RIP, Dennis Ritchie, father of C programming language, co-creator of Unix

blue2blue

• Members

From ZDNet...

Dennis Ritchie, creator of the C programming language and co-creator of the Unix operating system, has died aged 70.

While the introduction of Intel's 4004 microprocessor in 1971 is widely regarded as a key moment in modern computing, the contemporaneous birth of the C programming language is less well known. Yet the creation of C has as much claim, if not more, to be the true seminal moment of IT as we know it; it sits at the heart of programming

• Members

:(
Unix is my bread and butter.

I can't imagine how smart the inventors of this stuff must have been.

C>

Not that smart.

Dennis Ritchie stole everything from Android, which did everything Unix could do, only 2 years before Unix was even invented!

• Members

C was revolutionary in its adoption and longevity. It's still a pain in the ass and there are aspects of it the K&R should have been drawn and quartered for because it really isn't a "safe" language. By the same token of it having freedom with memory access and pointers that makes it good for raw h/w access, it also introduces a lot of room for coding errors (though I shouldn't complain, I make my living from people writing buggy and inefficient code).

Archived