KB Gunn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:wave:

touche....

:lol:

Truth be told, I can't stand listening to Rap or Death Metal, so I would not enjoy recording it. Because I make 6 figures as an eye doctor, I can afford to be selective of what and who I record. IOW, I won't quit my day job for this. :lol:

• Members

" IOW, I won't quit my day job for this."

Yah, you prolly shouldn't.

If your recordings are as good as your websites....

...maybe stick to the doctor thing and let making websites and recordings to the folks who do it for a living.

Do you have a problem with someone who is multi-talented? Maybe you are rude because of jealousy. I am sixty years old and have been professionally recording for 35 years. Have you engineered recordings that are international releases? Have you ever had the Concert Master of the NY Philharmonic declare on NPR that a recording you engineered is the best recording of a string quartet he has ever heard? Are you a voting member of NARAS? I had a 24 track studio in Vermont with a Yamaha C7Fll concert grand piano. I was in private practice and also had a pro studio for years. Perhaps it is hard for you to do more than one thing well. I have no difficulty with doing so.

I also have no problem with producing a very nice website for free rather than paying you who makes "a living" doing what I can achieve for free. I was not posting this about the quality of this generic website, but about the concept of studio mobility. I thought there might be someone out there who would be interested in tracking musicians on location without the huge overhead of Big Mo. Then taking the raw tracks back to the studio for mixing and production.

• Members

"I also have no problem with producing a very nice website for free rather than paying you who makes "a living" doing what I can achieve for free. "

I'm just saying that if this is your idea of a "very nice website" then I would question what your idea of a very nice recording sounds like. Look-- that website looks cheap. It is cheap. It makes you look like any kid with a cheap set of tools. And you asked what I think. That is what I think as a person that makes their entire living between music and web development.

My point is that most people with an ounce of sense "have no problem with producing a very nice [audio recording] for free rather than paying you who makes "a living" doing what [they] can achieve for free." So who cares about your credentials if everyone can do what you do for free?

If you can't see the conflict there, maybe there is some mental lasik out there for you, but I can't help ya.

"I was not posting this about the quality of this generic website, but about the concept of studio mobility."

No, you specifically asked about your website and what we thought. If you don't like criticism, don't put up a page of poorly taken photographs of consumer-grade audio equipment and call it a mobile recording studio. Or, rather, if you are trying to drum up some business, then don't create crappy marketing materials and act like a huffy debutante when people point that out.

• Members

I was more refering to the three diametrically opposed words professional, recording and music on KB Gunn website.

He may was a good eye doctor, who knows.

He may was a good eye doctor? I take it English is not your first language? Music on the KB Gunn website sells very well thank you, here and outside the US. I shipped a CD to Canada 3 days ago. I must say that dealing with customs is a bother.

• Members

He may was a good eye doctor?

I take it English is not your first language?

Music on the KB Gunn website sells very well thank you, here and outside the US.

I shipped a CD to Canada 3 days ago. I must say that dealing with customs is a bother.

My first languange is music.

I sell classical music for 750.000

• Members

can achieve for free." So who cares about your credentials if everyone can do what you do for free?

If you can't see the conflict there, maybe there is some mental lasik out there for you, but I can't help ya.

"I was not posting this about the quality of this generic website, but about the concept of studio mobility."

No, you specifically asked about your website and what we thought. If you don't like criticism, don't put up a page of poorly taken photographs of consumer-grade audio equipment and call it a mobile recording studio. Or, rather, if you are trying to drum up some business, then don't create crappy marketing materials and act like a huffy debutante when people point that out.

You are correct. My wording was poor. I should not have asked about the website. For that I stand corrected. You are right saying that the website is cheap. It is cheap. It was free. I really meant to point out the mobile feature of my endeavor. Portability of studio equipment is making it possible to have this model of recording professionally. It is the equivalent of a doctor making house calls. People like being able to record on their own pianos. They may be comfortable in their own church sanctuaries. I am offering a service to Churches, Marine and Navy active duty personel to record with better results than Garage Band. I can afford to charge $25 an hour and $10 an hour to mix because of my other profession. In some cases I do it for free. I would not be able to do so if I only had a studio for my income. I consider the service I provide to be giving back to help these fine members of the armed forces. I also have a lot of fun doing it. I am not threatening anyone else in my location because there are no studios here that I know of. I have 3 sessions in upcoming weekends and have to turn away others due to lack of time. I have no trouble drumming up business.

I really don't think I am the one being huffy. I have not thought that Presonus and Aphex equipment is consumer grade. I have Neumann, AKG and Dallas Taylor Sound Room mods of Oktava mics, among others. I have an ACS Attack Wall. If that is not professional, then maybe I have been deceived by my friend Bruce in Ocala, FL.

Music appreciation is very subjective. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everybody dislikes it. Besides, I doubt that you would be fond of the subject material of my music anyway, considering the avatar that you display. BTW, debutantes are 16, I am 60. I am done arguing with Einstein and and the scarecrow (hey, that would be a good name for a band) they could do a cover of "If I only had a brain"..... :idea::love:

• Members

What about soldiers attached to Marine units who are generally amphibious though not technically jarheads?

The audio interface determines the audio quality, and Garage band uses the same sound engine as Logic. How is your system better than Garage band with a good interface?

Good points. Of course, I would offer the same to all members of the armed forces. Here at Camp Lejeune, it is mostly Navy and Marines. I have yet to encounter Army, Air Force or Coast Guard personel who desire to record.

I stopped using Logic myself when I found out how elegantly S1 Pro functioned. As a matter of personal preference, once I switched, I discovered that the output of S1 compared to Logic is sonically superior. If I am not mistaken, it is a whole new algorithm designed by German developers. I have always preferred Logic to PT, so by inference, one could say I prefer it to PT as well. Just MHO. I believe one can get a trial version of the program from Presonus to decide for one's self.

• Members

It is the equivalent of a doctor making house calls. People like being able to record on their own pianos. They may be comfortable in their own church sanctuaries. I am offering a service to Churches, Marine and Navy active duty personel to record with better results than Garage Band. I can afford to charge $25 an hour and $10 an hour to mix because of my other profession.

Maybe you should consider writing something like this on your website...including the angle about it being akin to a doctor making house calls!! What makes people remember your site? The above would, more than what you've written above. Maybe this is what should go on the Home Page, and then you can move what you have now to an "About Page".

I have not thought that Presonus and Aphex equipment is consumer grade.

I don't know about Aphex, but Presonus is considered "prosumer". And this isn't a putdown of Presonus. I have their Firestudio, although I use it primarily as an interface (I sometimes refer to it as the "thalamus of my studio") and use other converters, and it's a nice piece of gear and sounds excellent for its price point. The other stuff you mention sounds like it is not "consumer".

• Members

Is it just me or is the ratio of cool people to dicks going in the wrong direction lately?

I hate to say this, but a lot of people, including me, have noticed this. There's a number of people who have stopped posting here because the signal to noise ratio is too high.

I've been on SSS since 1995, and this is the longest and worst bout I've seen in the dick/cool people ratio.

Cool website, cool business idea. And I love this:

Please note: We do not record Hip Hop/Rap music or "Death Metal"

I like the whole website in general, which is partially why I tried to be helpful above...but then again, where am I going to record my hip-hop/death metal ensemble with righteous rhymes? :D

Archived