Annoying "fart" after-effect when palm muting with distortion

Giorgi

• Members

Hello guys,

I'm trying to record heavy guitar tones using guitar amp sims. I mainly use Guitar Rig 4 but recently I've discovered SimulAnalog Guitar Suite which is an excellent free VST sim. Anyway, on both of these plugins I get a very annoying sound whenever I do palm muting on the bottom 2 strings. I provided some samples to illustrate.

The annoying "fart" type of sound that comes after the initial attack could be linked to string quality plus the fact that I'm using a very low tuning with a standard non-baritone guitar (Drop A#). However, I found that 13-56 gauges work well with this tuning and actually feel a little too tight, so I tried 12-54 which work the best for me. The fart sound persists with both gauges.

However the fart sound dissapears when I palm mute higher than the 5th fret of the 5th string, so I guess it's related to the thickness of the string that's vibrating... or something like that. I'm thinking that the noise is apparent on the heavily distorted sounds because well, distortion amplifies everything, and it has nothing to do with the modeling software I'm using.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/24937546/fartsoundonpalmmuting-withguitarrig4.mp3

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/24937545/fartsoundonpalmmuting.mp3

• Members

What kind of guitar (specifically, what type of wood is the body?) and what kind of pickups and bridge? You might need to back off the volume or put some kind of EQ between your guitar and interface if you're having that sort of reaction to palm muting. Where you pick (in relation to bridge and pickup) as well as your picking and muting angle will also affect how each picked note resonates. On a dual-humbucker guitar, I am most comfortable muting with the edge of my right hand between the bridge and the bridge pickup, and the pick hitting between the two pickups. However, to avoid "farting" on lower notes, I actually brought my hand back to rest right where the strings meet the bridge. Problem solved.

Archived