Bad Uses for Dead or Discarded Tech

techristian

• Members

the funny thing...the CD as a signal mirror thing isn't a joke.

I've done it -- they aren't as effective as a purpose built signal mirror (in the right hands, you can get those things to work over 10s of miles), but for shorter distances attention flashing, you can totally do it

dye sublimation ones aren't really that shiny though

• Members

Haha! The Xbox egg fryer and flat panel tv table were the best. I've actually already used my ipod as a mirror on occasion, haha.

This reminds me of a time when my friend and I were getting an apartment and thought a good use for our dying Akai S1000KB would be a dinner table! I mean, look at the size of this freakin' thing in relation to the keys(!!!):

!BWiEcvQ!mk_$%28KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBK%28

• CMS Author

The base of my coffee table is, I believe, part of a helicopter radio antenna system. At least that's the best I can make of it from the nameplate and what's obviously an antenna coupler that came along with it. It's just the right size to put under an 18 x 48 inch slab of butcher block.

Obligatory audio content: It came along with the surplus lot I won the bid on, for the Ampex AG-445.

• Members

This reminds me of a time when my friend and I were getting an apartment and thought a good use for our dying Akai S1000KB would be a dinner table! I mean, look at the size of this freakin' thing in relation to the keys(!!!):

%21BWiEcvQ%21mk_$%28KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZB

Great looking unit. Too bad for the broken key.

Dan

• Members

!BWiEcvQ!mk_$%28KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBK%28

We used to call the S1000KB "The Flying Wing".

• Members

i actually am really quite fond of my akai S2000. that said, i am SOOOO GLAD i do NOT have that S1000kb pictured above
:D

hahha, seriously! I love the old Akais, though. There's just something about the unique sonic stamp those converters put on everything...the 1000's up to the 3000's (Particularly the 3 S1100s I had). But yes, be VERY glad you didn't have to deal with the space sucking behemoth that is the S1000KB!

• Members

hahha, seriously! I love the old Akais, though. There's just something about the unique sonic stamp those converters put on everything...the 1000's up to the 3000's (Particularly the 3 S1100s I had). But yes, be VERY glad you didn't have to deal with the space sucking behemoth that is the S1000KB!

I still have an S3200, though I don't use it.

The S1000KB was built for one reason: to have the Akai name visible on stage. A lot of artists used Akai equipment, but it was always hidden in racks. Akai needed a presence to compete with Korg, Roland, etc. So, they built the S1000KB....and put the world's smallest logo on it, visible to no one beyond 3 feet.

We used to stick large Akai stickers on them at the warehouse.

• Members

I still have an S3200, though I don't use it.

The S1000KB was built for one reason: to have the Akai name visible on stage. A lot of artists used Akai equipment, but it was always hidden in racks. Akai needed a presence to compete with Korg, Roland, etc. So, they built the S1000KB....and put the world's smallest logo on it, visible to no one beyond 3 feet.

We used to stick large Akai stickers on them at the warehouse.

Wow, I had no idea. That makes sense, though. Funny how it's kinda still that way with pretty much all Akai products functioning behind the scenes. I remember an old analog synth and another keyboard sampler X7000... or something...that only took those really obscure discs. But you never saw either those on stages, either, haha.

So you used to work at Akai?

Archived