Ever Enter A Talent Contest?

Mark L

• Members

No.

Er... I mean, Yes, and, No.

When I was in fourth grade or so, I convinced myself that I had taught myself how to tap dance. I nailed a couple of dime store taps to my shoes (Remember taps? Remember dime stores? No, not medical marijuana dispensaries. :facepalm: ) and signed up for the fourth grade talent show. I can't remember what song I performed to. I thought I was brilliant and finished off with a leap off the stage where I landed in one of those exaggerated down-on-one-knee stage bows with my arms out like Jolson. (Remember Jolson?)

Anyhow, while I was convinced of my brilliance, it didn't seem to wow the teacher-judges, who gave the top prize, IIRC, to a shaky violin soloist. (At least it didn't go to my four friends who formed a really, really out of tune brass choir section. Man, when you have four horns and none of them are in tune with each other, it is something. The air keeps vibrating in weird ways for days.)

• CMS Author

Does a banjo contest count? In 1973-75 I was entering contests and won one first, two seconds, and one third. I quit while I was ahead.

Prizes? One was a ribbon, one was a nice hand-made wooden trophy and an apple pie, one was a plaque and $25, and one was a cheap, crappy looking trophy (that was the first prize).

• Members

Used to do a bunch of them back in the High School days. I remember one they judged the winner by ballot. All my fans were stuffing the ballot box. When they caught on we all started yelling split the money. They eventually gave in and all the players wound up with about $20 each. All the bands were local bands except for the one club band who thought they could get away with snagging the prize. They shouldnt have even been there, it was supposed to be all amatures playing. We fixed their trick though.

There were others back in the 60s when I was like 9 and 12 years old. All I remember is being like a deer in the headlights. Time never moved so fast, it was a complete blur. You could see the dark out there and you knew every eye was on you, and there was no place to hide. Its win or fail. Guess those earley performances are what hooked me for life.

I did one about 5 years ago on a Cruse ship that was a real hoot. They had passangers who played sign up for a show. I had my littel Steinberger with me in case I got board. The stage was in the front of the boat and the sea was rough coming back from Cozimel. I had been drinking Margaritas and was still pretty lit. I did a solo blues with the stage band that was way up in the Balcony so I had this huge stage to myself.

The auditorium was packed, I guess there was at least a few thousand in there. I was the last one on so they pretty much had it figured out who they wanted to end it. It was tough playing because of the waves that actually made me go airborne a few times. Kept playing though. I had the band come in as backup after a few bars.

Felt like I was on a TV show in the 60s or something with the band off stage like that which I hadnt done before. The crowd loved it though and got a great applause. Won first prize and all which consisted of a cheap plastic trophy. It was all fun stuff though.

I did get a video tape of it though which was pretty cool.

• Members

I've been bugged a couple of times lately to enter one. I don't know if it's the American Idol factor, but there seems to be a resurgence of them lately. Non-school talent shows. I always decline. Why? Because no matter what you do or how good you are, there is going to be some small town darling 12 year old girl who's going to do a decent job of singing a country song to karaoke backing tape that's gonna win.

They always do.

• Members

I was going to reply that no, I'd never entered a talent contest, and that a good portion of me was philosophically opposed to all kinds of talent contests, and that I felt that true talent can never be judged in that kind of format, and so on.

But then I remembered that in 1979, during my first school dance in 6th grade, I did win a talent contest of sorts. I had not entered it specifically, but I somehow was honored as being the best dancer at the dance. You should note that it was a school filled with children who had exactly 0% funkiness on the grand scale of funk. Hence, my spastic wiggling in time to the music merited me the grand prize: a copy of the brand-new release by Michael Jackson, Off the Wall.

I felt pretty good about that at the time, and enjoyed the album. You should note, though, that I've managed to remain contest-free in the subsequent 31 years since.

• Members

{censored} all competitions that have to do with artistic ability. The outcome is always political in nature and they're dangerous, especially for young artists starting out in thinking they need some sort of external validation for their talent. That's why I can't stand BOTBs, American Idol and all that {censored}. Art is creation and expression, not competition.

• Members

Yea somehow the term contest makes it a sport vs an art. Most people tend to put things in that perspective though. After all its an american trait to be compettitive either inwardly or openly.

If I can make one generalization about today's young music artists, they are EXCELLENT performers, but their art has zero meaning or depth.

• Members

I was going to reply that no, I'd never entered a talent contest, and that a good portion of me was philosophically opposed to all kinds of talent contests, and that I felt that true talent can never be judged in that kind of format, and so on.

But then I remembered that in 1979, during my first school dance in 6th grade, I did win a talent contest of sorts. I had not entered it specifically, but I somehow was honored as being the best dancer at the dance. You should note that it was a school filled with children who had exactly 0% funkiness on the grand scale of funk. Hence, my spastic wiggling in time to the music merited me the grand prize: a copy of the brand-new release by Michael Jackson,
Off the Wall

I felt pretty good about that at the time, and enjoyed the album. You should note, though, that I've managed to remain contest-free in the subsequent 31 years since.

You won the coveted 'Sir Devoid of Funk' award????? :eek:

Damn, I'm scairt o' you!

• Members

Did you win?

Just for the record, I don`t believe in contests, awards, etc... but when I was a junior in High School, my teacher submitted my name to a singing contest in Harlem on a Sunday afternoon. So after work that day, I took the train straight to Harlem. Now that was in 1990... I get to the location where this contest is, sign in and everyone is sort of looking at me strangely. A woman who was apparently "in charge" approached me, asked me what I was doing there. I told her I had nothing to do with it but my teacher told me to go and that she had entered my name... the woman says fine and that I will be singing last.

So I sat there for about 2 agonizing hours as one African American kid got up there after another. Finally its my turn. I get up, give the pianist my score of the "Ave Maria" and do my thing. I finish up, get a nice applause, walk off stage and wait.

Finally they announce the 3rd, 2nd and first place winners... and lastly, me!

Apparently the contest was only for African American students. :facepalm:

The next I go back to school, my teacher is completely embarrassed as I proceed to tell her what happened. She later found out that I would have won first place but I apparently wasn`t dark enough. True story. Cannot make this stuff up.

So... yeah, I entered a contest and won, sort of.

• Moderators

I don't believe in contests unless I win. So, like I said, I don't believe in them.

cranked. Just me with Ruben on the blue sparkle tubs. We rocked the auditorium and I'm still not sure how we were not signed right then and there.

But... the... chicks... dug... us.

Archived