what can you do with $500 in 1978?

bp

• Members

Tim Pace made a R2D2 from sat parts and put it on tour with Frampton to take a guitar out during his set. Lucas screwed him with a court order. It was great. R2D2 brought the guitar out to Peter during his set (Frampton Comes Alive Tour).

Tim's R2D2 was featured during the Jon Stewart Mall event yesterday. It ran over Jon's foot!

Tim usd to run lights for Hendrix, the Kinks, Rush and many other folks!

• Members

The Radio Shack TRS-80 computer wasn't in every RS store until 1979. At that time , here in Canada, you couldn't even buy one for $500. It was $800 for that computer back then. IT ONLY HAD AS MUCH MEMORY AS THOSE $10 EPHONE & EADDRESS BOOKS, ....... about 4k .

Dan

• Members

I have an original TRS-80 that my dad bought in '78, hoping to explore the potentials of desktop computing for his business. (He ended up with a POS [er, point of sale, it was actually a pretty nice rig] and inventory tracking system for his irrigation supply outfit [jillions of parts from many manufacturers] that ran on a desk-sized leased mini. ;) )

It cost him about $500 just to get the RAM upgrade from 4K to 16K. I remember finding the receipt for the upgrade c. 1985 or so and thinking, OMG! There's more RAM on a toy wristwatch these days.

• Members

In '79 I bought my Walnut Gibson 'The SG'... still have it...gets almost daily play, it retailed for 500 bucks, I paid $289 new.

In late I979 I bought a new Musicman 210 seventy five new, for less than 500 dollars.

I still have that too. They sound so sweet together...it was my main club rig for almost 10 years.

Archived