OMFG, I am SO psyched to see this upcoming film: THE WRECKING CREW.

• Moderators

I've been waiting and waiting. I'm ready... I heard the reports when it first played in LA and NY. Then I guess there were issues with mass distribution and DVD. So, I'm still waiting.

What's up with Kaye? She doesn't dig it? I hear she can be cantancerous...

• Members

I saw it three years or so ago ... It's a great documentary. Don't ask Carole Kaye about it.

Yes, great movie. Not perfect, but a story that needs to be told. Carole (follow her on Facebook if you want her views) probably thinks it's not an accurate portrayal of the time.

• Members

I think the biggest take-home message of this film was just..... hard work. You really get the impression that these men and women just really worked very hard, every day, for many hours. It's like, "throw enough mud at the wall and some is sure to stick".

There are so many stories about creative people in the 1950's and 60's who lived in NYC, SFCA and LA. But those were the days that a creative person could live in those cities very, very cheaply... setting them free to hone their craft.

• CMS Author

opinions on it are pretty well-known.

You're a bit more inside than most of us here, and obviously he opinions aren't all that well known. What's to know? I don't do Facebook. Can you summarize?

I have the book by Hal Blaine/Dave Goggin (Mr. Bonzai) - darn, it's more than 20 years old now! She's mentioned several times there but just in context of playing on this or that session. Does the movie tell a different story? In the book, Blaine says he often thought Kaye was the woman he should have married.

• Members

IIRC, the beef had something to do with work she did for Motown after Motown moved from Detroit to LA.

As the story goes, there are two or three Motown classics in which nobody is quite sure to this day whether the bassist playing is Carol Kaye or the Motown wiz, James Jamerson.

Offhand, I'm remembering "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5, and "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" by The Four Tops.

Can anyone elaborate?

• Members

Been a Carol Kaye fan for years and amazed at her talent. I guess her solo CD's have been stolen for sale on the net. I called her a few years back looking for a CD to give to a brother for Christmas. I called because I didn't want to support the theif. She actually responded to the call. I asked her to sign a CD to my brother and she did so (actually did two since she signed one over to me also). She has several songs that she supposedly played on but didn't get credit. The claim is that she has union papers with her name on it for the session, but the label credited someone else. I'd believe her.

• Members

The claim is that she has union papers with her name on it for the session, but the label credited someone else. I'd believe her.

The movie really drives home the fact that these session players were sitting on the epicenter of the pop music (and pop culture) business... They were being called upon to play every day, all day, for several years in there. It would be surprising if there were no clerical errors made.

It's fascinating to consider that these musicians had the RIGHT background, the RIGHT talent, the RIGHT influences, the RIGHT style... in the RIGHT place at the RIGHT time in history, with the RIGHT distribution, the RIGHT marketing. I've never had all those "rights" occurring in my own career at the same time, LOL.

• Members

Can't wait to see it. Anyone know what song they are talking about in this clip where Tommy Tedesco does the 'flying Telecaster?'

I can't view the video at the moment (iOS device, sigh), but I recall a story in his book "For Guitar Players Only: Short Cuts in Technique, Sight Reading and Studio Playing" about one of the Monkees producing a session where they told Mr. Tedesco to play crazy at the end of the song. Was that the same story?

Anyway, that book reminds me a lot of the old Clos

• Members

Hard work for sure.....and more blow! Although I am sure they don't talk about that.

I am really good friends with TT's favorite nephew.......does that count?

Good looking film, I will look out for it.

Was blow (cocaine insufflated nasally) done in the mid-60's? I thought it was more of a 70's thing.

• Members

Hard work for sure.....and more blow! Although I am sure they don't talk about that.

It would explain Carole Kaye's opposition to the film, if they did. She's been quite adamant in interviews that the only drug they ever consumed was coffee.

• Members

It would explain Carole Kaye's opposition to the film, if they did. She's been quite adamant in interviews that the only drug they ever consumed was coffee.

I'd believe it. My friend Ellie Greenwich also said she did not belong to the drug scene and had no love or especial admiration for it. Those Wrecking Crew arrangements, many of them, were too sophisticated to be messed up or played "loosely" by musicians.

Archived