oh where, oh where has Java gone?

techristian

• Members

Well, I'm getting a rude awakening. I don't think I'll be able to upload that 700+ meg HD video file to YOUTUBE because Java no longer works! I have tried 2 operating systems and 3 different computers and all of them don't allow java plugins anymore. The only way to upload such a long file is to use a Java console of some sort, because you need a way to RESTART when a disconnect happens.

Is anyone else having similar problems with uploading HD to youtube? I downloaded a java plugin for Firefox but after installing it I was told "The Java console is no longer supported. Will uninstall after restarting."

Did Oracle mess up things or what ????

I also heard that they pulled the plug on Open Solaris as well...and are suing Google for Android !

Is there an FTP site for youtube ???

Dan

update... I have been just told by a Facebook friend that a virus is spreading with Java. That is why it is disabled.

• Members

Update.

I have Java working now but YOUTUBE still thinks that I don't have Java enabled, even though I can see other applets working with the browserS on 3 different OSs. I'm running Linux and XP and my wife is on Windows 7.

Anyone know of an FTP site for YOUTUBE uploads?

YEP. THE JAVA IS BROKEN AT YOUTUBEs END. THEY SAY IT WILL BE FIXED IN A FEW DAYS.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=082ace666a4f9c5a&hl=en

I better stop sweating it and just wait for them to fix it.

Dan

• Members

I suspect it's your particular connection path to YT that's giving you problems -- but I haven't uploaded anything large in a couple weeks. Most of my vids end up being in the 300MB to 1.5 GB range -- because I've been using the woefully huge unconstrained mp4 format that YT says is optimal (mind you, I don't see any diff on my end but I get tired of them dumbing down the audio if you use a compressed video format [!] so I do what I have to do -- and even then it's iffy at times -- I didn't seem to have these problems with the wmv format they seem to want to discourage -- and it looked as good or better with smaller filesizes -- so I may experiment with switching back. But I gotta tell you, I hate having to continually readjust my practice trying to hit the moving target of what YT says they want to see. Make up your friggin' minds, Google! )

Happily, I haven't had the heartbreak of a broken connection in a big YT upload in a while. (That said, my cable co finally stepped up and upgraded our upstream to -- usually -- ~1 Gbps so there's less of a window for things to go wrong. I can only imagine what this would have been like on my really crappy old Verizon DSL connection I had at the start of the decade. Look at that sideways and it would fail. Ditto the AT&T DSL my mom uses. It really sucks.)

• Members

Thanks for the reply BLUE. The java upload applet is partially working now, but it won't RESUME if my ISP or router drops the connection,....and that is the main reason for using the java upload tool with those LARGE files. Hopefully, by the time you are ready to upload that next 2 gig video, this will all be fixed, but if it isn't.........................wmv still works !

Dan

Archived