"FBI Anti-Piracy Warning" is getting ridiculous

scud133

• Members

a.k.a. the label, right? it's almost comical how that dominates the disc

Yup, could be the label. It is indeed silly.

My last album is very subtle in that regard... a very small print statement on the sleeve and the disc saying that unauthorized reproduction is violation of all applicable laws. It at least informs people that they're being assholes for pirating my stuff. :D

• Members
Not "pirating." "Stealing" is the appropriate word. At least pirates had to face some kind of danger that people might fight back when raping/pillaging/etc.

One of my old friends, long ago, used to do live concert bootlegs -- you know, sneak into a concert with a portable recorder and then release the recordings on white label, low run pressings, selling through word of mouth, at swap meets, or from underneath tiny record store counters -- before he became a rock journalist. These were crude live recordings that only the most hard core fans would ever want. No attempt was made to make people think otherwise. He never made a lot of money but was sued by one of his biggest idols -- a guy who had at times encouraged bootlegging his concerts -- and ended up going into personal bankruptcy. The judgment would have bought you a small house somewhere -- but the legal and other fees and costs were more than five times the amount of the judgment.

• Members

Are warnings like this even necessary anymore? Doesn't everyone know that unauthorized copying is illegal?

What people don't know is always amazing.

Just look at some of the general knowledge surveys out there. It's stunning.

And then there are the people who believe what they want to believe, despite any and all evidence to the contrary...

People are funny.

• Members

What annoys me is when you get subjected to copyright warnings in several languages for several minutes every time you replay a DVD...that you own, and it doesn't let you skip it to play the content. It annoys legitimate viewers and probably does nothing to deter thieves.

• Members

Are warnings like this even necessary anymore? Doesn't everyone know that unauthorized copying is illegal?

In the strictest sense of the word, they were never "necessary" in the first place.

No, everyone doesn't know unauthorized copying is illegal. Regardless, ignorance of the law isn't a defense in court, anyway.

Granted the size of the warning is amusing. But a big deal it is not.

Archived