Glass Beach - 150 miles north of San Francisco

A. Einstein

• Members

I'd love to visit. When I was a kid, there were a lot more beads of polished glass kicking around southern California beaches and sometimes you'd get little concentrations of them in backwaters and tidal pools.

Of course, there was also a lot more broken glass, too, as well as other hazards. I cut my feet plenty of times. (Worst was on one of those corrugated metal snail spikes people used to put in their gardens that had some sort of snail poison built in. Years before I'd been running across a friend's backyard and really took a slice into my foot. This wasn't as bad, but it ended up getting a bit infected, puffy and red. If I'd known then what I know now about the risks, I would have been a lot more concerned. But in those days, I thought I was invulnerable.)

I'm hugely glad the US finally woke up during the 60s and 70s to the fact you can't keep dropping your trash wherever you are. (Thank you, Ladybird Johnson.)

In the 70s and early 80s I spent a lot of time in the north half of Baja California and it always broke my heart to see the incredible beauty of the Mexican coastline so often marred by trash strewn everywhere people traveled.

Archived