Mac pro, wont boot up, any ideas??

chrisgil

• Members

Mac pro 8 core - osx 10.6.something (the latest snow leapord)

SSD drive.

16gb ram.

recently loaded pro tools onto it to edit a project im doing.

the other day i went to turn the computer on and it shut down when it got to the grey screen.

after days of trying a couple of different things.

the furthest I can get is holding down the power button, holding down the eject button and inserting the latest firmware on a disk.

it has a progress bar pop up twice then the loading sign comes up, then as the disk sounds like its about to load it shuts down.

Also tried the OSX disk to get to disk utility.

it says unable to repair disk in red, and that I need to back up everything.

Any help to get my system up and running, if only for a couple of days would be great.

I need to do some work before wednesday when Im back in the studio.

theres also work Ive done which I really dont want to lose.

I dont have time machine setup (YET)

• Members

Do you have an external bootable backup drive (made with Carbon Copy Cloner, for example) you can boot from? If you can boot from the external drive, then it's likely that the SSD drive is corrupted. You should also be able to boot from the OSX OS disk as an alternative to an external drive.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, Time Machine doesn't make a bootable backup like Carbon Copy Cloner does.

• Members

I have backed up other files, but dont have main drive/osx backed up.

Had read somewhere else that I can boot from the cd without losing any of the other programs on the hardrive etc??

is this true??

I intent on getting the problem sorted, but if theres a way I can work at least until wednesday that would help me out no end.

• Members

You should be able to boot from the cd without wiping your internal drive. Insert your OSX startup disk in the DVD drive and restart while holding down the "c" key. The computer will look for any available startup DVD in the drive to boot from.

• Members

Yes, boot from the startup CD/DVD. It won't wipe the internal drive unless you actually select to do a complete reinstall of OSX.

Remember, if it boots from the startup DVD, your SSD internal drive is probably corrupted anyway, and will require a reinstall of OSX.

• Members

If the problem persists, check your RAM. I realize that's what I always suggest when anything's wrong with a Mac, but that's because when I've had Mac problems, almost all of them traced back to a RAM issue. A bad RAM stick would certainly interfere with the boot process.

• Members

Google:

memtest Mac free

You'll find the free memtest program as well as useful articles on how to test memory. There are a couple different approaches you can take, as you need RAM in order to test RAM :) The more basic the test (I do it from the command line interface) the more accurate the results.

• Members

If I do have any problems, How would I check the RAM?

One thing to check that's easy: Open the side panel. With the power on (don't touch anything inside the computer) look at the riser cards where the RAM is installed. There are fault LEDs on the cards - if you have a bad stick of memory you should see a red light next to it. If so, power down the machine, carefully remove the bad stick, then try to boot up again.

Archived