Picture Software to sort out 10,000 Pics

boosh

• Members

Well, it depends if you want freeware etc. I have used numerous programs for several years but have been unbelievably impressed by Lightroom 3 by Adobe (to me, it is going over to the enemy.) It is fast and can do almost anything I want. At Amazon it is a shade over $200 and worth every penny. Ugggghhh....

• Members

Also, I believe Photoshop Elements organizes photos, and that's under $100. Oh, and that edits photos as well. In fact, I'd say that most photographers could probably get by with Elements instead of the much more expensive Photoshop CS5 just fine.

I recently bought CS5 while it was on sale for 1/2 price ($300 Mac). Will it sort pics too?

• Members

I recently bought CS5 while it was on sale for 1/2 price ($300 Mac). Will it sort pics too?

That's a great deal! Did you get that on eBay or where?

I believe CS4 and CS5 come with something called Bridge, which will sort pics. That said, I've been told that Elements and (I think) Lightroom do it more elegantly.

I also heard that Aperture (Mac) does it well also. And of course, it also does a darn good job at editing.

I don't use any sort of software for organizing my photos, btw. I keep ALL of my photos in one folder, and have a general system that I keep, so I can always find my photos easily.

• Members

Once you have 10,000 photos its a nightmare; nothing is going to help you TOO much.

The lesson is to adopt STRICT folder naming conventions when you bring your photos into the computer and stick to them year-by-year.

Oh, and religiously BACKUP!!!!

(I have digital photos going back to 1997 on year folders subdivided by monthly folders and then down to every subject.... and its backed up on DVD's yearly and 3 different computers weekly)

• Members

That's a great deal! Did you get that on eBay or where?

I believe CS4 and CS5 come with something called Bridge, which will sort pics. That said, I've been told that Elements and (I think) Lightroom do it more elegantly.

The offer came in an e-mail direct from Adobe a month or two ago. I'd registered a couple versions of Elements in the last couple years. I didn't figure I'd ever see a better offer so I jumped on it while I had the chance.

Actually, my 1000's of photos are pretty well organized and backed up but I was just curious. Bridge looks familiar, like it might be a totally separate program in the applications or Adobe folder.

• Members

Bear in mind that I haven't used any cataloguing or software system...but the reviews I've read said that Bridge was pretty good, but they seemed to like Adobe's other methods better (Lightroom and Elements). Aperture also seems to be popular.

I tend to create hierarchical files with a similar system, everything labeled. That way, if I no longer use a particular software system, it's still logically laid out and easy to find. I have photos going back to 1997, many of them scans, so I need to have a good system. And I have considerably more than 10,000 photos!!!!!!

• Members

Also, I believe Photoshop Elements organizes photos, and that's under $100. Oh, and that edits photos as well. In fact, I'd say that most photographers could probably get by with Elements instead of the much more expensive Photoshop CS5 just fine.

In terms of editing, I think Elements will do almost anything the non-professional would want. (Not saying many of us -like me- don't covet upgrades we will never use :) ) Anyway, my understanding (and I also have Elements) is that Lightroom is years ahead of Elements in terms of photo organization and storage etc. There is an organizer in Elements, which I don't bother to use. When I want to do one of the (few) editing tasks you can't do in Lightroom, I open the pic from Lightroom into Elements. So I have not used the organizer in Elements.

There are numerous free editors....Gimp, Picasa etc. An internet search will turn up a bunch. The problem is, I don't think many of them are focused on organizing and cataloging photos. Good luck.

• Members

I got all of my photos , about 11,000 of them scattered around two harddrives. Is there some software which can help me find them and rename them and put them all in nice folders???

UNFORTUNATELY ONLY YOUR EYES.

You might be able to sort some by date and name as long as they aren't all named boosh1.jpg, boosh2.jpg ............................boosh11000.jpg :)

dAN

• Members

Picassa

Picasa is great for handling pix ITB, but the web component completely ices the deal. I pay $20/year for 80 gigs of storage and upload the pix (movies, scanned docs and all) to my Picasaweb site. I still backup to a remote drive every month or so, but more out of habit than anything else.

edit to add that I'm at abt 40 gigs of photos total.

• Members

You might be able to sort some by date and name as long as they aren't all named boosh1.jpg, boosh2.jpg ............................boosh11000.jpg
:)

dAN

And that quite frankly would be better than mine, which come out of the camera named "L_01245" or "DMC_2034" or things like that. There are programs that will allow you to "batch rename" files and things like that, although I don't know any personally, and have never used any.

I keep mine in a a single folder that is named "Photos". Then, within that folder are the individual photo shoots or trips that I take, which are named something meaningful, such as "Joshua Tree Aug 2010 Star Trails" and maybe some other stuff. Then I rename the photos that I am using, not bothering to rename the rest that I am not using. I put the ones in a "Favorites-Joshua Tree Aug 2010 Star Trails" folder within "Joshua Tree...etc. etc.". I'll also have another folder within the "Favorites" folder that is called "FAVS for WEB - Joshua Tree Aug 2010 Star Trails" for smaller-sized photos that have been reduced for the web or for emailing to friends.

Without using software, I can find just about any photo within a matter of seconds. If for some reason I can't, it always comes up on a search instantly because my photos and the folders that house them have all the keywords.

• Members

Well, (sounds like a Lightroom ad) Lightroom will find all of your photos for you (that is the OP, Ken, like me organizes his photos as he shoots them.) If you check the do not import suspected duplicates, it will only make a list of your 10,000 photos. Then use the move to: command to move them to the same folder. Next let Lightroom sort them by date. The naming convention in the program allows you to quick select individual "tags"...so you can make you own tag sets.... then tags can be added with one mouse click. Also, there is batch renaming.....so you could start by naming them 10/3/2005-0001, 10/3/2005-0002 (which LR will do for you based on the data within the photo.) After that you could look at a series of days, say select 10-3 to 10-6 and change the name to Mexico (followed by the file name etc.) Honestly, I don't think 10,000 would be that much work. I just got back from Italy and Ireland and in 3 weeks took about 3,500.....so 10,000 isn't even a year for me (okay, I lied....just checked by 2010 folder and there were only about 8,000 in there..... so far.) When your 10,000 are renamed you could move them to separate folders or organize them into virtual data bases. As I said, I really dislike Adobe and consider them the "enemy" but I have been blown away by the abilities in Lightroom. I think there are trial copies.

• Members

Picasa is great for handling pix ITB, but the web component completely ices the deal. I pay $20/year for 80 gigs of storage and upload the pix (movies, scanned docs and all) to my Picasaweb site. I still backup to a remote drive every month or so, but more out of habit than anything else.

edit to add that I'm at abt 40 gigs of photos total.

I don't know if Picasa will play nice with MediaFire but their free account allows unlimited uploads, downloads and storage with a 200MB per file size limit.

• Members

Picture's names are numbered from DSC00001.JPG to DSC11365.JPG. In different folders on my harddrive.

They are dated too. All I want is to put them in folders and subfolders like. 2005/March/ Tuesday 21

I think I'll just create a huge folders and drag all the pics in there first and than sort them by date.

If that takes to long I'll try something like Lightroom.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Archived