Favorite EQ Plug-Ins: 2011

Geoff Grace

• Members

Massenberg MDW EQs, RBass, Vibe EQ (sort of a Pultec kind of EQ), and Waves Renaissance EQs.

Massey stuff in general, including L2007 Limiter for mastering.

Vocals: Waves Vocal Rider, Vibe EQ for giving it some air, MDW for air sometimes, RCompressor (Waves Renaissance).

Delays: I've either been using the Massey delay or the AIR Delays that come with Pro Tools, which sound quite good. But I also patch in my Pigtronix Echolution pedal. Okay, that's not a plugin. Sue me. :D

I love the Massey TapeHead tape saturation plugin. It's not subtle, but for bass, guitars, sometimes vocals...just depends, it really can sound fantastic.

• Members

I have allot of EQ plugins but I mainly just use Sonars sonitus EQ. Its intergrated with the Channel strip and seems to do as good as any other EQ.

My goal is to get what I need tracking and I usually do so other than some bass rolloff on some tracks, I dont need to use it much.

• Members

I use my Massey stuff a lot, pity the VT3 EQ isn't parametric.

Waves RComp and REQ get a look in too tho I wish I'd spent that money on something else tbh.

O and can't forget the Digi EQIII, that's very good, considering it comes free with ProTools.

• Moderators

REQ - Sounds great for boosting

DigiIII - Good for surgical cuts, no vibe but does its job well

HarBal - For mastering. Love the constant volume through any eq move, phase linear

Waves Linear Phase EQ - I like eq better than HarBals's and I like to make larger moves with this one using HarBal's awesome freq. analysis to assist.

*I'm very interested in Waves new H-EQ Hybrid. It's looks to combine most of everything I love above ^ in one eq.

• Members

UAD Harrison, Massive Passive, Neve emulations.

Want! Are these really amazing?

Not really EQ, but very cool - Steven Slate VCC, very fresh and smart approach.

The idea of this intrigues me. Do you use this in addition or instead of the UAD Harrison, etc.? How does that sound? Do you find that you end up using the VCC all the time?

• Members

Comps on individual tracks...

H-Comp (gets used a lot, incredible compressor!)

Renaissance... love it on almost everything!

CLA1176 (love this on vocals for that in your face sound, also shines nicely on acoustics)

CLA LA2A (like butter on bass)

EQ

Renaissance and the MOTUs latest, otherwise I`m not a big fan of EQ, I usually EQ at the source

Reverb/Effects

The only reverb I`ve been happy with is the MOTU Proverb. I have several Waves plugs but they just don`t do it for me. I`m very finicky when it comes to reverb...

H-Delay... very easy to tweak, sounds amazing

Stereo Buss

Waves L1

C4... absolutely love this monster... its not easy to learn but once you do, ahhh...

• Members

The idea of this intrigues me. Do you use this in addition or instead of the UAD Harrison, etc.? How does that sound? Do you find that you end up using the VCC all the time?

I use some very nice OTB hardware so I can compare it with plug-ins. I didn

• Members

Virtually all of my EQ boosting is done in the analog world but, but Digi's EQ3 gets a fair amount of use for cutting. Recently played with the Massenburg EQ plug, and I pretty tempted to pick that up.

What do you prefer for hardware EQs?

I really like the Massenberg EQ (MDW). Nice and clean. I use this a lot.

I probably should use the Digi EQ3 more since everyone keeps thinking it's pretty good.

• Members

I use Acuma Labs Eq quite alot and their other plugins. The reverb unit is very nice and the "Final Mix" plugin is fantastic. I use Tracktion which is now a Mackie product and they ported over the D8B line of plugins to be used with Tracktion. Unfortunately they are Tracktion only plug-ins.

• Members

What are your go to EQ plug-ins? Do you favor one product for boosting and another for subtracting? What are your favorite plug-ins for mixing, mastering, vocals, drums, etc.?

Best,

Geoff

For vocals I like the McDsp Filterbank F6. For drums it's usually the Waves SSL. For guitars it's waves SSL or API, Bass is usually Waves VEQ4 or Waves SSL. Buss EQ is either the Waves VEQ3, PSP NobleQ, or Softube PE1C. For Mastering its the Brainworx Digital V2 (m/s stuff), The Massenburg MDW, and the Fab Filter Pro Q. I recently used the Waves Helios EQ on a mastering session and that was really nice too.

• Members

I have the older waves EQ's but use them mostly for mastering. The CPU consumption is quite high and I'd use

up most of my resources running them on multiple tracks.

Voxengo has several EQ plugins. They are inexpensive and have some decent features built in.

If you havent tried them you can download their trial versions. they beep every minuite or so but are good enough

for evaluating. i have several of their plugins and they tend to be quite warm and tubey sounding. Good quality and

low CPU consumption.

Archived