Be Afraid...Be Very, Very Afraid...Attack of the Optical Media Slime Monster!!

Anderton

• Members

So yes, I back up my digital data, but check out the attached image.

I pulled out a blank CD-ROM I bought several years ago...brand new, still in the shrink-wrap packaging...to do a backup, and the attached image is what I saw after I opened the package.

I'm very concerned that it might wake up and attack my family, or infect me with some kind of strange space illness that will rot my brain. I am thinking that maybe I should put it in a locked, lead-lined safe before it multiplies and starts taking over the earth. If I just throw it out, it might form unholy alliances with other sentient garbage, thus ending the world as we know it.

• Moderators

I pulled out a blank CD-ROM I bought several years ago...brand new, still in the shrink-wrap packaging...to do a backup, and the attached image is what I saw after I opened the package..

[lawyer voice]So, Mr. Anderton... since you say you just now opened the shrink wrap, would it be fair to say then that the CD could have looked like that initially? As in flawed at the factory? If so, would that mean that no one should infer anything about the aging of digital media which is the topic of the thread? No need to answer that, sir. Your witness, Mr. public defender...." [/lawyer voice]

Terry D.

• Members

I highly doubt it looked like that initially. I assume it was the humidity when I lived in Florida. But, other CDs from that era that were NOT new don't have the same kind of damage.

Does burning a CD do something that somehow makes it more resistant to humidity, or whatever caused this? :idk:

• Moderators

I highly doubt it looked like that initially. I assume it was the humidity when I lived in Florida. But, other CDs from that era that were NOT new don't have the same kind of damage.

Does burning a CD do something that somehow makes it more resistant to humidity, or whatever caused this?
:idk:

Well, you don't know if it was or if it wasn't. For sure it's a defective CDR.

From the image, it appears that the coating was liquid at one time, the round areas being formed by bubbles popping or collapsing. Two things could do that, heat or moisture getting under the coating and then evaporating.

I think we can safely rule out heat as the plastic substrate of the disk appears to be flat and undamaged. We'd need to look up the melting points of both materials but I think it's safe to say that if the CDR got hot enough it'd be very unlikely it got hot enough to bubble the coating but not hot enough to deform the plastic body.

That leaves liquid. I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that you can leave a CDR in water for a long time and not cause any damage. I'm going to try this with an old, green dye CDR and see what happens. There are certainly solvents that would bubble the coating but probably water wouldn't be sufficient to do this. Additionally, there would be other evidence of water presence on the disk and inside the case.

I still suspect that this is a manufacturing defect that went undiscovered until now. Either that, or you're pranking us. ;)

*edit* a quick scan of the literature on CDR degradation reveals the usual pathways of lost reflectivity due to oxidation of the metal reflective layer, or changes in the dye chemistry due to long term light exposure. Nothing like what you photographed seems to be common enough to be widely reported on the internet, reinforcing the idea that the dye layer was improperly applied during the manufacturing process. Your observation that none of your other CDRs (which presumably were exposed to more or less the same environmental changes) were affected also reinforces this.

Terry D.

• Members

I still suspect that this is a manufacturing defect that went undiscovered until now. Either that, or you're pranking us.
;)

I'm definitely not pranking anyone, that's a real CD-R. I was very surprised, to say the least.

Dan, GREAT links in there on CD-R longevity. Very, very informative!

• Members

Or worse, did you send that CD in to copyright?
:eek:

anthrax.jpg

Terry D.

LOL that is funny.

But perhaps even worse, did you accidentally scratch the disk with your fingernail and thus irrecoverably wipe out chunks of data? :confused:

By the way I think Craig should have Steve McQueen drop that thing from an airplane into the Artic before someone gets hurt.

Archived