Found a Useful, Free Phase/Correlation Meter VST Plug-In

Anderton

• Members

I'm doing a video on stereo widening techniques, and needed a phase meter (Goniometer) plug-in to give visual confirmation of what people will hear with their ears. I found Gonio 3, and it works really well...even though it's 32-bit, it works fine with 64-bit Sonar's BitBridge. If you need something like this, well, here it is :)

• Members

I use a quite old C_SuperStereo plugin occasionally for that stuff.

Its hard to find now but its a free plugin that has the phase meter and the stereo widening/narrowing

controls built in so you dont have to run multiple plugins. It also works as a vocal eliminator/boosterand can narrow bass only if you want

which is nice for tightening up the center of a mix.

Heres a screen Shot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339723[/ATTACH]

Heres a download link for the DLL

http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?addComment=1&daPlug=1757

• Members

I know one mixer who has a need for a phase scop, he delivered me a mix which was full mono for two speakers.

I however still shoot a stereogram, or anaglyph image of the speakers, and then test the vintage stereophonic width and depth with a Stereoscop:

holmes350.jpg

168ce63b-bebe-44aa-ab2c-79049dadc85f.gif

• Members

Nice phase meter. I also found this
set on the site. Pretty basic, but useful.

I was going to try the one WRGKMC suggested, but was scared off by comments that it would crash Reaper...

I dont know. I've had it on several different computers with many different DAW programs and necer had a problem.

Its just a VST DLL like any other. If it had and install package and left behind some install garbage then I could see it

leaving a trojen or virus, but I reinstalled it on my main unit again today with no issues.

It is a mastering plugin though, designed to be run on the mains, not on tracks.

It would be useless on individual mono tracks.

Maybe thats where some had a problem running a stereo plugin on a mono track.

I dont run reaper myself so all I know is here-say. The effects get imbeded in tracks

or something odd like that. The plugin is old and maybe it isnt up to running that way.

• CMS Author

Just a question. After you have played with the phase, do you then need to MIX TO MONO, just to check for serious cancellation ?

Actually, you check your mix in mono first. If nothing important goes away, then don't worry about phase. Unless you're going to be cutting lacquer.

The time when a phase meter is handy is when you're setting up a live session. It can tell you if you've done something wrong before you have to try to fix it later.

• Members

I tried it, but it didn't seem to like 64-bit operating systems - it interfered with the audio. However, I agree it has all the right stuff, so if it works for you, great!

Thats too bad. As I said, its an old plugin. Likely only 32 bit compatible.

I dont use it allot, just on some stuff needing some RX.

I have other tools that will do the same job though.

I have maybe 4 or 5 phase meters. One is built into Cool Edit,

and theres another in my waves bundle.

Cakewalk has a good Phase correction tool in their sonitus collection.

I have a bunch of others kicking around on the drive but they really dont get much use.

If I dub down some old tape multitracks or stereo recordings to digital they might get used.

The phase can help a bit with cassette heads thet werent perfectly aligned and that kind of stuff.

• Members

anyone cares to explain why he uses a stereo scop while

having two ears and a pair of stereo monitors in front of him?

Because in an instructional video, it helps to engage as many senses as possible. If people can hear and see the results of an action, it solidifies the learning experience.

Also a correlation meter (which is often a part of a Goniometer plug-in) lets you know instantly whether there are phase issues. You don't have to go "hmm, I think this doesn't sound quite right...maybe there's a phase problem...I guess I'll go into an editor and flip the phase of one channel, then monitor in mono to see if there's a problem."

• Members

Because in an instructional video, it helps to engage as many senses as possible. If people can hear
and
see the results of an action, it solidifies the learning experience.

Also a correlation meter (which is often a part of a Goniometer plug-in) lets you know instantly whether there are phase issues. You don't have to go "hmm, I think this doesn't sound quite right...maybe there's a phase problem...I guess I'll go into an editor and flip the phase of one channel, then monitor in mono to see if there's a problem."

Okay. You check with the eye if there is an aural problem of any kind.

Do you know of an audio plug-in who auralizes what I see?

• Members

Okay. You check with the eye if there is an aural problem of any kind.

Sort of. It would be more accurate to say I check with the eye to confirm or deny what I'm hearing with my ears. It's faster than setting up a test that depends on ears only.

Same thing when mastering a song that was recorded in a room with bad acoustics, so the bass response looks like the Alps. I could sit there with a parametric and sweep, listen, sweep, listen and find the spots, or I can look at a spectrum analyzer and see, for example, that the "rogue resonances" I'm hearing are specifically at 72Hz and 96Hz.

Also remember that when teaching, there are proven benefits of engaging more than one sense to make a point.

Do you know of an audio plug-in who auralizes what I see?

There was a program for the Mac that could take images and translate them to sound. I think Cool Edit Pro might have had an option like that too, but I don't recall...it was some Windows program. The results were like aleatory music.

• CMS Author

When I had my remote truck, I had an oscilloscope permanently connected to the headphone output of the console that I used to monitor the phase relationship of the channels of the stereo mix. It was a great way to tell quickly if a mic was wired backwards or some other dumb problem like that. If I didn't recognize the problem from the sound, it was quick to mute channels until the scope display looked right.

I got used to seeing the traditional Lissajous pattern with mono in phase being a diagonal line at 45 degrees. I can't get used to these newfangled "phase scope" things with the tube rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.

• Members

That's very good to demonstrare an aural phenomena to eye people. And for me it could prevent that I export stereo tracks in mono for the mixer, damn I need a female stereo/mono/surround phase scope controller assistant.

For me all music is some kind of aleatoric, because I never found out from where musical ideas come, or in other words, I can't leave chaos to chance.

!!! Anyone knows the names of software for any of the digital audio production software which automatizes tracks export of an arrangement, sort of selecting tracks, push a button and all tracks get exported to seperate channels, and I go shopping with wifey and when I come back work is done?

• Members
That's very good to demonstrare an aural phenomena to eye people.

Or to get the point across faster to ear people.

Anyone knows the names of software for any of the digital audio production software which automatizes tracks export of an arrangement, sort of selecting tracks, push a button and all tracks get exported to seperate channels, and I go shopping with wifey and when I come back work is done?

If I understand you correctly, Sony Acid does that. It exports each track as its own audio file.

Archived