Abridging a song for performance necessity

• Members

I was kicking back for a moment this weekend (a rare occurrence), and noodling around on one of my acoustics. I found myself playing the beginning of "Thick as a Brick" by that immortal band of progressive weirdos, Jethro Tull. Cool song, and I'd like to try it live for an audience, but a) it's an album-length track that lasts about 45 minutes, and b) I play solo acoustic shows. The song, of course, entails a dense arrangement that includes a full rock band plus strings, xylophone, and (obviously) flute.

I'm not worried about that second part, but I'm not playing any damn song for 45 minutes. So, I'm going to try and put together a more manageable 5-minute-or-so version, probably including the recognizable beginning parts, then skipping all the deeper stuff until the very end.

I hate ripping the guts out of a larger musical piece like that... I can't stand those old "radio edits" where suddenly "Do You Feel Like I Do" gets cut back by 12 minutes. But still, that shouldn't preclude me from giving it a shot, right? Would it be better to try the short version, or to blow it off entirely? I think some of my more prog-oriented fans (and yes, there are some) would enjoy the attempt, even with the mini-me version.

Thoughts?

• Members

I could never make it through that song as a listener, but I didn't do drugs or alcohol like hardcore Jethro Tull fans. :lol: I think it depends on what your fans are or aren't smoking whether they notice or not. IMO the original version is the thing that's wrong, sort of like a book that's not been edited and condensed yet for readability. Take a look at the shorter live versions on youtube or something and go for it!

On the other hand I found most Jethro Tull stuff depressing as hell, so skip it and do Beatles, "I feel fine" instead. And he was a riot on The Beverly Hillbillies. Hard to believe it

• Moderators

Yeah. Don't be a p*ssy. Play the whole thing. Then follow it up with "Alice's Restaurant".

There. I have spoken, and you will listen.

:D

Literally... my first thought was, "don't be a {censored}!" :) But for a different reason. Don't play the recording, play the song. Any way you see fit. Make it your own. Grab the bit you dig that serves your purpose and Ian Anderson will be the happier for it. So will your prog friends. Or at least your music fan friends. Or at least you will... :)

• Members

Tull has played a number of differently abridged versions over the years and some of them are available on albums. I haven't yet found the version that would work best for me personally; I think I'll have to roll my own. Most of Tull's versions leave out some of my favorite parts on side 2. Oddly, I've never owned a copy of the album, which would be very helpful for putting it together!

• Members

Literally... my first thought was, "don't be a {censored}!"
:)
But for a different reason. Don't play the recording, play the
song
. Any way you see fit. Make it your own. Grab the bit you dig that serves your purpose and Ian Anderson will be the happier for it. So will your prog friends. Or at least your music fan friends. Or at least you will...
:)

Oh, you were actually serious and answered the question. Hmmmm...that seems a good strategy to employ for future threads. :D

Yes. Make it your own. If you're performing it, then you can play the song how you would play it if you wrote it. If you would have shortened it, modified it, played it with a different rhythm, changed up some things, then try that out on a cover song and see how you like it. The bands I've played in, we've usually given it our own flavor and shortened songs if necessary to make it sound our own. No sense in playing it like the original band...it's already been done.

• Members

No sense in playing it like the original band...it's already been done.

For the most part, I agree and abide by this. Often, it's not by choice, exactly: as I said, I'm one guy with an acoustic guitar, a harmonica, and a voice. By definition, I need to do "my own version" of any song that has more fleshed out instrumentation than this. I do it several times a week for the past 4-1/2 years, so I'm pretty comfortable with that part. :D

The only question with Tull's "TAAB" is what to eliminate, what to briefly reference, and what to play in full. I've got some ideas; probably try it out at a show next week sometime. :)

• Members

BTW, it's very fun being a guy who, in one show, will cover the Carpenters, Van Morrison, Van Halen, Tull, and Nick Drake (while still doing my own eclectic tunes). Variety is the spice of life, and for the most part, you'd be surprised at how easily my audience hangs with me through these careening genre changes. :thu:

• Members

Yeah. Don't be a p*ssy. Play the whole thing. Then follow it up with "Alice's Restaurant".

There. I have spoken, and you will listen.

:D

A good show closer to follow it up would be Jaime Brockett's 'Sinking of the US Titanic' :)

Archived