Windows Media Player

russrags

• Members

Is anybody having trouble with Windows Media Player, not playing CDs from the computer CD Drive??? Mine plays files on the computer just fine, but won't play a CD. I'm thinking the latest Windows updates might have a conflict, however I just came from another Studio and same thing on that computer???

What's up with that ???

Russ

Nashville

• Members

The oddest problem I've had with my 2 downstairs desk PCs over the last few months is that the optical drives don't want to open. They often go unused for periods of time but that still seems odd. One of them has two drives while the other has just one, all different models. I have to use a paper clip to get them open but then if I continue to use them for a while during the same "session" they'll work just fine.

If it was one drive on one computer I wouldn't think much of it but three drives on two different computers?:confused:

• Members
Is anybody having trouble with Windows Media Player, not playing CDs from the computer CD Drive??? Mine plays files on the computer just fine, but won't play a CD.

Did you check the preferences in options? Sometimes installing another app will change those.

• Members

Yea I don't know what it is, you'd think the CD drive was going bad the way it sounds, but Nero plays the CD from the same drive just fine.

I don't know what Windows Media Player pref's could have changed, I've tried analog and digital, still just kind of cherps away broken bits. And this same thing is happening on another computer???

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Nero plays the CD from the same drive just fine.

There's your clue, coupled with what Alndln2 said. Nero probably took over preferences for CD playing. Mac people have the same kind of issues with iTunes taking over playback of particular formats; even Winamp does it.

Programs like to make themselves King of the Hill - "I will play your CDs, because I am the greatest CD playing program of them all."

• Members

Thanks Craig,

I will uninstall Nero and see what happens, I hate Nero anyway. The only reason I was using Nero, is that Roxio and XP SP3 had issues, now that I've resolved that .. yikes. I hate this kind of stuff, and will NEVER use iTunes.

BTW the other computer I tried using does have iTunes now and it didn't before.

Thanks guys,

Russ

Nashville

• Members

These days you almost always have the option of opting out of letting a new app take over your media default player settings for different formats, but older programs and those of some companies may not stop to ask.

I'm no MS-basher (in fact, I'm kind of an XP-lover), but I really, really hate WMP.

I tend to use Media Player Classic Home Cinema (the latest edition), which is my clear cut fave for video, but also occasionally fall back on VLC. For audio only, I use WinAmp or Foobar. Foobar is worth having if only for the excellent ABX comparator utility (if one is inclined to put his presumptions to the text, anyhow; some folks who talk a lot about their golden ears seem to be oddly reluctant to put them to that test). I like WinAmp because it comes with the cool MilkDrop visualizer, which is, by far, the coolest visualizer (light show, if you will) that I've used.

• Members

Hey Thanks Blue,

Man I'm going to have to check out the Media Player Classic Home Cinema (the latest edition) for watching video, sounds interesting.

I keep all the visuals turned OFF on WMP and just run it bare bones, it doesn't try to take over my life and lets ME be the Boss, that's why I hate most everything else.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Gee, that's kind of what I feel like WMP does do. Maybe I'm missing something.

Worse, as soon as it loads, it seems like it makes a hit on your available RAM that is not entirely recovered when it's closed. And that is a cardinal sin in my book. Unfortunately, while MS programs didn't used to be big memory leakers as a rule (I never ran Office so I don't know about that), I've noticed the distressing tendency of current MS versions to leak pretty bad. IE8 was particularly bad. WMP seems pretty bad, too, though I haven't actually measured lately.

• Members

When I was using XP I used the freeware media player called Real Alternative which looks like the old Media Player from Win 2K/98. It' a barebones app that also plays REAL media files and MP4's plus many others. Here's a link.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived