My 2010 AES Show Report

MikeRivers

• Members

Very well done. Thanks.

Noticeable to me this year was the absence of many manufacturers of lower end/semi-pro gear. Companies like Cakewalk, Alesis, Roland, etc were not there and the smaller, boutique companies were more prominent. Also, as Mike reported, there was very little sound reinforcement equipment shown.

• CMS Author

Noticeable to me this year was the absence of many manufacturers of lower end/semi-pro gear. Companies like Cakewalk, Alesis, Roland, etc were not there

True. Roland is usually there, but their "pro" products are for live sound these days, so I guess they went the way of Yamaha, QSC, Midas, and such. AES this year was definitely a show for the serious user or at least serious tire kicker, and I think that's a good thing in general. However, I suspect that NAMM will be hosting more of what the "recording masses" attend AES for, and they won't be able to get in to that show so easily.

I'm not quite sure what it means, but I've read something about NAMM being more liberal with one-day visitor passes for Sunday. Maybe this is a precursor to an open day for the main Winter show like they had in Nashville last Summer.

Archived