can't remember when this was taken...probably September.

As you can tell, the Leica does *really* well in low light, much better than the D50, which is an older camera, like 4-5 years old, which for D-SLR technology is old. The new D-SLRs do much better in low light than the D50, which is not so good at low light situations. But it's just surprising that the Leica can do this well for a little point-and-shoot.

• Members

Well, you live in a place that a lot of people want to travel to... :D Thanks for the great comments, though, and thank you to everyone else.

Just to keep geeking out on camera equipment for a second, there's this new Nikon, the D3S, that has serious low-light capability.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25466/D3S.html

#

count in a 12.1-megapixel sensor to produce extraordinarily rich files.

#

Low Noise ISO Sensitivity from 200 to 12,800

Renowned low-noise performance at 12,800, plus expanded settings to an astounding
ISO 102,400 (equivalent)
and ISO 100 (equivalent).

So, 12,800 ISO...expandable to 102,400? Are you freakin' kidding me?

My D50 - bear in mind that it's a budget camera that is 4-5 years old now - goes to 1600 ISO. And my little point-and-shoot Leica goes to a grainy 3200 ISO.

Now I realize that the DS3 is over $5000 and I'm comparing it to cheap cameras, but still....

• Moderators

Really great photos. Congrats on such esteemed praise as well. That's got to be very gratifying. I love the Monks in particular. The way you've captured that famous robe color with their facial expressions. Just so captivating and a twist on the more common "monk photos" I've seen.

You've got a good eye for seeing things others miss. Really nice.

• Members

Really great photos. Congrats on such esteemed praise as well. That's got to be very gratifying. I love the Monks in particular. The way you've captured that famous robe color with their facial expressions. Just so captivating and a twist on the more common "monk photos" I've seen.

You've got a good eye for seeing things others miss. Really nice.

Thanks! You might like this monk photo then, Lee! :D

0257fashionpose2.jpg

• Members

He did indeed. I simply asked if I could take his photo. That's what I got!! :D

We had been hanging out talking to them for quite some time, and there was clattery music with ten foot long horns going on for rehearsal for the Hemis Festival...and the hanging out is the key, not that I was doing this specifically for the photos. It was for the sake of hanging out. The monks joke around a lot, and that's something that people frequently don't see, and something I wanted to show -- that they're people too, and not people who do nothing but meditate and study Buddhist texts and dispense wisdom or whatever.

Later, during the Hemis Festival, they did funny stuff like stomp puddles to splash the audience and things like that while performing their dances.