OT: The best laid plans...

• Members

... often go awry.

I was scheduled for a trip to San Francisco today with my ladyfriend. It was a combination business and pleasure trip; business in that I was going to be at the AES show tomorrow and Sunday, and pleasure in that the lady and I love SF, with all its great culture and food and vibe.

Sigh.

Last night, doing something totally non-extraordinary, I managed to pull or possibly tear a muscle in my back. The pain was unbelievable. I managed to sleep with the help of a {censored}load of ibuprofen, but it awakened me at about 5am. You can actually SEE the muscle poking out of my back, or so my lady tells me. It's causing spasms and numbness in the adjacent arm, and hurts so bad I'm almost nauseous. I was hoping that I'd sleep on it and it would magically be all better today. No go. The very idea of carting around luggage and being on planes and walking a trade show seems like absolute torture, and obviously we'd have no fun out of town while I was in pain.

So, I just had to go through the process of canceling a trip on the very day it was scheduled, something I've never done before. Here's a hats-off to Expedia: they got the entire hotel fee refunded, and nearly 100% of the flight costs credited in vouchers that I can use in the next 12 months. Very impressive.

Anyway, all that is to tell you that a) I won't be at AES, b) I'll be a big whiny crybaby for a few days, and c) I should probably see a doctor of some kind, now that all the business of canceling plans is accomplished. Good times.

As my woman pointed out, looking on the bright side, at least it happened before I left, as opposed to while I was out of town. I'll file that in my "it could have been worse" folder.

• Members

How's the broken tooth?

Way better! It's been partially fixed, and I get the joy of a root canal and crown for it next week.

In all seriousness, I was looking forward to going to AES and seeing some old friends, and being in San Francisco (I love that town). It's disappointing, but having the trip be ruined by being in pain the whole time I was there would have been way worse. The show will go on without me in any case (in fact, it's going on now). :)

• Members

Sorry for the rotten luck. Last year I had a trip to New Orleans cancelled 2 days before I left because of emergency surgery and it ain't pleasant.... like you, the airlines and hotels were very good.... although I needed a Dr.'s note. Hope you feel better!

Way better! It's been partially fixed, and I get the joy of a root canal and crown for it next week.

In all seriousness, I was looking forward to going to AES and seeing some old friends, and being in San Francisco (I love that town). It's disappointing, but having the trip be ruined by being in pain the whole time I was there would have been way worse. The show will go on without me in any case (in fact, it's going on now).
:)

Glad about the tooth.

... see you at NAMM, then :wave:

• Members

Ouch... That hurts just reading about it. I hope that nothing has been knocked out of place in the process of injuring yourself. I pulled something in my back many years ago while moving a subwoofer. I have had recurring bouts of sciatica ever since. Good luck with the recovery.

• Members

There's nothing fun about it. But it's also not the end of the world; just nothing you want to have happen when you''re going to be lugging suitcases and walking through trade show aisles all weekend.

I'm going to see my chiro/sports med/massage therapy people tomorrow. If I go to my GP, he's just going to prescribe drugs that I don't want to take.

• Members

I once tore a rotater cuff muscle (baseball-type injury) in the shoulder reaching to close the shower curtain. And I played baseball and softball for many, many years without an arm injury...once totally threw my back out while slightly bending over the sink brushing my teeth - kept me bed-ridden for a week.

• Members

wow, bummer Zak, sounds like you've been 'snake-bitten' lately.

Kudos to Expedia...2 years ago (Nov.1st) my wife's brother passed away suddenly, we had a trip to Maui planned for the 5th of November, we had to cancel and Expedia refunded everything, they even had the decency not to request a copy of my brother-in-laws Obit.

Hope your luck changes soon.

• CMS Author

Sorry for your aches and pains and that I'll miss you again. Not much space for the show this year, but then everyone's booth seems to be smaller than usual. Good bunch of exhibitors, though more of them are being selective about which shows they do. Can't afford to do them all any more.

• Members

I once tore a rotater cuff muscle (baseball-type injury) in the shoulder reaching to close the shower curtain.

My current back woes were caused by my reaching down for a bottle of water while holding a bag of Chinese take-out. I felt this little pop under my shoulder blade, and when I stood up again... {censored}ing agony.

And it's been that way ever since. I'm moving like an 81-year-old man, which would be fine except it's 40 years early.

Archived